Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 02-24-2023, 01:49 PM   #1
ws6_7867

Drives: 2002 Trans-Am WS6
Moog lower ball joint fitment

I had a GM tech press in my MOOG problem solver Ball joints. I saw a little gap when looking through the arm, which to me looks like a casting issue on the arm and not a BJ fitment issue.

When comparing the ball joints that came out, they have a rust ridge that mimics the fitment of these. I'd assume this is just how the arms are and a gap is there maybe from casting.

Video :

2002 Firebird Original Ball Joint - Rust Ridge - YouTube

Thoughts?

ws6_7867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 11:31 AM   #2
Whicated

Drives: brand
Quote:
Originally Posted by ws6_7867 View Post
I had a GM tech press in my MOOG problem solver Ball joints. I saw a little gap when looking through the arm, which to me looks like a casting issue on the arm and not a BJ fitment issue.

When comparing the ball joints that came out, they have a rust ridge that mimics the fitment of these. I'd assume this is just how the arms are and a gap is there maybe from casting.

Video :

2002 Firebird Original Ball Joint - Rust Ridge - YouTubegeometry dash lite

Thoughts?

It's possible that the gap you are seeing is due to a casting issue on the arm, but without seeing it in person it's hard to say for sure. It's also possible that the ball joint wasn't installed properly, causing the gap.

When it comes to the rust ridge on the old ball joints, that is a normal occurrence due to the constant movement and friction of the joint. Over time, rust can build up on the surface of the ball joint, creating a ridge that matches the shape of the joint.
Whicated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 09:54 AM   #3
ws6_7867

Drives: 2002 Trans-Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whicated View Post
It's possible that the gap you are seeing is due to a casting issue on the arm, but without seeing it in person it's hard to say for sure. It's also possible that the ball joint wasn't installed properly, causing the gap.

When it comes to the rust ridge on the old ball joints, that is a normal occurrence due to the constant movement and friction of the joint. Over time, rust can build up on the surface of the ball joint, creating a ridge that matches the shape of the joint.
Thanks! It looks flush around the other half of the hole. The Tech said it went in straight but is bottomed out, I tried with my press at work and it wouldn't go any further - felt like it was going to bend the arm. Im going to say its likely arm shape as it torqued to spec and everything seemed to fit up correctly!
ws6_7867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 11:59 AM   #4
Oxtar41

Drives: 700 rwhp 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ws6_7867 View Post
Thanks! It looks flush around the other half of the hole. The Tech said it went in straight but is bottomed out, I tried with my press at work and it wouldn't go any further - felt like it was going to bend the arm. Im going to say its likely arm shape as it torqued to spec and everything seemed to fit up correctly!
I'd be more concerned with the cracking on the rotor.