Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 11-18-2018, 10:52 AM   #1
suplex

Drives: 2011 Coupe, 1LT, A6, No RS Package.
Arrow 5th Generation V6 vs. 6th Generation 4-Cyl

Hello Everyone,

I haven't been here in a while and this may have come up in other threads, but I wanted to ask a question about something. I am not condoning racing at all by asking this, it's just more of a performance question.

The 5th Generation V6 Camaros have an approximate curb weight of 3,728-lbs (after Google checking it) and they started with 312-hp (which is what I have in my 2011 1LT).

The 6th Generation 4-Cyl Camaros have an approximate curb weight of 3,339-lbs, and they have a Turbo which gives them 275-hp.

My question is this. The 6th Gen weighs about 400-lbs less (389 to be exact) than the 5th Gen, but also has 37 less hp (if you compare 6th Gen 4-Cyl vs. 5th Gen V6). Would 37 less HP be compensated for by moving a vehicle that's 389 pounds lighter, to a point where it may be able to get to a 1/4 mile finish line first?

To people that don't feel that a Camaro has to have a V8 and that's that, 275-hp does sound like enough to get the vehicle out of it's own way, but I am just wondering how a 6th Gen 4-Cyl would perform if I was used to a 5th Gen V6, considering the less HP...but also...the less weight.

I wouldn't even question that a 6th Gen V6 would out perform a 5th Gen V6 because the 6th Gen has 23 More HP (335 vs. 312)...AND...weighs less. I would just like to hear some performance comments about a 6th Gen 4-Cyl vs. a 5th Gen V6.

Thank you.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:54 PM   #2
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
While I haven't driven your options...

While the 5th and 6th gen both use the same 3.27 final drive, the 6th gen has slightly smaller tires, giving it a bit of acceleration advantage.
Then, the 10-speed on the 6th gen has more aggressive gearing then the 6-speed.
And a turbo, while it might have some lag, once it gets rolling, will not slow down on an upshift. You will get a kick in the ass when 2nd gear hits.
But, just like a V8 vs. V6, the farther you go, the farther the more powerful engine will pull away.
Another consideration is that accessories, like AC, will pull a higher percentage of power from a 4 than it will from a 6. I had a Sentra SE-R SpecV, which was very quick. Until I turned on the AC.

Up to you if you like the better acceleration of the 6 or the better mileage of the 4.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:18 AM   #3
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
The Gen6 (2016+) 2.0 Turbo is faster than the Gen5 V6 in both 0-60 and 1/4 mile due to the lighter weight and better gearing. Around a 1/2 second or so stock to stock.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:19 AM   #4
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Big 4 cylinders with a turbo can be pretty potent, vs NA V6 or whatever. Typically smallish turbos give a broad torque wave from low rpm. Peak power is less important in this case. Direct injected turbo 4 bangers are especially capable vs old school 4cyl turbo.

Then the fact that you can turn up the boost and usually get 40% power boost.

I've thought about the 4cyl Gen6 as a different path to take, but it's hard for me think of a turbo 4 in a muscle car as a viable option - for some reason it has to be in a smaller car, but that's just how my brain has been trained.
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:15 PM   #5
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkevind View Post
Big 4 cylinders with a turbo can be pretty potent, vs NA V6 or whatever. Typically smallish turbos give a broad torque wave from low rpm. Peak power is less important in this case. Direct injected turbo 4 bangers are especially capable vs old school 4cyl turbo.

I've thought about the 4cyl Gen6 as a different path to take, but it's hard for me think of a turbo 4 in a muscle car as a viable option - for some reason it has to be in a smaller car, but that's just how my brain has been trained.
There was a guy on You Tube who had a Gen6 2.0T with a tune that was getting really good power and numbers. But he also later blew up his engine so maybe a little over on the extra boost.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:26 PM   #6
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Even tho I own a V8 Camaro...the ls is known to be a solid motor. I have zero faith in any domestic 4 cyl motors....turbo or not. The imports are the only 4cyl motor I would own.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:11 PM   #7
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Even tho I own a V8 Camaro...the ls is known to be a solid motor. I have zero faith in any domestic 4 cyl motors....turbo or not. The imports are the only 4cyl motor I would own.
I had high hopes for the Olds Quad 4 of the early 90’s. But, yeah I agree. Too many US duds in that segment.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:24 PM   #8
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
I had high hopes for the Olds Quad 4 of the early 90’s. But, yeah I agree. Too many US duds in that segment.
Terrible stuff for sure. Not all but damn near most.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 06:54 AM   #9
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
had a loaner 4 cylinder turbo while my v6 was in the shop for TPMS issues.it was pretty quick off a stoplight,but the engine sounded like it belonged in a tractor.factor in the premium fuel recommended and the fact that im not normally racing on the street,i went with the 6.no turbo,intercooler,etc. to replace later in the ownership cycle.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:44 AM   #10
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
The turbo 4 runs about the same times as the 5th gen V6 unless it's a 2LS with the higher rear gearing. The 6th gen V6 runs about .5 secs quicker. Many magazine tests were getting 13.7-13.8 compared to Chevy's optimistic 13.5 secs.

Lighter curb weight, smaller diameter tires and more aggressive gearing on the auto.

Also, the 5th gen V6 had the WOT restriction until 40 mph. I don't know if the 6th gen has the same thing on the V6.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:54 PM   #11
1LEJNG

Drives: Red Hot 2014 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkevind View Post

It isnt a muscle car!
1LEJNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:44 AM   #12
zlob

Drives: GS350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
So true!! That quad 4 was a beast. One of my buddies had on in his Grand Am. We'd crush Mustangs all day!
zlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #13
captaincog

Drives: 1971 350RS/SS 4sp
Interesting thread and after having my 2013 V6 at the dealer so they could install the correct oil pan after replacing the engine since the tech left out 3 bolts. Thankfully the shop next to my office found it so my faith in them is really good now. After the dealer had me bring it in to fix their mistake they offered my a 2018 Camaro turbo4 manual trans car so I thought what a great time to compare them.
camaro
I knew the curb weight was different and so the turbo4 should be close in performance. I did note right away the 6th gen Camaro feels smaller. The car is narrower in shoulder room and seat room and it felt like it right away.
The dash shape reminded me of a 70's style Toyota Celica while my friends thought it was retro looking.

The gauges are smaller and why did GM reverse them? Not really a big deal here but having had my 2013 now for over 5 years I got used to the other order. I am not a gauge watcher per se but learning good shift points with the turbo4 and such I would have to take a tick longer to find the information.

Power was okay. The turbo4 does sound a lot like a tractor engine and while my v6 is very sedated the noise from the turbo4 just felt like noise. Acceleration was okay in touring mode and better in sport mode. While I always felt like the v6 was being held back in the first 2 gears the turbo4 feels like the boost is really limited. Once in a high gear and punching the turbo4 feels like all the boost is online after some lag time. Not bad and since I have driven and raced turbocharged PT Cruisers before it felt like there was some part throttle boost. That could be bad for longevity but for driving fun it was okay.

The difference I really felt was in the torque band. Usually turbocharged engines get a nice torque boost but the turbo4 in the 2018 did not have that feel. I usually had to downshift 2 gears compared to my 2013 v6. My 2013 I usually drop from 6 to 5th gear to make a freeway pass but not always. With the 2018 I almost had to drop down a gear or two to do the same thing. Not a rewarding experience.

The HVAC controls were REALLY HARD to read. I learned them pretty quick but if I forgot where a button was I was hunting until I got lucky since the symbols are so small. The radio was flat in the sound and everyone I talked to using the Bluetooth kept asking what was wrong with the Bluetooth. Just not a good sound with my 2013 crappy stock radio system sounding much better.

So, at the end of the day the 6th gen is an okay car. While I have had problems with my 2013 I think for now it is the better base model car even with all of the known issues and troubles.
1971 RS/SS 350 4 speed Teal Green
captaincog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:27 AM   #14
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by suplex View Post
Hello Everyone,

I haven't been here in a while and this may have come up in other threads, but I wanted to ask a question about something. I am not condoning racing at all by asking this, it's just more of a performance question.

The 5th Generation V6 Camaros have an approximate curb weight of 3,728-lbs (after Google checking it) and they started with 312-hp (which is what I have in my 2011 1LT).

The 6th Generation 4-Cyl Camaros have an approximate curb weight of 3,339-lbs, and they have a Turbo which gives them 275-hp.

My question is this. The 6th Gen weighs about 400-lbs less (389 to be exact) than the 5th Gen, but also has 37 less hp (if you compare 6th Gen 4-Cyl vs. 5th Gen V6). Would 37 less HP be compensated for by moving a vehicle that's 389 pounds lighter, to a point where it may be able to get to a 1/4 mile finish line first?

To people that don't feel that a Camaro has to have a V8 and that's that, 275-hp does sound like enough to get the vehicle out of it's own way, but I am just wondering how a 6th Gen 4-Cyl would perform if I was used to a 5th Gen V6, considering the less HP...but also...the less weight.

I wouldn't even question that a 6th Gen V6 would out perform a 5th Gen V6 because the 6th Gen has 23 More HP (335 vs. 312)...AND...weighs less. I would just like to hear some performance comments about a 6th Gen 4-Cyl vs. a 5th Gen V6.

Thank you.
My GF has a 2018 Caddy ATS with the 2.0T engine.

It is a little heavier than the Camaro but is built on the same Alpha platform.

Its peppy and the 8 speed tranny shifts real nice in sport mode.

I think C&D tested one at 14.1@99mph in the 1/4.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote