Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-12-2018, 04:42 PM   #1
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Wheel Balancing issues ruled out

Had my 2010 2LT Camaro serviced at the dealership over the past few months for wheel balancing issues. The steering wheel would vibrate at about 49-60 mph. Once over 60mph it would smooth out. The dealer balanced the wheels on the RoadForce to specs each time. However, it seems the balancing issues stop for a bit then return not too long after.

As of today, they serviced my car for the same issues for the 3rd time as a courtesy and now ruled out the wheels. They claimed it was due to extensive modifications on the car

The only things that were modified on the car prior to purchasing it was the ZL1 appearance package which includes the body, wheels, tires and ZL1 springs by the previous owner. The only thing I added to the car was the OEM Strut Tower Bar with the TPIS adapter kit w/bolts.

What could cause the vibration issues other than the usual wheels, tires, wheel bearing hubs and tie rod extensions?

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:47 PM   #2
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Have you had it aligned? If the toe is off on one or if the toe is off in opposite directions on the two front (both in or both out) it can cause vibrations/shimmying .
Old 04-12-2018, 04:55 PM   #3
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
Have you had it aligned? If the toe is off on one or if the toe is off in opposite directions on the two front (both in or both out) it can cause vibrations/shimmying .
Yes it has had an alignment done at least 2-3 times since I've owned it for about a year.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:57 PM   #4
2010reddevil

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Victory Red 6M
Maybe bad tires? It is a very weird issue indeed..... Not sure what to tell you on that. Also could be the weights moving around or coming off? Good luck!

2010 2SS 6M Victory Red/Black (old ride)
CAI intake, Speed Engineering 1 7/8" LT's, X4 base tune, Flowmaster Outlaw axle-back.

12.6 @ 115 SAR as of 9/19/15
Gone but never forgotten.
2010reddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:58 PM   #5
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010reddevil View Post
Maybe bad tires? It is a very weird issue indeed..... Not sure what to tell you on that. Also could be the weights moving around or coming off? Good luck!
Tires are new Conti's Extreme Contact. Been on the car I would say for at least 6 months by now.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:05 PM   #6
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
My other thought was possibly a slightly warped wheel.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:05 PM   #7
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Driveshaft
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:10 PM   #8
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Driveshaft
I was thinking the same. I did mention the driveshaft to them, however the dealer was more focused on the suspension and wheels. If it is the driveshaft, what would be the fix? UJoints or simply a new driveshaft w/ new ujoints?

Old 04-12-2018, 05:11 PM   #9
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
My other thought was possibly a slightly warped wheel.
That was ruled out by them. Wouldn't the RoadForce detect that?

Old 04-12-2018, 05:26 PM   #10
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Ask them to swap another set of wheels on it then test drive it. My dealer did this for me years ago when I had a similar issue.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:48 PM   #11
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow1616 View Post
Ask them to swap another set of wheels on it then test drive it. My dealer did this for me years ago when I had a similar issue.
That is a good idea - however, it seems the dealer doesn't want to touch my car now since they have not made any money on this. They have been generous and gave me a rental car for the past two days in which I did not have to pay. I would have to ask them in advance if they could troubleshoot and swap wheels to determine.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:34 PM   #12
orange devil
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 SS 2019 mustang GT
If it's an alignment issue it will usually Shake in the steering wheel if its the front and will Shake in the driver's seat if it's the rear having issues with alignment. Maybe rotate your tires and see if it occurs the same. That way you can eliminate your alignment being the problem maybe pinpoint which Wheel is giving you the issues.

How many miles do you have on the car? Possibly be your front wheel bearings going out.
orange devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:58 PM   #13
SummitWhite11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis66 View Post
If it's an alignment issue it will usually Shake in the steering wheel if its the front and will Shake in the driver's seat if it's the rear having issues with alignment. Maybe rotate your tires and see if it occurs the same. That way you can eliminate your alignment being the problem maybe pinpoint which Wheel is giving you the issues.

How many miles do you have on the car? Possibly be your front wheel bearings going out.

I was always taught that if the steering wheel shakes, its the front end. If the car/body or seat shakes its from the rear. If the gas pedal vibrates/shakes, then its the driveshaft. Tires are staggered. Cannot rotate. I have now 83k miles on the car.

Currently waiting on new Bilstein B6 struts that have been on back order. I also have DSE 1.5 lowering springs along with the rear Z28 LCA’s etc and JPSS rear 32mm sway bar. Hoping this helps resolves some of my issues.

The wheel bearings were another thought in which i brought up with my dealer, they stated there was little play but determined the ZL1 sized rims and tires were not factory installed on the car eventhough they are OEM.

Still keeping an open mind though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by SummitWhite11; 04-12-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:29 PM   #14
Spec
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS LS3
Maybe the bushings weren't timed properly when they installed the springs?
Spec is offline   Reply With Quote