Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #29
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
What color of 2X did you use?
Gloss Black; that was for the two sections with the CHEVEROLET lettering. The center section and two side sections were painted with Rust-Oleum Universal Metallic Titanium Silver
Old 10-11-2018, 10:17 PM   #30
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
Gloss Black; that was for the two sections with the CHEVEROLET lettering. The center section and two side sections were painted with Rust-Oleum Universal Metallic Titanium Silver
Thank you for that info
camguynj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:52 AM   #31
camguynj

Quote:
Getting around to doing this. Just gonna do the side covers with Rust-Oleum Universal Metallic Titanium Silver with Chevy letters in red. Any problem or tips in keeping clean the Rust-Oleum Universal Metallic Titanium Silver ?
Old 02-08-2019, 12:06 PM   #32
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Quote:
Getting around to doing this. Just gonna do the side covers with Rust-Oleum Universal Metallic Titanium Silver with Chevy letters in red. Any problem or tips in keeping clean the Rust-Oleum Universal Metallic Titanium Silver ?
I clear coated using Rust-Oleum gloss clear coat; put three coats on. To clean, I just wipe down with a microfiber towel lightly sprayed with the same detailer I use on the car.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:48 PM   #33
camguynj

Quote:
I clear coated using Rust-Oleum gloss clear coat; put three coats on. To clean, I just wipe down with a microfiber towel lightly sprayed with the same detailer I use on the car.
Thanks for that info. I was thinking about clear coat as well. Coincidentally I have some Rust-Oleum Metallic Titanium Silver leftover from another project. It appears to be little darker than the eom silver finish. Do you think I could get the same gloss results on the eom Silver finish that you achieved without using the Rust-oleum Silver ?
Old 02-08-2019, 04:30 PM   #34
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Quote:
Thanks for that info. I was thinking about clear coat as well. Coincidentally I have some Rust-Oleum Metallic Titanium Silver leftover from another project. It appears to be little darker than the eom silver finish. Do you think I could get the same gloss results on the eom Silver finish that you achieved without using the Rust-oleum Silver ?
If you use the gloss clear coat, I would think you would get the same results. Personally, if my car was silver, I would go with the silver on the cover to match .. I think it would look better then the R-O Metallic Titanium Silver.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:58 PM   #35
camguynj

Quote:
If you use the gloss clear coat, I would think you would get the same results. Personally, if my car was silver, I would go with the silver on the cover to match .. I think it would look better then the R-O Metallic Titanium Silver.
Thanks for all your feedback. Much appreciated!!! I'll post a pic when I'm done. Probably won't be for few months, need a couple of sunny 60 degree+ no wind days here in Jersey as I gotta do it outside.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:07 PM   #36
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Quote:
Thanks for all your feedback. Much appreciated!!! I'll post a pic when I'm done. Probably won't be for few months, need a couple of sunny 60 degree+ no wind days here in Jersey as I gotta do it outside.
I know how that goes, we have pretty good weather here overall, but it's hard to find a day with no wind. Looking forward to seeing some pics when your finished, no doubt it will look great
Old 03-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #37
camguynj

Quote:
I know how that goes, we have pretty good weather here overall, but it's hard to find a day with no wind. Looking forward to seeing some pics when your finished, no doubt it will look great
Getting closer to getting started. Gonna stay with stock silver cover. This is what I'm planning to do: clean with Simple Green, 3 gloss clear coats, then polish and wax. Sound right to you ?
Old 03-20-2019, 11:05 AM   #38
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Quote:
Getting closer to getting started. Gonna stay with stock silver cover. This is what I'm planning to do: clean with Simple Green, 3 gloss clear coats, then polish and wax. Sound right to you ?
Sounds good. Make sure you rinse the simple green off really well with hot water and make sure it is completely dry before trying to apply the clear coat. You don't want any soap or cleaner residue left, it could cause problems with the paint adhering properly. After I clean and dry any part, I normally let it sit over night before painting, especially the part has any little crevices.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:19 AM   #39
camguynj

Quote:
Sounds good. Make sure you rinse the simple green off really well with hot water and make sure it is completely dry before trying to apply the clear coat. You don't want any soap or cleaner residue left, it could cause problems with the paint adhering properly. After I clean and dry any part, I normally let it sit over night before painting, especially the part has any little crevices.
Good advise. Thanks for the feedback