Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-19-2016, 06:04 PM   #43
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
This is exactly what GM tried to do for me hence my orange brick sitting with a seized engine at 80k on the driveway

For those who have the chains replaced, keep checking the oil because this motor is also known for blowing
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:39 AM   #44
bologdl

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT RS
You can add me to the list of 2010 Camaro LT2 (111,000 miles) (Mobil 1) P0008 came on twice and now I have an appointment with the Chevy dealership to confirm that the TC is stretched and needs replacement. Engine still sounds normal so that is good. Timing Chains should not be stretching in this design cycle of this motor.

I open a case with Chevy but looks like I will be wasting my time.

The amazing part is we placed our faith in GM that they would build us a quality product and stand behind it. This faith came during their Chapter 11 Bankruptcy when they really needed us to have faith in them to help them out and we now see where that got us.

We all were Chevy ambassadors driving our 2010 5th generation Camaro drawing huge attention to the new design helping out in driving up sales. Instead Chevy could be driving up competitors sales with not owning up to this issue with TC.

Last edited by bologdl; 03-25-2016 at 08:26 AM.
bologdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:21 PM   #45
TJ91

Sorry to hear man my car has been sitting for a month almost. And GM was of no help.

Im not angry just thoroughly disappointed. Almost feel betrayed. Try my car sitting at 80,000km. She has been babied since day one and this is what I get in return.
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
Old 03-27-2016, 01:21 PM   #46
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bologdl View Post
You can add me to the list of 2010 Camaro LT2 (111,000 miles) (Mobil 1) P0008 came on twice and now I have an appointment with the Chevy dealership to confirm that the TC is stretched and needs replacement. Engine still sounds normal so that is good. Timing Chains should not be stretching in this design cycle of this motor.

I open a case with Chevy but looks like I will be wasting my time.

The amazing part is we placed our faith in GM that they would build us a quality product and stand behind it. This faith came during their Chapter 11 Bankruptcy when they really needed us to have faith in them to help them out and we now see where that got us.

We all were Chevy ambassadors driving our 2010 5th generation Camaro drawing huge attention to the new design helping out in driving up sales. Instead Chevy could be driving up competitors sales with not owning up to this issue with TC.
We all put our faith in GM an bought during bankruptcy.
You think they would have learned from the past, closing all those divisions down.
Consumers today want a quality product, free from known design flaws!
And a company that stands behind them.
After thinking about this a lot, I work on cars, the main problem is the complexity of the designs today, and the days
you have to spend reading, studying, and working on these things.
If it were a simple timing chain or heater core yrs ago it would be 3-4 hrs max.
Today 20+ hrs.

Last edited by TooCool5; 03-28-2016 at 12:29 PM.
TooCool5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:36 PM   #47
TJ91

I agree 100% it just bothers me that GM knows that this is an issue with this motor and they have extended coverage to everyone else but Camaro and thats what bothers me and makes me feel betrayed. Its the principle that they are correcting the issue on other models and denying it for the Camaro stating that it is not a known issue
Old 03-28-2016, 04:49 PM   #48
redleader
redleader

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
I agree 100% it just bothers me that GM knows that this is an issue with this motor and they have extended coverage to everyone else but Camaro and thats what bothers me and makes me feel betrayed. Its the principle that they are correcting the issue on other models and denying it for the Camaro stating that it is not a known issue

shaky ground indeed
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:09 PM   #49
W4rMach1ne

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT1
I will not buy another Chevy if my timing chain goes bad, and they dont fix it.
W4rMach1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:35 AM   #50
bologdl

I was able to confirm that the timing chain used in all of the GM vehicles that have the extended warranty is the same part number as the timing chain used in the Camaro V6.
I also open a case up with NTSB indicating this fact.

The best way to bring pressure on Chevy is to open cases with them as well as going to the NTSB web site and open a case about timing chains failures. We need numbers to pressure Chevy in reversing their decision in leaving Camaro's of off the extended warranty.

My Timing chain should be replaced today and I should have it back tomorrow with a timing chain that is under a dealership lifetime warranty for parts and labor if it should ever fail again. The dealership is Gengras Chevrolet East Hartford CT. ,maybe Chevy should learn from them on warranties.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:34 AM   #51
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Has this problem continued with the LFX?
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:49 PM   #52
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
I feel everyone's pain....not to hijack the thread....but us guinea pigs with the convertible problem tops (see convertible top section)....

and hopefully I don't have a problem with the TC also...that would be a double whammy...
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:44 AM   #53
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bologdl View Post
I was able to confirm that the timing chain used in all of the GM vehicles that have the extended warranty is the same part number as the timing chain used in the Camaro V6.
I also open a case up with NTSB indicating this fact.

The best way to bring pressure on Chevy is to open cases with them as well as going to the NTSB web site and open a case about timing chains failures. We need numbers to pressure Chevy in reversing their decision in leaving Camaro's of off the extended warranty.

My Timing chain should be replaced today and I should have it back tomorrow with a timing chain that is under a dealership lifetime warranty for parts and labor if it should ever fail again. The dealership is Gengras Chevrolet East Hartford CT. ,maybe Chevy should learn from them on warranties.
I have been there for an oil change.
Are you saying you are paying for the repair, and getting life warranty?
Did they acknowledge this known problem?
Old 03-30-2016, 11:59 AM   #54
redleader
redleader

Drives: 2010
Would a timing chain failure endanger life ?..
redleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:06 PM   #55
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
Has this problem continued with the LFX?
no the timing chains were in a few thousand 2009, 2010 models of GM vehicles i believe 2 or 3 chevy's a buick and one of the caddies. 2011 LLT and anything LFX these chains weren't used. This is an early model camaro issue and though i do feel anyones pain going through this a car is still a car it comes off an assembly line like anything else sometimes you get the lemon sometimes you get the one right before or after the lemon that runs and lasts as long as a tank.

Should GM acknowledge this issue? Yes

Will GM acknowledge this issue? No not until a timing chains let's go on a highway and causes a fatality. The chances of that happening are very very slim given how the car reacts to that damage unless the operator is going at excessive speeds and driving like an idiot in which case they may recognize the inherrent issue but blame it on poor operator choices.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:24 AM   #56
bologdl

TooCool5 Gengras Chevy will tell you when you use their Service Department they back all parts replacement with a lifetime warranty if it should ever failed including labor. I hope to confirm this today when I pick it up with something in writing from them.

I will have to pay for the timing chain replacement but they did cut me a deal on the two front wheel bearings they found bad during the test drive for the TC replacement.