Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 08-26-2018, 04:14 PM   #1
DragRacerX

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 HBM & 2012 2SS M6 IBM
Apple Play disconnects Bluetooth Connection???

I'm puzzled. When I connect my iPhone 7+ (running iOS 11.4.1) via the USB cable, Apple Play disconnects the Bluetooth Conection to my iPhone. While connected, the iPhone is being charged & all Apple Play options function correctly (including Contacts). The problem is, when using Navigation, I can't access my iPhone Contact addresses. Selecting Change Contact Source only shows Vehicle & in the upper right corner of the display it says No Phone. If I disconnect from the USB cable, the iPhone Blue Tooth connection is re-established & iPhone is available to be selected on the Change Contact Source screen & all my iPhone Contact addresses are imported & can be selected. But, of course, none of the Apple Play options function... SURELY this is not correct. Is it just me or is it that way for everyone else?
Vengeance Racing VRPD-2 Cam Kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Injector Dynamics ID850 Injectors, Forced Induction Interchiller,
Cold Air Inductions CAI, BBK 40210 LT Headers & Free Flow Cats, MBRP S7022409 T409-Stainless Steel
3" Dual Cat Back Exhaust System, Lingenfelter ZR1 Dual Disc Clutch Kit, ZL1 Brake Kit Rotors & Calipers
628 RWHP/596 RWTQ / A.C.E.5
DragRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:42 PM   #2
Crazed_1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I dont have an iPhone, but with Android Auto, the bluetooth is disconnected when connected via cable.
Crazed_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:01 PM   #3
DragRacerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed_1LE View Post
I dont have an iPhone, but with Android Auto, the bluetooth is disconnected when connected via cable.
Interesting... I wonder why?
Vengeance Racing VRPD-2 Cam Kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Injector Dynamics ID850 Injectors, Forced Induction Interchiller,
Cold Air Inductions CAI, BBK 40210 LT Headers & Free Flow Cats, MBRP S7022409 T409-Stainless Steel
3" Dual Cat Back Exhaust System, Lingenfelter ZR1 Dual Disc Clutch Kit, ZL1 Brake Kit Rotors & Calipers
Old 08-27-2018, 11:20 PM   #4
mbnwa

Drives: 18 NGM ZL1 1LE
It's normal for CarPlay to disconnect the phone from bluetooth when utilizing CarPlay, It does this in my Ford as well as my wife's Cadillac and the Camaro.
17' Camaro 2SS A8 Vert Upgrades: Pray MSD IM/95mm TB/E85/Tune / Roto-fab CAI / GM Dark Taillights / LED Turn's with VLED Resisters / LED Reverse Lights / JWM Side Markers / Factory UQT PDR (CTS-V) / BMR DSL, MM010 / TSP 1 7/8 / Front Camera / Eyebrow Harness / Elite Engineering E2-X / AEM Wideband with Aeroforce single pod / HD Radio / OnStar Delete / RPM Roll Bar
mbnwa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:28 PM   #5
Eos

Drives: Camaro Coupé 2.0T AT8 (EU version)
Hi DragRacerX!,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragRacerX View Post
When I connect my iPhone 7+ (running iOS 11.4.1) via the USB cable, Apple Play disconnects the Bluetooth Conection to my iPhone. While connected, the iPhone is being charged & all Apple Play options function correctly (including Contacts).
It's quite normal. My iPhone 8 (same iOS version as yours) does it, too: if you want to access to your personal contacts you can simply tap the PHONE green icon in CarPlay left side menu and you will find them there or you can press the VOICE button on your steering wheel and ask Siri to call XXX or YYY and it will pick the contact for you and start dialing a call.

Is that what you needed?

See you!!,
Eos
Eos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:39 PM   #6
DragRacerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eos View Post
Hi DragRacerX!,

It's quite normal. My iPhone 8 (same iOS version as yours) does it, too: if you want to access to your personal contacts you can simply tap the PHONE green icon in CarPlay left side menu and you will find them there or you can press the VOICE button on your steering wheel and ask Siri to call XXX or YYY and it will pick the contact for you and start dialing a call.

Is that what you needed?

See you!!,
Eos
Not exactly, I know how to use Contacts for Apple Play actions. You are missing my main point - using Contacts with Navigation can only be done via Bluetooth connection. So it can not be done if you are connected via USB.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:50 PM   #7
mbnwa

Drives: 18 NGM ZL1 1LE
I think they did not build in the function as they assume if your using CarPlay you would be using Apple Maps, it might be a bad assumption however most people don't care for the built in navi anyway.

*assumption made that you're trying to use your contact with the Camaro's built in navi system while using CarPlay.
17' Camaro 2SS A8 Vert Upgrades: Pray MSD IM/95mm TB/E85/Tune / Roto-fab CAI / GM Dark Taillights / LED Turn's with VLED Resisters / LED Reverse Lights / JWM Side Markers / Factory UQT PDR (CTS-V) / BMR DSL, MM010 / TSP 1 7/8 / Front Camera / Eyebrow Harness / Elite Engineering E2-X / AEM Wideband with Aeroforce single pod / HD Radio / OnStar Delete / RPM Roll Bar
mbnwa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:23 AM   #8
Rlhay2

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragRacerX View Post
Interesting... I wonder why?

No need for bluetooth when there is a cable connection that provides better data transfer!
Rlhay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:27 PM   #9
DragRacerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlhay2 View Post
No need for bluetooth when there is a cable connection that provides better data transfer!
Yes cable connection is faster - BUT, to use your Phone's Contacts in the Camaro Navigation app it MUST connect via Bluetooth
Old 08-29-2018, 07:29 PM   #10
DragRacerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbnwa View Post
I think they did not build in the function as they assume if your using CarPlay you would be using Apple Maps, it might be a bad assumption however most people don't care for the built in navi anyway.

*assumption made that you're trying to use your contact with the Camaro's built in navi system while using CarPlay.
Your assumption about me trying to use the Camaro Navigation app is true
Old 09-03-2018, 10:06 AM   #11
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed_1LE View Post
I don't believe this is correct. It's my experience that for both Apple Car Play and Android Auto, when the phone is connected via USB, phone calls are made (and received) using the Bluetooth connection.

On my Android phone, I tested this by turning off Bluetooth on the phone and then connected the USB cable. The Bluetooth turned on by itself and connected to the car. I made sure the "Turn on Bluetooth when using Android Auto" setting was turned off and no smart settings were on to auto-enable Bluetooth.

For my work iPhone, I don't connect it to my car often, but the few times that I have, it always used Bluetooth for calls while connected via USB and in Car Play mode.

In both cases, I'm able to see all contacts and make/receive calls, regardless of whether or not Android Auto or Car Play are active on the infotainment screen or the vehicle system screens are displaying.

I recommend the OP check their Bluetooth detailed settings for their car connection to make sure all call and messaging options are selected.

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:50 PM   #12
Crazed_1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
I don't believe this is correct. It's my experience that for both Apple Car Play and Android Auto, when the phone is connected via USB, phone calls are made (and received) using the Bluetooth connection.

On my Android phone, I tested this by turning off Bluetooth on the phone and then connected the USB cable. The Bluetooth turned on by itself and connected to the car. I made sure the "Turn on Bluetooth when using Android Auto" setting was turned off and no smart settings were on to auto-enable Bluetooth.

For my work iPhone, I don't connect it to my car often, but the few times that I have, it always used Bluetooth for calls while connected via USB and in Car Play mode.

In both cases, I'm able to see all contacts and make/receive calls, regardless of whether or not Android Auto or Car Play are active on the infotainment screen or the vehicle system screens are displaying.

I recommend the OP check their Bluetooth detailed settings for their car connection to make sure all call and messaging options are selected.

Yea it's still "connected" via bluetooth when using Android Auto as you can get phone calls and such.. but if you go back to the normal media player when connected via android auto, you cant stream bluetooth music.
Crazed_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote