Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #85
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Good for you, but your not pushing a 3500 pound vehicle either. Big difference there. As for running that speed with no real safety equipment I just hope you survive if you crash at 180 mph.
So the most popular Motorsport in America is a hick sport. You don't have to watch it.
and the guy sitting in the car isnt moving all over a 450lb bike trying to get it to turn, grip at the rear, etc. they just sit lol. i would make a decent bet that it takes MUCH more energy to race a bike at speed - but thats not the point.

it is popular thats for damn sure, lol. i dont need to like it to know that other people do. but yes, if you are not aware - its widely considered to be more of a down south good ole boys hick sport. i wont say however, is that it doesnt take skill. i beleieve it does - just not as much as some other racing - but thats more an opinion than anything else.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #86
Bertha II

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 SW
Quote:

Featured on Camaro5 HOMEPAGE

I just saw the announcement on Nascar.com the Camaro will be used in Nationwide Competition Next year in NASCAR. It's About Time!!! GO TEAM CHEVY!

Press release:

Just another example of why the stands at NASCAR races these days are just about half full and the tv ratings are just a fraction of what they once were. No wonder the Chevy execs did not agree to use the Camaro nameplate in NASCAR when the gen 5 came out a few years ago. Make the race cars look like they do when they come from the factory! That is what built the sport years ago....
TSP Stage 3 Cam, BBK SS/Ceramic Headers, Solo Cats, Borla Exhaust/Deletes, K&N CAI, Lethal Performance Tune, Carbotech Brakes, Phastek Braided Brake Lines, Brake Ducts, BMR/Eibach Springs, Hotchkis Sway Bars & End Links, BMR Chassis Connectors, Vorshlag Camber Plates, 1LE 3.91 Gear, Hurst Shifter, 2017 ZL1 Wheels, ZL1 Grille and Ground Effects, SLP Splitter, MPD1 Spoiler, Oracle Interior Lighting, Gen5DIY Headlight/Halo/DRL System
Bertha II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #87
LoPerformance Motorsports
Loperformance Motorsports

Drives: 2011 2LT
This is so awsome!!! I think it looks great! I have read some of the comments here and can see a lot of good points and bad. The good point I totally agree with. Now for the BAD points! I'll just say this......first thing $$$$$$"s is the key element here. Dont get me wrong here I LOVE TO WATCH AND GO SEE NASCAR RACES!!! Its all about the dollar, folks!
A lot of people dont understand how policed this sport is. I have seen it first hand in the garage area. Anyone that has not seen behind the gates dont have a clue. If you could only see the things that are checked on these cars it would boggle your mind. Promise!
I see the new Camaro to be as close to the factory as it can be. Every manufacture of each brand car is put through hours and hours of wind tunnel testing to make them as close as possible. This carries on to the track. Example: Watch the lap times on different make of cars. They will run within 100th's of a second of each other. Sometimes even closer than that.
Aerodynamics is why this car looks different than the stock models. So, it will be as close to other manufacture's as possible.
I thinks it will be neat to see on track.......make me wont to go and give them my $$$$$$$'s. "The future's so bright.....I got to wear Sunglasses" You go CHEVROLET you did'nt disappoint.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #88
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
and the guy sitting in the car isnt moving all over a 450lb bike trying to get it to turn, grip at the rear, etc. they just sit lol. i would make a decent bet that it takes MUCH more energy to race a bike at speed - but thats not the point.

it is popular thats for damn sure, lol. i dont need to like it to know that other people do. but yes, if you are not aware - its widely considered to be more of a down south good ole boys hick sport. i wont say however, is that it doesnt take skill. i beleieve it does - just not as much as some other racing - but thats more an opinion than anything else.
Apples and oranges there.

I digress this has gotten way off topic. My apologies to anyone who's feathers I have ruffled.

My main focus on this subject is whatever venue the Camaro is in it cannot hurt the image of the Camaro unless it fails to win. And I do not foresee that occurring.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #89
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
When Ford and Chrysler announced it would be racing the Mustang and Challenger in the Nationwide series Many people on this forum called for Chevy to run the Camaro. The Malibu would have been a mistake because just as the Impala it does not compete with the Mustang or Challenger. NASCAR had asked for all the manufacturers to use a muscle car as their nationwide race car. Chevy at first didn't want to bastardized the shape of the Camaro. But since then the success of both the Mustang and Challanger in the Nationwide series and their popularity along with the fact the Impala will no longer be the Cup entry they felt the time was right to switch to the Camaro. In the long run I feel Toyota will be the loser since they do not make anything similar to the Camaro, Mustang or Challenger.

Is it a perfect rendition of of the Camaro, No. But just having the Camaro name in front of millions of race fans every week can't be bad.
Well said. It's amazing how many fair weather fans there are on here.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:32 PM   #90
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

I guess the mods felt it necessary to add to my original post. All I had was saying I saw the announcement on NASCAR.com, I guess when they added it to the front page they added the other stuff. Would be nice if they let the OP know these things.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #91
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
I for one love NASCAR and i'm not from the south. I'm born and raised in Hawaii, of Asia decent and was introduced to NASCAR by a good friend of mine in 1992. Been watching NASCAR ever since. It's great that the Camaro is coming to NASCAR. I remember the term race on Sunday, sell on Monday and I believed it to true back then and to an extent today. People like to identify their cars to racing, be it rally racing, 4x4 racing, SCCA racing and so on. I love the Camaro and love NASCAR. So hopefully it will work in selling more cars for that particular brand. Good job Chevy...it's shows you do listen to your fans.

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #92
fbodyauto

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro 2LS
Now I can buy a Tony Stewart diecast Camaro (for the nationwide Daytona race next February)!
Old 07-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #93
BoomBoomKid

Drives: Gen 1 Gen 3 soon Gen 5
Camaro will be the winningest model

Camaros are winning races in Rolex, Continental, NHRA, Auto x'ing, Drifting, and soon in NASCAR...nothing but AWESOME!
Old 07-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #94
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
video

Old 07-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #95
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoomKid View Post
Camaros are winning races in Rolex, Continental, NHRA, Auto x'ing, Drifting, and soon in NASCAR...nothing but AWESOME!
The more you race the more you win the more you sell. Every racing series has a fan base. All part of Advertizing. Every race is like a 3 to 24 hour commercial for each manufacturer. What manufacturer wouldn't want to partipate in as many race series as possible?
Old 07-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #96
BoomBoomKid

Drives: Gen 1 Gen 3 soon Gen 5
Quote:
The more you race the more you win the more you sell. Every racing series has a fan base. All part of Advertizing. Every race is like a 3 to 24 hour commercial for each manufacturer. What manufacturer wouldn't want to partipate in as many race series as possible?
Oh I forgot Indy cars.

I agree, yet performance plays a big part in racing and winning, the teams that field Chevy products always win. A lot of this is due to the technical help from the manufacture, Chevrolet is one of the best. Chevrolet engine designs have always been some of the best. Isn't it interesting not long ago GM went chapter 11 and now they spend $$$ to field race teams.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #97
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoomKid View Post
Oh I forgot Indy cars.

I agree, yet performance plays a big part in racing and winning, the teams that field Chevy products always win. A lot of this is due to the technical help from the manufacture, Chevrolet is one of the best. Chevrolet engine designs have always been some of the best. Isn't it interesting not long ago GM went chapter 11 and now they spend $$$ to field race teams.
Actually in nascar, Toyota provides more technical assistance and race engines to their teams than anyone else. Because they have the deepest pockets.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #98
dragom
2G1FB1EV3A9121989

Drives: Rally Yellow RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWarz View Post
No there isn't. All it is, is yokel celebrity racing. Its the same yawnorific circle no matter where they go. Far less tech than there should be. We hit 200mph ages ago buddy lets push an envelope to make this racing interesting. 300mph on a 90 degree bank sounds like a goal to shoot for. Remember right now the only thing interesting about nascar is the crash highlights, and even so, not so much anymore. I didn't say use stock bodied cars, but if your going to butcher everything you may as well go for the show. The killing people comment was kinda unwarrented. But I can see your nascar butthurt flaming all over this thread, so I understand. Calm down and realize that most people do not enjoy it.

Most people do not enjoy it and you got your numbers off of what survey. Or is that just your opinion. If you haven't seen nascar tech go thru a car after the race then you do not know what is involved . NASCAR you either like it or hate it. I can pretty well tell you hate it, but that is your right .
dragom is offline   Reply With Quote