Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Ask the Camaro Team

Old 03-13-2018, 08:39 PM   #1
CruzySS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
Throttle cable

What was the purpose of going away from cable throttling? A cable throttle system seems more reliable and less chance to have electrical issues. No potential of lag from inputting throttle through the computer. Will we see this system again?
CruzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:11 PM   #2
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzySS View Post
What was the purpose of going away from cable throttling? A cable throttle system seems more reliable and less chance to have electrical issues. No potential of lag from inputting throttle through the computer. Will we see this system again?
The only advantage I see is that it allows them to tailor the throttle behavior in different modes. I heavily doubt they will ever return to a good ole' fashioned cable.
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:31 AM   #3
Gen6 softtop

Drives: Hyper blue 1ss convertible 6 sp
Quote:
they've been gone it going away for a decade or so, doubt their coming back
Gen6 softtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:30 AM   #4
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Hmmm . . .

Traction control and stability control

Emission control

No-lift shifting

Launch control

Automatic rev-matching on downshifts

Automatic cruise control

AT shifting gets the same commanded throttle information that the engine's fueling and ignition does

Wires are less demanding of space as far as fitting their physical routing in with everything else is concerned

Wires can go through the firewall through a sealed connector, cables need a real hole

As mentioned, different throttle mappings for different drive modes.

It's extremely doubtful we'll ever see any more OE cable controlled throttles on anything, let alone on regular-production cars with a VIN that are intended for street use.

Norm
Old 03-14-2018, 08:49 AM   #5
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
I do miss cable controlled throttles. I wish they could just get rid of the delay. In my 04 Mustang, I could cut killer lights. Never came close to getting the same kind of R/T in my 07 with the drive by wire
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:02 PM   #6
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Hmmm . . .

Traction control and stability control

Emission control

No-lift shifting

Launch control

Automatic rev-matching on downshifts

Automatic cruise control

AT shifting gets the same commanded throttle information that the engine's fueling and ignition does

Wires are less demanding of space as far as fitting their physical routing in with everything else is concerned

Wires can go through the firewall through a sealed connector, cables need a real hole

As mentioned, different throttle mappings for different drive modes.

It's extremely doubtful we'll ever see any more OE cable controlled throttles on anything, let alone on regular-production cars with a VIN that are intended for street use.

Norm
Good list. I’d only add that it can enable a fuel economy benefit also with the ability to motor (0 fueling) with the throttle blade open and potentially stay at 0 fueling longer.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:35 AM   #7
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Is there a new car today that still comes with a throttle cable?
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:31 AM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Generally speaking, electronic systems are more reliable than their mechanical equivalents (fewer moving parts). Difference is, if things happen to go wrong its usually easier to repair a mechanical system.

For example, how often have you had to adjust your electronic fuel injection vs jamming a screwdriver into your carb to get it to open?

99.99% of people would rather have fewer hassles than the option to fix things themselves. Because if something rarely fails, you rarely have to fix it. Hence, more electronics in cars.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:44 PM   #9
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
One of the main reasons manufactures got away from throttle cables is noise transmission.

The throttle cable brought engine noises, both good and bad right into the cabin, right to the driver. The rest of the advantages were just a benefit as technology progressed.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:46 PM   #10
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
One of the main reasons manufactures got away from throttle cables is noise transmission.

The throttle cable brought engine noises, both good and bad right into the cabin, right to the driver. The rest of the advantages were just a benefit as technology progressed.
If that was a test question I would have marked it “FALSE” lol. Who knew?!
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:58 AM   #11
MGD

Drives: 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post

If that is the case, then why would they remove the throttle cable to get rid of the noise and use a sound tube to bring it right back?
Old 04-05-2018, 09:38 AM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD View Post
If that is the case, then why would they remove the throttle cable to get rid of the noise and use a sound tube to bring it right back?
Not that I buy the claim that they eliminated mechanical throttle cables because of noise but IF its true its because not all sounds are equally desirable.

Sound tubes are there specifically to pipe in induction sounds from the intake. Lots of people like induction noises. Personally, I've never cared. But I know its a thing that others like. The throttle cable, presumably, either transmits general engine vibration or the 'random' mechanical noise that an operating engine makes. And those sounds probably aren't as pleasant to most people as induction sounds.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 11:24 AM   #13
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD View Post
Because engine growl is a good noise people like, and the ticking of injectors and valves are sounds no one likes.
Boost Creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:14 PM   #14
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I do miss cable controlled throttles. I wish they could just get rid of the delay. In my 04 Mustang, I could cut killer lights. Never came close to getting the same kind of R/T in my 07 with the drive by wire
Get a tune