Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
Nasty1970

Drives: 2011 Red 2SS RS Convertible
So I drove a SRT8 Challenger...and loved it

This past weekend me and several friends went tubing down the Guadalupe. Had to make a run to the store and my camaro was blocked in. So my friend with the Challenger SRT8 threw me his keys.

Let me say, I'm a die hard chevy guy, but if I had to change religions it would be Mopar all the way. And Ill be honest, I liked the Challenger in EVERY way better than the camaro. The only thing I had that he didn't was the drop top.

His car was faster(he has some mods, intake, exhaust, and tune), the seats were more comfortable, it had a better, more functional dash(navigation), gauges, and controls. the car was noticeably heavier, but handled about the same. It had a much broader torque curve(my camaro is a stock M6). Larger, more functional rear seat.

I know its blasphemy, but I liked the challenger better. Just a well done car. I love my car, but its like going to a restaurant and ordering the chicken and someone orders a steak, and you think to yourself "I should have gotten the steak".....
Nasty1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
daygo1966

Drives: 2011 SS/RS NicKey Stage II #36
I speak for all of the forum members....you're forgiven! LOL
daygo1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6

Cool.....buttttttt I don't know if I'd post this on a Camaro forum lol.

Go trade in your Camaro for one.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
kr juice 1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs
Don't get me wrong before i drove the camaro i drove the Challenger srt8. Couldn't justify that crappy plastic hollow dash, as well as the jump in price to get it. I feel the camaro's overall finish is better. I just cannot stand that dash inside of the Challenger feels extremely cheap. Just my opinion, no one kill me over it now. Originally I said na i'll get the challenger there are far less of them out there then drove it. Don't get me wrong i liked it just not the overall finish of the product.
kr juice 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
BIG L/2SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Well you can always make your car faster to catch up to him. But hey everyones different I drove a challenger, found it to be a downgrade from my camaro . To me it's the same as the charger srt8 just has a way nicer body.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
chevyk1

Drives: CGM Camaro 1Lt
Hmm I really wanted to get behind the wheel of a Challenger to test drive and this post gives me the itch even more. To the op I see you have a vert since you like the Challenger better is there any way to trade while the value on your car is still high?
chevyk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #7
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
Interesting perspective, one I can definitely see you having. I am in the fortunate position of having a fiancé that owns an srt8. Although I think it's a fine car, I never liked it better than my SS. Perhaps since you buddy has a tune accounts for it feeling faster. I always felt that my SS was faster and quicker than the lady's srt8 with cold air and exhaust. Despite that, the seats and the nav do kick ass
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
Devryn17
Suffers Fools Poorly

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, CGM w/ Silver Stripes.
I have a friend that has had a fully loaded 09 SRT8 Challenger since they started making them with sticks. He's a FAR better driver than I am, and I still beat him in a drag race by a fender. I will agree that the interior is LEAGUES ahead of ours, but I DO NOT agree that the seats are more comfortable, but I'm a fairly large guy. The boot and back seat are considerably more useful, but I didn't buy a sports car for "usefulness."
I would not give up my Camaro for a Challenger ever.

Momma didn't bronze my shoes, but when I turned 16 I inherited a lead foot.
Devryn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:01 PM   #9
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr juice 1 View Post
Don't get me wrong before i drove the camaro i drove the Challenger srt8. Couldn't justify that crappy plastic hollow dash, as well as the jump in price to get it. I feel the camaro's overall finish is better. I just cannot stand that dash inside of the Challenger feels extremely cheap. Just my opinion, no one kill me over it now. Originally I said na i'll get the challenger there are far less of them out there then drove it. Don't get me wrong i liked it just not the overall finish of the product.
Since Fiat took over Chrysler, well, mostly took it over, they have made some major improvements to the interiors, especially the dash materials. Too bad Chevy doesn't do the same.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:36 PM   #10
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr juice 1 View Post
Plastic, hollow Dash, really? nothing against the Camaro but it fits that description FAR better than the CHallenger or Mustang. ALL years of Challenger have had soft touch materials on the dash and touch points and easy to use and abundant features features and excellent ergonomics. Nothin wrong with the Camaros interior and I like it just fine, but they get that lower price with cheaper materials and less features, particularly in the interior.....
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #11
Tallboy
Say "when"...

Drives: 11 2LT
The Challenger's rental-car interior [yes, the 11s are nicer] is what kept me from buying it. I drove a nice one last year before I ordered my Camaro, had it had a nicer interior, I would have bought the Challenger. I love everything else bout that car, but even Chrysler knew the interior sucked.
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #12
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
apples to oranges, as he's got much more money in his.

I drove all 3 before buying the SS, and I actually preferred the Challenger, but the wife wanted the SS, so we got the SS.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #13
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
The Challenger's rental-car interior [yes, the 11s are nicer] is what kept me from buying it. I drove a nice one last year before I ordered my Camaro, had it had a nicer interior, I would have bought the Challenger. I love everything else bout that car, but even Chrysler knew the interior sucked.
it's basically the same interior but with a different steering wheel (which i'll admit is a worthy improvement itself) and guage faces. The Challenger is the 1 dodge that has actually never had a very low quality interior.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:00 PM   #14
Nasty1970

Drives: 2011 Red 2SS RS Convertible
I will be soon making mods to the Camaro to be faster than him, but I'm at a slight disadvantage having the convertible.
Nasty1970 is offline   Reply With Quote