Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-15-2016, 03:44 PM   #1
bkswede

Drives: 2010 C63 AMG
CNET Impressions

CNET just published an article with their first impressions of the ZL1 - they appear to have had some seat time with both the manual and auto cars at Willow Springs. Generally, pretty positive, including his view of the A10; although he did say the A10, when left in auto mode on the track, was sometimes hunting for gears. He also notes that when shifting the A10 in manual mode with paddles, the experience was positive although not as quick as the PDK. Will be fun to read the various reviews as they start to come in over the next few weeks.... Review can be found here, along with a video of a lap around Willow Springs in the 6 speed manual car.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/auto/2...o-zl1/preview/
bkswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:48 PM   #2
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
Is faaaaaaassssssst.
Attached Images

MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:16 PM   #3
NB2017ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 10 Speed Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkswede View Post
CNET just published an article with their first impressions of the ZL1 - they appear to have had some seat time with both the manual and auto cars at Willow Springs. Generally, pretty positive, including his view of the A10; although he did say the A10, when left in auto mode on the track, was sometimes hunting for gears. He also notes that when shifting the A10 in manual mode with paddles, the experience was positive although not as quick as the PDK. Will be fun to read the various reviews as they start to come in over the next few weeks.... Review can be found here, along with a video of a lap around Willow Springs in the 6 speed manual car.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/auto/2...o-zl1/preview/
I find it interesting that they say that it's not as fast as PDK when Al O said it was faster....

I've been in a Porsche with PDK and listening to the shifts on the Ring video it's seems like it does shift faster with the A10....

Was the test car a "special" car? Does this have to do with driver ? Climate ? Track conditions ?

Who knows. All I know is it's plenty fast for what I'll be doing with it ...
Old 12-15-2016, 06:02 PM   #4
snackbar64

Drives: SW 2017 ZL1, M6, Carbon, Nav, MR,
He said the A10 wasn't as crisp as the PDK, whatever that means in comparison. He didn't say it wasn't faster.
snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:19 PM   #5
NB2017ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 10 Speed Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by snackbar64 View Post
He said the A10 wasn't as crisp as the PDK, whatever that means in comparison. He didn't say it wasn't faster.
Oh ok. Al O at 4:10 of this vid says is faster ... Al doesn't speak about how crisp the actual shifts are

Thanks for clarifying

https://youtu.be/3bzNPPzQfE4
Old 12-15-2016, 08:02 PM   #6
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
Maybe it's shifting quick but there's a lot of torque management so each gear is not hitting as hard?
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:36 PM   #7
bkswede

Drives: 2010 C63 AMG
Here's the quote, and the context is he's describing the performance of the A10 on the track....

"Here, I was less convinced that the 10-speed auto was preferable to the six-speed manual. It was faster, no doubt about that, and the extra flexibility in ratios meant I was never left debating between an early upshift or a midcorner visit to the rev-limiter. However, when left to its own devices it often was hunting for gears in the longer, part-throttle turns, hopping up and down like an indecisive border collie. This unsettled the car a little bit, which isn't ideal. You can of course override the system with the plastic paddles behind the wheel, and while the engagement isn't quite as crisp as a proper, dual-clutch system ala Porsche's PDK, it's properly quick and generally won't leave you wanting."

He describes the "engagement" not being as crisp as a proper DCT... I'm guessing he is talking about the period of time between a pull on the paddle and the transmission shifting. If he was talking about the speed of the shift more generally, I would have expected that he would have had the same concern when the transmission was shifting itself and he didn't mention anything about slow shifts while in auto mode. Will be interesting to hear what others say during their reviews... The videos of the ZL1s from this spring at the media event make it look like it is a nearly instantaneous response when the paddle was pulled. Others on the forum were lucky enough to ride along during that event and have said the same thing - an almost imperceptible delay.... I also found the comment about the A10 hunting for gears interesting when there didn't appear to be any such behavior in the Nurburgring video.
bkswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:46 PM   #8
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
Maybe he thinks real men use three pedals? I dunno. Just a thought.

hehehe