Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-13-2008, 06:04 PM   #29
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
i dont change my own oil.... do any oil change places carry it?
not really sure . I change my own in my 3rd gen, but i have to take my envoy to have it done . I cant get to the filter, but i only put mobile 1 in the Voy

you could probably take the oil to a change place and have them just charge labor. If they are nice
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:25 PM   #30
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptianSam View Post
you clearly know nothing about dodges... if you do infact av an srt8... and its new... like you say... dodge will change the oil for you every 5000 km... for free with full syn recommended... i have a charger and a viper and soon a challenger srt8

I prefer to do it myself

It was recommended by the vets at the chargerforum and I don't have a problem with following them, and I grew up around dodges, its noting you can't tell me about a HEMI, Magnum, etc, test my knowlege if you dare

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon

Last edited by GTAHVIT; 09-15-2008 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Play Nice.
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:38 PM   #31
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post

I prefer to do it myself

It was recommended by the vets at the chargerforum and I don't have a problem with following them, and I grew up around dodges, its noting you can't tell me about a HEMI, Magnum, etc, test my knowlege if you dare
Where did John Hemi Carson grow up?!?
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:44 PM   #32
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin

Not testing, but can you remind me why the new HEMI isn't a HEMI? That's what I remember some rags' reporting back when it was reintroduced...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:34 PM   #33
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Have a look at this site:

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

There's a lot of good information and this chap emphasizes NOT using synthetic during break-in. Whether-or-not you agree with everything, I think it has a lot to think about.
Thanks brah!

also,
will many of you guys be performing your own oil changes on your new camaros ???
I'm debating whether or not to stick with the dealer on this one...

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:02 PM   #34
racedad70

Drives: 96Silverado,07Malibu,04MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post
I have used AMSOIL for years it is a great product not as well known as ,Mobil ,Q etc.. because they don't advertise as much which I think they should ,but way better in every test I have seen. It is pricey but you get what you pay for .
REMEMBER AMSOIL WAS THE FIRST TO SELL SYNTHETIC OILS IN NORTH AMERICA SO THEY KNOW HOW TO MAKE IT THATS FOR SHURE I personally wouldn't use ANY other brand...
+1 I use it in my cars, truck and atv's. IMO it is a first rate synthetic. It actually has reduced engine temps in my race quad.
racedad70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:58 PM   #35
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
damnit... here we go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHVY4LF View Post
Had no idea it used that much but it will be worth it
I heard lower then 91 puts a knock in corvettes
most any computer controlled car can run any grade of fuel and be fine, if it does knock, the computer will retard the timing to prevent knock. doesnt matter what vehicle it is in. however, you should run the manufacturers recommended grade or higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptianSam View Post
you clearly know nothing about dodges... if you do infact av an srt8... and its new... like you say... dodge will change the oil for you every 5000 km... for free with full syn recommended... i have a charger and a viper and soon a challenger srt8
ok....3000 miles ~5000km. whats your point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaZ View Post
Dang, thats a lot. IDK where the vette LS3 and Camaro LS3 differences page is but will they have the same oil pan for all that oil? If you think about it the Camaro could hold more oil since the engine will be higher off the ground, hence bigger oil pan.
they hold roughly the same, its not about how deep the oil pan needs to be, look at the LS1 camaro's vs the vette's oil pans. the vette oil pan is a lot wider than that of the camaro. this helps not only to scavenge during normal operation but during high load turns as well. however, the K-member will be the deciding factor on the shape of the oil pan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
what would you suggest using? i havent really found one that stands out above the rest? ive heard good things about Royal Purple and Q horsepower, but i havent had a chance to use them... any suggestions?
Royal Purple.

http://jcpm-inc.com/images/oiltest.pdf

Amsoil is a good oil, so is RP, mobil 1 has lost its edge, Q hp can lick asphalt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
Well, i dont know if this will help but.A friend of mine Has a chopper and likes to cruise long distance on the Weekends.His wife rides on the back and Her legs are close to the motor and she complains of the heat.She says its almost to the burning point.After he changed to Amsoil in his chopper,the motor temp has gone down considerably,and its more of a pleasure to ride now for her.

They have also ran amsoil in big rig trucks for 80,000 miles while only changing the filter.The motor had no sludge in it,There was no viscosity breakdown,and oil analysis shows that there is less wear metals in the oil (after 80,000 miles).

To me its worth the money
couple things to keep in mind. you are comparing 3 types of oils here.

motorcycle oil
diesel oil
auto oil.

diesel oil contains a higher amount of detergents than regular auto oil, (which is also why some people like to use diesel oil as a flushing agent when cleaning their motors), motorcycle oil is not a good choice for auto's, however motorcycles (mainly only 4 strokes) will run well off of auto oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post
I have used AMSOIL for years it is a great product not as well known as ,Mobil ,Q etc.. because they don't advertise as much which I think they should ,but way better in every test I have seen. It is pricey but you get what you pay for .
REMEMBER AMSOIL WAS THE FIRST TO SELL SYNTHETIC OILS IN NORTH AMERICA SO THEY KNOW HOW TO MAKE IT THATS FOR SHURE I personally wouldn't use ANY other brand...
the reason they dont advertise as much is because the majority of thier oils are not API certified.

that and

REMEMBER FORD WAS THE FIRST TO MASS PRODUCE AUTOMOBILES IN NORTH AMERICA SO THEY MUST KNOW HOW TO DO IT RIGHT.... LOOK AT THE MUSTANG.... FOR SURE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
i dont change my own oil.... do any oil change places carry it?

why dont you change your own oil?

and this part goes to EVERYONE. be careful when taking your car to an in-and-out oil change shop as there have been numerous cases where people will bring in their own oil/filter to get it changed and the shop will keep the higher grade oil and just put in regular dino oil and a fram filter.

Jiffy Lube had a string of lawsuits from their shops that were asked to do specific maintenance on automobiles while being secretly videotaped and wouldnt perform the maintenance, but still charged for it.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:58 PM   #36
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
i was talking about their entire line of oil
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:11 PM   #37
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
i was talking about their entire line of oil
just makin sure people dont get the wrong idea. personally, i like Amsoil, its a great product.

that being said, ive had much better results from RP than anything else. 180,000 on the motor, i run the best.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:37 PM   #38
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:

Not testing, but can you remind me why the new HEMI isn't a HEMI? That's what I remember some rags' reporting back when it was reintroduced...
LOL, your right its not really a hemispherical combustion chamber, its flatter really, seriously it will be more of a laughing stock because of the MPG it would have

Why they are not truly hemispherical heads

I was under the assumption that they did try using true hemispherical heads but could not met todays emissions standards I think... So they had to improvise.. flatter heads and MDS, really the problem with MPG back in the day because the were HEMI's

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:47 PM   #39
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalometalik View Post
Thanks brah!

also,
will many of you guys be performing your own oil changes on your new camaros ???
I'm debating whether or not to stick with the dealer on this one...
I love doing my own services because I get a chance to poke around under the car and see what I break next - that's how I justify new parts to the wifey To put it in a little perspective: VW recommends synthetic oil on her '05 2.5. If I change it myself, I spend about $30 on oil and another $12 or-so on a filter. An oil change at a dealer is about $70 with their synthetic. It's nice for me because I have a house and have the room. I believe the V8s are going to take ~ eight quarts, and at like $6 a quart, you can do the math on that. It's going to get scary close to a $100 oil change at a dealer I think - I hope not though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
LOL, your right its not really a hemispherical combustion chamber, its flatter really, seriously it will be more of a laughing stock because of the MPG it would have

Why they are not truly hemispherical heads

I was under the assumption that they did try using true hemispherical heads but could not met todays emissions standards I think... So they had to improvise.. flatter heads and MDS, really the problem with MPG back in the day because the were HEMI's
Hmm... I never noticed how flat they were compared to the older HEMIs. That makes sense though because traditional HEMIs were know to flow like the Mississippi River and with squished combustion chambers that flow would be sacrificed. I know CNC'd HEMI heads (the last I looked) in the current generation don't flow quite as well as LS7 heads but I don't think the ports are quite as big. Thanks for the info' I digress...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:43 PM   #40
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
That's why they are called semi-hemis. True hemispherical combustion chambers are murder on emissions, especially NOx.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:31 PM   #41
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
Quote:
I love doing my own services because I get a chance to poke around under the car and see what I break next - that's how I justify new parts to the wifey To put it in a little perspective: VW recommends synthetic oil on her '05 2.5. If I change it myself, I spend about $30 on oil and another $12 or-so on a filter. An oil change at a dealer is about $70 with their synthetic. It's nice for me because I have a house and have the room. I believe the V8s are going to take ~ eight quarts, and at like $6 a quart, you can do the math on that. It's going to get scary close to a $100 oil change at a dealer I think - I hope not though...
thanks for your answer!
now i have to decide whether i'll go with their maintenance free package (given that they offer one) or do this myself!
i've never had a Brand New car before, but im no stranger to oil changes. Plus it sounds a lot more fun gettin nice and oily!

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote