Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 04-27-2019, 01:03 PM   #15
Redvert12

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have a 2012 and have used it almost always. I have shiny areas on the top where it contacts the cover at speeds. Only drawback that I see.
Redvert12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:18 PM   #16
sanacm

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS, 2015 Camaro convert
I use mine all the time. I like the sharp look with the tonneau installed.
sanacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:46 PM   #17
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
i use it, i noticed the top would flop around from the wind . the top was replaced early on for some fraying from the convertible top frame. the tonneau keeps it from flopping at highway speed. i put a towel between the top folds on each side to make sure the top doesn't rub.

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:46 PM   #18
EVL ZL1

Drives: 2014 Convertible ZL1
I’m thinking about buying a 911. Watching a video about previous generation 911 convertible the top itself becomes the tonneau cover and nothing covers it. If Porsche is not concerned about debris getting inside of the area around the folded top.
EVL ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:11 AM   #19
joekono

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2014 1LT
I like putting it on mostly for protecting the top(and keeping it clean doesn't hurt). It's a bit of a pain to just want to hop in the car, hit the top down button and go but the top needs protection in my opinion, at high speeds especially.
joekono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #20
Whoomba

Drives: 2024Camaro 2SS CE Convertible
The only time I’ve used it is to dress up in the few car shows I’ve done and for a long road trip when it will be down awhile.
Whoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:40 PM   #21
Vanishing Point

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS, LSX, 4L80E
I guess I’m the oddball. I don’t like the look of the tonneau. Looks old fashioned, less than tight and clean. I have a matte black 3M wrap that it just contrasts with in a bad way. The top certainly does catch wind at high speeds. Usually ok up to about 85. Once I get into the 100s it catches air so bad it gets pretty highly elevated. Then sometimes it won’t go back down on its own when I slow back down. I pull over, raise it the rest of the way, then lower it and it then goes fully into the tucked in the trunk position.

I’m having some other work done and have decided when I get a chance later, I’m going to try something completely unconventional. Not sure if it will work but its worth a try. Going to bond a magnet to the edge of the canopy at the center of the leading lip by where you operate the manual latch. When in the down position that rigid panel edge is the upper fold in the trunk, and that edge is right at the back of the rear seats. I want to install an L bracket with an electric magnet on it mounted to the trunk side of the back seat, that will match up with the canopy magnet in the down position.

The regular magnetic bond would be weak, and not hold the top down at speed but when I throw the switch powering the electromagnet on the L bracket, it will increase the magnetism and lock onto the top and hold it in place. When I park, I just need to toggle the electromagnet switch off and the bond would be weak again. This should allow separation to motor the top back up and closed.

A consideration is the non rigid part of the canopy will fold into place behind the L bracket so the L bracket cant stick out much or it would catch the fabric. I wont be able to see how well it clears until install time but as long as I make it small and don’t extend it too far it shouldn’t be a problem. If it is, I could rig a folding L bracket to come up on a hinge after the top folds past it.

I very, very rarely leave the top down when I’m not attending the car. Maybe a quick run in the gas station if I can still see it, or dining where I can sit outside by it. I don’t trust people. People can be assholes. They could spit in it, throw trash in it, sit in it to take photos or rummage through it for personal items. I’m often carrying a firearm in the car so that leaves me liable if not locked. So anyway, keeping the top up except for driving doesn’t allow for much debris to get down there. What dust does get in cleans relatively easily.

If it works well, maybe I’ll mass produce it and sell you all a system. Though really that was not the goal or I wouldn’t have revealed my master plans with you all.

Last edited by Vanishing Point; 07-24-2019 at 02:13 AM.
Vanishing Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:44 PM   #22
lobo302

Drives: 2014 Camaro LT
I use to use mine all the time, and it worked well untill someone stole it off my car while I was in shopping.I gota tell you, still kinda wonder why ????.

I mite get a new one next year, still don't know.
lobo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:43 AM   #23
Vanishing Point

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS, LSX, 4L80E
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo302 View Post
I use to use mine all the time, and it worked well untill someone stole it off my car while I was in shopping.I gota tell you, still kinda wonder why ????.

Thanks for proving my point that people can’t be trusted enough to leave your top down unattended. And if they stole that, they probably looked in the glovebox and armrest and possibly the trunk.
Vanishing Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:38 PM   #24
lobo302

Drives: 2014 Camaro LT
There is nothing for them to steal. I understand what your saying but they were pretty ballsy.
lobo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:07 PM   #25
Redvert12

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo302 View Post

I have a good used one bungee cord type with velcro sewn to long flap. Carrying case included. Will ship to lwr 48. $250.00
Redvert12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:46 PM   #26
Sxren_Camaro'13
SEAHAWKS FOR LIFE!!

Drives: '13 Mod Camaro LS
Can Someone link a tonnaue cover for cheap so i can buy it thx. iknow i spelled it eorng my keyboard is jacked lol
Sxren_Camaro'13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:15 AM   #27
LaN-

Drives: 2014 SS Convertible
I’ve got one for sale. PM me an offer

628/525

Suspension: Koni orange, (BMR everything) 1" drop springs, toe rods, trailer arms, non adjustable LCR, FE4 sway bars, sub frame connectors, delrin sub frame bushing and upper control arm bushings. Front bushings.
LaN- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 06:46 PM   #28
Farmboy

Drives: Chevrolet camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18LTLoveIt View Post
Don't have & don't care. I won't pay 200-250 for something I'll use rarely.
They are quite a bit more than that!!
Farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote