Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-29-2019, 02:39 PM   #15
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
I think he is referring to the fact that I have a stage 3 NA cam at the moment. Not sure how well that would play with a PD blower. Supposedly centri blowers like NA cams so I would likely be fine there as opposed to PD or turbo. Though I have seen people go turbo and later swap out to a "boost" cam from their NA and end up losing power. Not on this specific platform though.

Regardless, I will probably just keep the cam I have either way until after boosting, then see if it is or is not doing what I want/need it to. If I need to swap it, I will get something custom spec'd.
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:58 PM   #16
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Oh I didn't catch what cam you had. shame on me for not rereading everything. Depends on your overlap. too much and you'll be blowing your boost right out the back but I am no cam selection expert. I am currently figuring out what cam I want to run myself.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:35 PM   #17
SQUEEGIO

Drives: 2011 LS3 Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm in the same boat trying to decide between FI setups and I'm losing sleep lol.

Would it be correct to assume that a PD setup is harsher on the engine internals in the long run due to the "instant boost" at such low RPM? Compared to a smooth build-up with centrifugals.

Another weird thought crossing my mind right now.. MPG between PD and centris at cruising speeds and daily driving situations.. which one sees boost more often? Does the BPV/BOV take care of that until you really mash it?

I know it's a sin around here to talk about mods and MPGs, BUT for people that daily their cars sometimes that matters more than we'd like to admit. I love driving my car right now because can get very good MPGs when I'm just driving around and still have some power when I want it. I'd hate to ruin that aspect of it.

Lastly.. I apologise to the boost gods for talking about MPGs
SQUEEGIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:14 PM   #18
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
MPGs...... Generally, won't change much at all unless you change the cam. Or, you like a lot of throttle.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:45 AM   #19
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
I'm on a whipple I can drive all day long and never get into boost. When I am just cruising around boost never hits unless I'm climbing a hill in a lower gear sometimes I'll hit a pound or two. I never WOT under about 3k. I don't think there's any real difference. Main thing is a good tune, no detonation. Driving habits have much more effect IMO.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:48 AM   #20
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUEEGIO View Post
I'm in the same boat trying to decide between FI setups and I'm losing sleep lol.

Would it be correct to assume that a PD setup is harsher on the engine internals in the long run due to the "instant boost" at such low RPM? Compared to a smooth build-up with centrifugals.
Generally speaking, they seem to be the harshest on both the engine itself, as well as the driveline from what I read. Though with the ls3, the engine isn't a big concern at low boost, regardless of method to get there.

I know growing up I loved (still do) riding in my dad's trans am with a Weiand blower sticking out of the hood. Just the instant power a PD blower produces is incredibly fun on the street.

The smooth build up of power with the centri seems really appealing from a "keeping shit intact on the strip" perspective.

I cannot personally speak to fuel mileage for either on this platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
MPGs...... Generally, won't change much at all unless you change the cam. Or, you like a lot of throttle.
I noticed a little hit with my cam/gears, but not as much as expected. It got 24.5mpg bringing it home all stock. I get about 22.5-23 cruising down the highway now. Granted, when I just take it out to drive rowdy, I get like 7mpg...but it's fun!
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:29 PM   #21
SYNGSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS 6 Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
If your like me than
Attached Images