Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-14-2018, 07:57 PM   #15
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Drives: 2022 ZL1 A10
I agree with everything said above. The only other things that surprised me a bit..

If you are OCD about keeping a clean car you will be cleaning your wheels daily. Brembo brake dust will coat them after one trip.

The tires are performance tires and pick up every rock and toss it around the car.

These cars are not meant for <40 degrees, IMO.

the above are definitely not complaints, as they are necessary to support the high preference levels of this car. They were just the only three things about the car I don't enjoy. The supercharger is quiet..but some people like that.

that all being said, there is not another car on the market today for <75k that I would trade or give up my Gen 5 Z for. I love this car.

happy shopping
Old 03-14-2018, 08:54 PM   #16
MLC_LSA

Drives: 2013 Summit White ZL1 M6
Wow, thanks for all the advice guys, its all very valuable. It sounds like the ZL1 will be my future fun car. I'm not all too worried about the kid seat, my daughter will be almost 2 when this happens and even then I still have my daily driver to haul the family in (2017 Mazda CX-9).

Alan, glad to see another fellow Aston-ite on here. Sorry I just read this thread, the club does sound cool. I dont think I've seen your cars around. I live sorta behind Wendys, in the neighborhood across from the old Hennessey's bar.

I still have 80% of the Vette left. Pretty much everything except rear bumper, pass. 1/4 panel, all the lights, the seats, and some interior pieces and sections of carpet. Once the weather breaks Im going to try and sell 2/3 of what's left as a Factory Five GTM donor kit. My car was navy blue metallic with chrome C5z wheels on it and a loud exhaust. Maybe you saw it at some point. Although I only drove it 3k miles max per yr. It got hit on West Chester Pike in Newtown Square. Moppert Bros. in Morton was going to fix it until the guy's insurance declared it totaled because I wanted diminished value for the accident on top of the repairs.

Thanks for the responses so far, I enjoy the insight.

Mike
MLC_LSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:05 AM   #17
ZL1 TIBS

Drives: 1968 Camaro, 2012 ZL1
Mike, it sounds like you live in Pennell Manor. I know that neighborhood well. Let me know if you start parting the car out. I know a few people that may be interested in some of the parts. DO you happen to have a FAST intake on it, I am looking for one for my 68. Check out Delco Cruisers website for local happenings. Good luck with your ZL-1 search and feel free to reach out to me with any questions.
ZL1 TIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:08 PM   #18
MLC_LSA

Drives: 2013 Summit White ZL1 M6
Thanks Alan. I dont have a FAST on it, the LS1 is stock except for a 180 t-stat. I had a ported LS6 on it but sold that. I'll keep you posted. Right now Im going to try and sell the motor as part of a GTM kit.
MLC_LSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:10 PM   #19
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetRage320 View Post
The tires are performance tires and pick up every rock and toss it around the car.
Any specific areas that rocks hit you'd recommend doing like a 3M clear paint protection?
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:16 PM   #20
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post
Any specific areas that rocks hit you'd recommend doing like a 3M clear paint protection?
The rocks really aren't that bad, my 2013 ZL1 is still on stock tires and I have zero damage from rocks. All that really happens is at low speeds pulling into subs/driveways/parking lots etc. it picks up the little rocks and makes a little racket as they pelt the fender liners.

The spots you'd want to protect would be the rear fenders and the door possibly too. The flare in front of the rear tire catches everything from the front tires; water/mud, brake dust, rubber pieces, and road grime. Protecting that area would be very proactive.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:52 PM   #21
1Willy1

Drives: corvette z06
ive had two C5's , my second one was a top mounted supercharged 02 z06

I was so close to pulling thr trigger on a 3rd supercharged c5 last week, but the honest truth is they are very dated at this point

I really hated the interior, seats and the ride quality of the C5, I'm sure the zl1 will be better in all those areas

Regarding the weight, yea it sucks, but having a large car with a lot of power to me has more of a road presence and I'm not racing anyways so no big deal
1Willy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:42 AM   #22
CamaroSS1675

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I have a C5 Z06 and a 2013 ZL1. I really enjoy them both. My daily driver was a 2007 Dodge Charger SRT 8, great car too..lots of fun. Anyway long story short, I traded the SRT 8 in on a 5th Gen Camaro SS (auto)....not to start an argument but that auto SS was the slowest car I've ever owned. 7 months later dealer called said they had a ZL1 and asked if I was interested.yes deal was done. Anyway, I ended up buying a truck too so now I have two garage queens... actually 3. As for room for the kids in the back of a ZL1 they better be very small kids..lol.
Attached Images

CamaroSS1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:12 AM   #23
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
It's all in what you want. I had 3 different C5 Z06's and loved them all. I love my ZL1. It is mostly a street car but it has plenty of get up and go as well as handling. I think it is the best compromise out there. For the streetability ( I drove it from NH to MD to Sturgis and back one year) it can't be beat when considering it's track capabilities. If you want pure fast in straight line that is one car, if you want pure road course track car, that is another, if you want a street car, that is a third, but if you want something that can stand with any of those, then the ZL1 is a great car for that.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:47 PM   #24
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Drives: 2022 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post
I have applied the film behind the front tires about half way up to where the body flares out, I also have done the gill area and the area behind the rear tires. I did not do the front of the car as it is too intimidating to try and wrap it.
Old 03-21-2018, 08:55 AM   #25
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
So these are the recommended areas?
Attached Images

'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:58 AM   #26
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Yes. And the grill and lower hood.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:32 AM   #27
VRZL113

Drives: 2013 VR ZL1, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetRage320 View Post
I agree with everything said above. The only other things that surprised me a bit..

If you are OCD about keeping a clean car you will be cleaning your wheels daily. Brembo brake dust will coat them after one trip.

These cars are not meant for <40 degrees, IMO.

the above are definitely not complaints, as they are necessary to support the high preference levels of this car. They were just the only three things about the car I don't enjoy. The supercharger is quiet..but some people like that.

that all being said, there is not another car on the market today for <75k that I would trade or give up my Gen 5 Z for. I love this car.

happy shopping
Believe it or not, I've noticed the blower is much quieter when allowing the active exhaust to work as designed. With my Mild2Wild, and the valves open all the time, you can hear the blower a lot more in the 2-3k rpm range shifting normally. Def. not hellcat blower loud, but it does produce noticeable whine.
#3257 | 485whp 526wtq | K&N 63-3079 | Gates K080660HD (Green Belt) | ACDelco UPF48R | ZL1 Addons Wicker Bill | Mild2Wild
VRZL113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:49 PM   #28
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
For me, it's less the yellow area in the rear, and more the red. With ZL1ADDONS rock guards, I only get any kind of issue in the red circle in front of the rear tires.
Attached Images

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote