Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-07-2020, 01:06 PM   #1
Baseball
Baseball...and Chevrolet

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
"That's a _______ thing"

I was thinking of muscle car accessories / features, and realized, at least for me, certain of these features seem to generally identified with a specific make or model. I realize this isn't universal, and isn't meant to imply that other makes or models shouldn't incorporate or add these features, but I was wondering if other forum readers felt the same.
For instance, I identify rally stripes as a "Camaro thing," and maybe with prior GM models like Chevelles and others, while I would associate fender hashes with Mopars. Rear window louvers seems to generally be a Mustang thing.
One feature that may be more amorphous is engine size callouts or badges. Camaros don't seem to do this much, as "6.2 liter" just doesn't seem to be a size that engenders emotions like "427". However, with the 5.0 liter engine size, Mustangs seem to advertise this regularly, and the 392 Challengers and Chargers display this displacement size often.
Again, many Camaro owners add hash marks, 6.2 liter engine callouts, rear and side window louvers, and other noted features and they look cool. Not looking to incite criticism here.
Do other readers agree/disagree with my premise? Do other features come to mind that seem to be more of a ______ thing, associated with a specific make or model?
Ecclesiastes 12:13
Baseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:18 PM   #2
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Features - a big-ass puddle of oil. Means a Ford was there.
ADVMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:11 PM   #3
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Add big yellow hash stripes to the left and right sides of your front splitter.
Kidding, you don't wanna drive around town looking like you rode the short bus to school.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:47 PM   #4
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
Add big yellow hash stripes to the left and right sides of your front splitter.
Kidding, you don't wanna drive around town looking like you rode the short bus to school.
Well they did buy dodges just saying haha
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:57 PM   #5
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
i see where youre going with this,and i agree.like hood mounted tach is a pontiac thing.
redcoats1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:02 PM   #6
Sparko

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVMax View Post
Features - a big-ass puddle of oil. Means a Ford was there.
LOL or a Harley

I have always associated racing stripes that go to the ground to be a Ford thing, idk what justification I had, if any, when I developed that opinion. Have always felt that rear end heavy graphics to be a Mopar thing, thinking SuperBee and such.
'87 HD FXRT - Wrecked pending repair
Sparko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:11 PM   #7
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Used to be round tail lights was a Corvette thing, but obviously not any more.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:35 PM   #8
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

The yellow strips on the Dodge air damns is kinda funny.

Those are actually shipping skid protectors so the air dam doesn't get scuffed up. Some people started telling the dealers to leave them on and it got to be a thing. I don't think they actually have a replacement part number, it's a PDI removed shipping/packaging part. That makes it unobtainium so people go nuts over them. I kind like the way it looks on the black cars.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:36 PM   #9
ADVMax
Sporting Foole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheap Guy View Post
Used to be round tail lights was a Corvette thing, but obviously not any more.

and BMW 2002's

real BMWs have round tail lights
Old 08-07-2020, 09:13 PM   #10
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Quote:

Those are actually shipping skid protectors so the air dam doesn't get scuffed up. Some people started telling the dealers to leave them on and it got to be a thing. I don't think they actually have a replacement part number, it's a PDI removed shipping/packaging part. That makes it unobtainium so people go nuts over them. I kind like the way it looks on the black cars.
Even some jackass at dodge did a rendering of a possible next gen challenger that had them on the splitter. Made me laugh that they must have at least entertained making them an actual part of the car.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:04 PM   #11
joekono

Drives: Camaro Convertible 2014 1LT
Funny this was brought up. I just had a conversation with a Challenger owner who had no clue that the yellow strips are shipping skid protectors. I explained to him that they are held on with plastic rivets and would need "the special tool kit" to remove them. I did tell him to hold on to them.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:35 PM   #12
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I think this is one of the most cogent posts I’ve seen in a while. It’s refreshing to see a command of the English language while we’re subjected to the eloquence of, “ACAB” being spray painted on buildings around America right now.

As a kid, I remember walking the neighborhood and also watching cars pass when I was a crossing guard, and I hung on every engine badge’s number. I was a Chevy man (kid) then too. The ubiquitous “350” badges were common later on. The crossed flags before that with 283, 327, 396 and the much more rarer 409 and 427 were like a holy grail to this kid.

So, yes, these things did indeed define muscle cars for me. But the Mustangs, Chargers, Road Runners, et all weren’t lost on me either. I was only 12 in 1968. In the next life - where I’m convinced time travel is a perk, I’m going back as a 16 year old with a real driver’s license!
Old 08-07-2020, 11:17 PM   #13
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:

They are even selling these things on Ebay. People actually search for them to buy and install on their cars. I am so glad our cars didn't have anything like this.

WTF?!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2019-Wide-B...MAAOSwVnBfDxig

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-18-19-...4AAOSw38dfI1xg
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 07:05 PM   #14
GAD

Drives: Silver 2014 Camaro 2SS
I have my hood wrapped flat black. I was told “that’s a mopar thang, but I’ll let it slide”
2014 Silver 2SS L99 with Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LT Headers, Kooks Cat-less 3” exhaust, TS Stage 3.2 VVT CAM, Circle D 3200 Stall, E85 Kit, FIC 850cc injectors and Elite Engineering Catch Can. Dynoed at 478rwhp.
GAD is offline   Reply With Quote