Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #351
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
After seeing more front plate brackets, I cringe even more at my front plate. I really wish this wasn't a front plate state. I still struggle with the value of it, but I am sure there is a good reason. I will just have to move to a state that doesn't require it!
You have a front plate? I don't remember you had one.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #352
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteman View Post
i posted a while back about the unevenness of the CFM paint on the driver's side door. has anyone gone out and looked at their driver's side door in the sun lately? i hadn't thought much about it for a while, and just yesterday noticed it while parked at a Target. it looks a lot worse now. i think it might be a paint defect. if anyone of you can go out and take a look at it in the parking lot, post back. i have seen this effect on one other 45th and would be interested to know if this is a widespread problem. maybe the CFM painting machine was broken or clogged on that side or something??

btw this is the picture i posted a couple of months back. if you look at the top part of the door, you can see how the paint appears to be blotchy...like one part is lighter than the part next to it. this is only pronounced and visible when the sun shines on the door at a weird angle. i don't see the same effect on the passenger door.
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #353
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Quote:
i posted a while back about the unevenness of the CFM paint on the driver's side door. has anyone gone out and looked at their driver's side door in the sun lately? i hadn't thought much about it for a while, and just yesterday noticed it while parked at a Target. it looks a lot worse now. i think it might be a paint defect. if anyone of you can go out and take a look at it in the parking lot, post back. i have seen this effect on one other 45th and would be interested to know if this is a widespread problem. maybe the CFM painting machine was broken or clogged on that side or something??

btw this is the picture i posted a couple of months back. if you look at the top part of the door, you can see how the paint appears to be blotchy...like one part is lighter than the part next to it. this is only pronounced and visible when the sun shines on the door at a weird angle. i don't see the same effect on the passenger door.
Clear shot, no mistake about it. Almost looks like the metallic wasn't evenly distributed in the paint while sprayed. I would definitely make some noise about that. Also, perhaps it was repainted at some point (even just leaving the factory or at dealer). Hate to say it, but it happens. I bet a repaint by a good shop would look better, worth asking for.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #354
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
BTW: It's still a gorgeous car/color.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #355
kiteman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
Clear shot, no mistake about it. Almost looks like the metallic wasn't evenly distributed in the paint while sprayed. I would definitely make some noise about that. Also, perhaps it was repainted at some point (even just leaving the factory or at dealer). Hate to say it, but it happens. I bet a repaint by a good shop would look better, worth asking for.
i had thought it was maybe a repaint. i called my dealer and taking it in later this week to have them use the paint thickness gauge to see if the door has been repainted. we will go from there. the thing is, back on page 4 or 5 of this thread i posted a picture of someone else's 45th that has the same problem on the door. so it really seems like an odd coincidence both doors on two of the same cars were manually repainted with the same results. that's why i thought maybe it was a paint defect or a problem with one of their guns at the factory. i am still eager to see if any other of the 45ths on here have had similar sightings.

Last edited by kiteman; 02-27-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #356
djcfuzz
Do somethin fun every day

Drives: 2012 45th V6 RS M6
I have stared at the lines on mine many times, even had a door ding removed on the passenger side (i.e. big bright light) never saw any kind of paint problem.
djcfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #357
Hendu

Drives: 2SS 45th Anniv LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightower View Post
You have a front plate? I don't remember you had one.
I didn't have it on until I got pulled over and warned about it. That would have been october/november. Now...well...it's there.

Mods:
Hurst short throw shifter,Heritage Grille, CAI Inc. cai, Window tint, skip shift eliminator, footwell lighting

To-Do List:
New Exhaust (or muffler delete)
P13w's
and More TBD
Hendu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #358
kiteman

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcfuzz View Post
I have stared at the lines on mine many times, even had a door ding removed on the passenger side (i.e. big bright light) never saw any kind of paint problem.
with mine, it cannot be duplicated with any light but sunlight, and it has to be at a very precise angle.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #359
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

I've never noticed a problem with mine. I went out to it today but it's cloudy out so I probably wouldn't be able to tell.

I went through all my pictures on my laptop of shots of my camaro in the sun and couldn't find anything odd.

And Hendu, is yours drilled into the bumper?
Old 02-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #360
kiteman

Quote:
I've never noticed a problem with mine. I went out to it today but it's cloudy out so I probably wouldn't be able to tell.

I went through all my pictures on my laptop of shots of my camaro in the sun and couldn't find anything odd.

can you see what i'm talking about in my picture? yeah give it a look when the sun comes out. you have to back away from your car a good 30' or more. pictures only capture it, if like me, you are trying to take a picture of the imperfection. otherwise you'll never catch it. see below of a picture of my car, in the sun and the sun is even reflecting off the door, and the imperfection is practically invisible. then the picture underneath it where the light/angle is just right (or wrong)...

vs.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #361
Hendu

Drives: 2SS 45th Anniv LS3
Quote:
Heck no. I rigged it with the lower grille and some anchors and padding. I intend to get a bracket to put on the bolts on the underside this summer if I can swing it.

Quote:
can you see what i'm talking about in my picture? yeah give it a look when the sun comes out. you have to back away from your car a good 30' or more. pictures only capture it, if like me, you are trying to take a picture of the imperfection. otherwise you'll never catch it. see below of a picture of my car, in the sun and the sun is even reflecting off the door, and the imperfection is practically invisible. then the picture underneath it where the light/angle is just right (or wrong)...
I haven't noticed this on mine yet, but something i'll keep an eye out for this summer after my car can stay clean longer than a day.

Mods:
Hurst short throw shifter,Heritage Grille, CAI Inc. cai, Window tint, skip shift eliminator, footwell lighting

To-Do List:
New Exhaust (or muffler delete)
P13w's
and More TBD
Hendu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #362
v6

Drives: 2012 45th 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falundir View Post
I'm one of the few who have gone psychotic with it and dove straight into the engine. No regrets at all =).

edit - here is a horrible video I took with my phone the other day after getting my car back from the shop. Just idling with the new setup below. Intentionally put my finger over the mic a few times to show volume differential.

saw yours at the run in san fran, nice!
v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #363
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Mine doesn't have the inconsistent paint on driver's door.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #364
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Heck no. I rigged it with the lower grille and some anchors and padding. I intend to get a bracket to put on the bolts on the underside this summer if I can swing it.
Oh well no worries then, you can either rig something up or there are a few that are made to fold out and up when you drive, and then go away for shows and meets.