Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-22-2020, 05:30 PM   #1
Hazrial

Drives: Toyota Corolla S
Question Purchasing from out of state?

So I have been looking for a Camaro for years and think im finally ready to pull the trigger, though it seems there are none with the color, options, miles im looking for near me or in my state for that matter.

That being said it looks like Miami FL. has amazing deals and options when it comes to used cars and Camaro's in general. So i guess what im asking is, Has anyone bought from out of state and do you have any tips or insight into buying a car from a Ocean front state. im worried about rust and salt being an issue.

Thanks in advance.
Hazrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:14 PM   #2
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Can’t speak for the ocean part of things but I bought mine from an out of state dealer. I just went to my credit union and got a pre approval letter and then drove to the used car dealer that had it and made the deal. Then i drove the Camaro home while my wife followed me in her Jeep. I went to salt lake city for mine which is about an 8 hour drive. I don’t care to play dealer financing games, that’s why I went with my own trusted bank financing.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:17 PM   #3
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
You aren't really going to find many rust issues in Florida cars, even when close to the ocean. I am not oceanfront, but I am around 15 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and have never had any rust issues down here. What you do want to look out for though is flood cars, but you are likely not buying from an auction. But overall, Florida is known as one of the states people love buying cars from. Pretty much any of the south east US states that do not get snow/ice in winter.

Another good thing about Florida cars is that they are likely to have working ice cold AC. Sales tax is usually pretty cheap here also with counties setting their own individual rates.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:05 PM   #4
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
InFiD3ViL---You must not be familiar with the Cocoa Beach-Satellite Beach--Indian Harbor Beach area of coastal Florida. That area is extremely prone to rusting; so much so that we used to say it would "rust" plastic. The culprit is the shallow waters of the Indian River in that region and the aquatic plants that grow, get up rooted and decay in the water of the river; they decay anaerobically, producing hydrogen sulfide gas--which, as it percolates up out of the water, becomes sulfuric acid; it then combines with atmospheric moisture which condenses on surfaces at night as dew. I've seen brand new cars rust through in less than a year in those communities. Melbourne--across the river and inland, doesn't have those same conditions and doesn't have the "rust" problems. (PS--The above explanation was given to me by a marine biologist/chemist who taught in the local college.)

Last edited by RJT Impala; 01-22-2020 at 07:09 PM. Reason: spelling
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:20 PM   #5
InFiD3ViL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT Impala View Post
InFiD3ViL---You must not be familiar with the Cocoa Beach-Satellite Beach--Indian Harbor Beach area of coastal Florida. That area is extremely prone to rusting; so much so that we used to say it would "rust" plastic. The culprit is the shallow waters of the Indian River in that region and the aquatic plants that grow, get up rooted and decay in the water of the river; they decay anaerobically, producing hydrogen sulfide gas--which, as it percolates up out of the water, becomes sulfuric acid; it then combines with atmospheric moisture which condenses on surfaces at night as dew. I've seen brand new cars rust through in less than a year in those communities. Melbourne--across the river and inland, doesn't have those same conditions and doesn't have the "rust" problems. (PS--The above explanation was given to me by a marine biologist/chemist who taught in the local college.)
Really? No, I am not familiar with that condition, but I am familiar with the area. That is crazy it affecting just a small (relatively) regional area. That is almost directly across the state from me. I am about 50 miles north of Tampa.

Man, it must suck to have to deal with that. Makes you wonder how long it took for them to figure out the source.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
Old 01-22-2020, 09:43 PM   #6
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
H2S is nasty stuff. I deal with it daily as I work in oil and gas. It’ll kill you very quickly in pretty low concentrations. As mentioned above it’s also quite corrosive.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:01 PM   #7
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I've been on camaro5 for almost 12 years now and owned my early '10 SS since new. My
car has seen New England Winters and 2+ years here in Florida. My car has absolutely
no rust and I've yet to hear about any unibody rust on a 5th Gen Camaro. It's not the
50's. These cars don't rust like the old days.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:07 AM   #8
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
I've been on camaro5 for almost 12 years now and owned my early '10 SS since new. My
car has seen New England Winters and 2+ years here in Florida. My car has absolutely
no rust and I've yet to hear about any unibody rust on a 5th Gen Camaro. It's not the
Good point. I should have noted that my experience is 30+ years old--back to the mid-80s. Cars are now built using different processes to treat the metal and prevent/slow the rusting. I haven't lived in that region of Florida since mid-90s.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:46 AM   #9
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
Tell that to my dads 2006 Silverado which has had every crossmember replaced all fuel, trans, p/s, brake lines replaced. bumper rotted through pickup box rotted through. This is in CT magnesium chloride eats metal and there is not a lot you can do about it unless you do aftermarket coatings. Brand new I think have more protections, but not until very recently
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:59 AM   #10
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460947
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:52 AM   #11
InFiD3ViL

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew peacock View Post
Wow, I never saw that thread. Good find. I wonder what he did to repair it.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:56 AM   #12
ZEN357

Drives: 1991 Z/28 Convertible
Definitely thoroughly inspect the car for rest, like on your hands and knees! also remember that the state taxes may differ from yours so you can either get the difference refunded if your state is less or pay on top of Florida's if your state's is higher! I've seen a couple of good deals on H-Greg which is a Florida dealer, is that where you were looking? try considering garagerecon.com too, i'm a strong advocate cause that's how i found my own car
ZEN357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:27 AM   #13
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Bought mine in New York off Ebay. It didn’t sell so I offered the Chevy dealer my own price. He accepted since it was a PITA to relist. He overnighted paperwork. I signed and sent back. Cpl days later I owned the car.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:43 PM   #14
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
whats the exact location of the car? reach out to local members and see if they will look at it for you. I travel to Ft Lauderdale a few times a week, if its close I can look at it. If not I'm sure there are members in Miami. I have lived in Florida for over 40 years and never had a rust issue on a single car.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote