Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-05-2010, 09:36 PM   #715
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
constant cold air hitting an area will make it colder than the ambient temperature.at least that's my understanding. I think it happened with the New eras too.
That would mean that any CAI that is keeping their air at or very near ambient temps would do the same thing. No one else is claiming this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacker View Post
I disagree. It is possible to see a lower than ambient temp with certain airflow characteristics. Anytime air is allowed to expand there is a direct decrease in temp. I'm guessing this is part of the unit. The update to Palmer can read ambient vs IAT. When I get back into town next week I will run some more logs with the race unit.
Where is the air expanding? For air to expand, it has to be compressed first. If anything, it has to compress to get into the tube, from the big box. If they are still claiming to be able to get positive pressure in the manifold, then the air is being compressed even more.

I'm just trying to figure out how they claim to be able to get below ambient air with their unit. I've heard anywhere from your 5 degrees to 20 degrees below ambient. 5 degrees could be within the margin of error while driving around but 20 is just out there. Sorry if this is coming across as me being stubborn but i'd like to hear the REASON they are getting these numbers. I appreciate yalls ideas as to why you think it's happening but some of it doesn't hold water. I tend to doubt anything new until it's been proven by someone that doesn't have a stake in it's success or has profited from it. That's not putting you beta testers down, just that yall recieved free units. Several of yall have given honest opinions and we appreciate that but there's still that thinking on OUR side that you're somewhat obligated to VR.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:22 PM   #716
towmoe

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro
Quote:
I'm testing the race unit now. Just ran it at idle then had to leave town. I did have over 100 miles on the last unit, but it was the 3" tune model and yes it did buck but it should have. I could have tuned it for drivability but did not want to repeat effort since the race unit was coming. I'm not a good candidate for the "no tune" as I only run tune units.
Is Vararam selling race units now?
Old 02-06-2010, 01:02 AM   #717
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
That would mean that any CAI that is keeping their air at or very near ambient temps would do the same thing. No one else is claiming this.

Where is the air expanding? For air to expand, it has to be compressed first. If anything, it has to compress to get into the tube, from the big box. If they are still claiming to be able to get positive pressure in the manifold, then the air is being compressed even more.

I'm just trying to figure out how they claim to be able to get below ambient air with their unit. I've heard anywhere from your 5 degrees to 20 degrees below ambient. 5 degrees could be within the margin of error while driving around but 20 is just out there. Sorry if this is coming across as me being stubborn but i'd like to hear the REASON they are getting these numbers. I appreciate yalls ideas as to why you think it's happening but some of it doesn't hold water. I tend to doubt anything new until it's been proven by someone that doesn't have a stake in it's success or has profited from it. That's not putting you beta testers down, just that yall received free units. Several of yall have given honest opinions and we appreciate that but there's still that thinking on OUR side that you're somewhat obligated to VR.
I actually paid for my unit...

Patrick could probably give a long dissertation on how the unit is able to achieve sub-ambient temps, but I think most people would get lost. In one word Vacuum. I agree there is a margin of error here. Like I said when I get back I will run some logs on the new intake.

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

www.6l80tuning.com www.6l90tuning.com
Wacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:05 AM   #718
towmoe

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro
Quote:
I'm testing the race unit now. Just ran it at idle then had to leave town. I did have over 100 miles on the last unit, but it was the 3" tune model and yes it did buck but it should have. I could have tuned it for drivability but did not want to repeat effort since the race unit was coming. I'm not a good candidate for the "no tune" as I only run tune units.
You're testing a race unit? Is this something that Vararam is selling?

Last edited by towmoe; 02-06-2010 at 09:56 AM.
towmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:06 AM   #719
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
I actually paid for my unit...

Patrick could probably give a long dissertation on how the unit is able to achieve sub-ambient temps, but I think most people would get lost. In one word Vacuum. I agree there is a margin of error here. Like I said when I get back I will run some logs on the new intake.
I'd like to hear Patricks explanation then. I've heard what yall have thought could be happening and what has been explained to you, but there's quite a few pieces missing here. Again, I do appreciate yours and Tags honesty about your experiences.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 02-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #720
RobertHarriSS

Drives: 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
I'd like to hear Patricks explanation then. I've heard what yall have thought could be happening and what has been explained to you, but there's quite a few pieces missing here. Again, I do appreciate yours and Tags honesty about your experiences.
Give him a call: 1-713-477-8100. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to explain it all to you. As any of us that have spoken to Patrick can attest to, he's more than willing to talk your ear off.
RobertHarriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:01 AM   #721
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Originally Posted by towmoe View Post
You're testing a race unit? Is this something that Vararam is selling?
I have a race unit and it runs GREAT.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #722
SwiftCat
Get me my meds!

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 & solid black, baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
I have a race unit and it runs GREAT.
Hey Powerfreak,
Just out of curiosity, who did you have do your tune after you put the unit on? I've got mine through Vector, so I'm waiting for Kirk to grab on to one of the "tune-only" units so he can maximize it before I put mine on.

Swifty

P.S. As they say, don't go to war w/out your helmet on!

The legend continues...
SwiftCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #723
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftCat View Post
Hey Powerfreak,
Just out of curiosity, who did you have do your tune after you put the unit on? I've got mine through Vector, so I'm waiting for Kirk to grab on to one of the "tune-only" units so he can maximize it before I put mine on.
Chuck CoW...of Corvette's of Westchester. He can do mailorder tunes if you have EFI Live.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #724
Johnwayne
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ject View Post
No Deal is 100% until it the deed is done.

Out of respect to myself and other members, Pm's are being/have been sent to certain members to discuss what has been said in here that I find dis-respectful.

Before any negative Nancys jump on this, I am just stating what I have, what I noticed and I don't have.

I was #23 on pre-order, replacement unit is here, have tested it on car just a few moments ago. First notice was the unit felt more sold and less fragile as the first one did. Have 26ish miles on replacement unit thus far and still some bucking but not as extreme as first unit (bucking could possibly go away as more miles are added &/or tweaking of tune)

I scoured the bottom of the peanut filled box for a return label, then the outside of box hoping to find a packing pouch with it inside maybe. None to my avail. Possibly over looked? possibly UPS knocked it off?

If anyone wants to know more of my input on the original vs revised unit, PM me out of respect or if you don't agree with anything, still PM out of respect to discuss.

Until then, enjoy.
This is why i wont buy this piece of shit it's all hyped up and thrown together quick and tons of preorders it's too much for them to handle and they rushed it all. It's garbage there are tons of "units" with problems..... Let me just end it with this soooooo out of all the CAI's out there how many had "bucking", "leaking" and "customer service" problems where they wont take the thing and wont refund money. Just my .02
Johnwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:39 PM   #725
SwiftCat
Get me my meds!

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 & solid black, baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnwayne View Post
This is why i wont buy this piece of shit it's all hyped up and thrown together quick and tons of preorders it's too much for them to handle and they rushed it all. It's garbage there are tons of "units" with problems..... Let me just end it with this soooooo out of all the CAI's out there how many had "bucking", "leaking" and "customer service" problems where they wont take the thing and wont refund money. Just my .02
Kind of a moronic rant if you ask me...your $.02 isn't worth squat because you don't have a clue what you're talking about. First, the units aren't crap (I've got one on my car right now), and second, Steve was willing to refund me when I considered going with another CAI...although I've decided to try out a replacement that is sealed better.
Until you've tried one, remember that R&D isn't always an exact science...and compared with some of the other vendors I've dealt with, these guys have been pretty "stand up" in my humble opinion.
Swifty

The legend continues...
SwiftCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:20 AM   #726
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnwayne View Post
You are on a roll tonight.....
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:04 AM   #727
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Kind of a moronic rant if you ask me...your $.02 isn't worth squat because you don't have a clue what you're talking about. First, the units aren't crap (I've got one on my car right now), and second, Steve was willing to refund me when I considered going with another CAI...although I've decided to try out a replacement that is sealed better.
Until you've tried one, remember that R&D isn't always an exact science...and compared with some of the other vendors I've dealt with, these guys have been pretty "stand up" in my humble opinion.
Swifty
While I agree with your assessment of the quoted poster, why is the retail customer involved in R&D? Shouldn't that have been taken care of LONG before you got your hands on it?
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 02-07-2010, 08:57 AM   #728
Wacker
INTHECLOUDS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Swifty

11.39 @ 118 510 DA

www.6l80tuning.com www.6l90tuning.com
Wacker is offline   Reply With Quote