Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 04-23-2021, 01:00 PM   #15
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post

gtstorey's link is a good breakdown of fluids, but it could use an update.

This associated link gives some good data on fluids:
https://thebuildjournal.com/tech-gui...view-analysis/
Yep, It's been a 2-3 years since I did a deep dive into brake fluid, so things do seem to have changed.
gtstorey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:02 PM   #16
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
Check out my build thread. I removed the OE cooler. It wasn't bad IMO. Probably the most difficult part was getting the old coolant fitting out of the engine block. You'll need a 34mm deep well socket. IIRC I did trim this socket, but my pics don't show it.

Name:  IMG_7716.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  176.4 KB

Name:  IMG_7717.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  201.5 KB

For the brass plug, you need a hex/allen dickpin

Name:  IMG_7721.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  303.8 KB

Adding a standalone cooler that was not from a already put together kit was a lot more time consuming and tedious. Do not go with the Mishimoto oil cooler by itself. I see you already have it. It is designed to work with the OE oil cooler. It alone will not keep temps in check. Been there, done that.

The Quantum kit can be improved on as far as long term durability. See the below pic where mine cracked (in red). I ended up making a reinforcing plate out of thin stainless and I think it will be good.
Name:  InkedIMG_1975_LI.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  275.3 KB
Old 04-25-2021, 10:16 PM   #17
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
As far as idle oil pressure mine is at 15 psi at 205* and 50 psi at cruising with the melling 10295. So I'm actually thinking about switching the oil pump out to the m365hv. I don't know what your mileage is but it's made for higher mileage engines and comes with a higher pressure springs also.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:40 PM   #18
Elihu Smails

Drives: 2015 SIM 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawz View Post
I am running HAWK HP-Plus Sport/Track Pads.
Figured I would get a good pad when I did the Z06 Upgrade.

The Hawk HP Plus are not remotely considered a good pad for this car on a track.

I don't think I had good luck with those on my Focus ST, even.

DTC 70 front, DTC 60 rear and you'll be good. Keep your track pads, as track pads, and run those HP plus on the street
Elihu Smails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:45 PM   #19
Coz3z3

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2015 1LE
As for oil weight, I run Amsoil 15w50 in my Z/28. Can look into that as well. I know it’s in my manual to switch it to 15w50 for heavy track days. Helps with pressure too as it doesn’t get as thin as 5w30 when getting hot. Haven’t seen it heat up all that much since switching to that.
Coz3z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:47 AM   #20
Trawz

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Just a little update:

Last Friday was track day #2 at PIR.
I didn't have time to address my pads/brake cooling and it became MUCH MORE evident that it is a must. After hauling down from 140mph for the turn hairpin chicane a couple times, I could immediately smell them. They were not happy.
My first session was cut short because they black flagged me for sound (at the 103db limit).
The next sessions I had to ease on the throttle/short shift on the long straights to avoid being black flagged again.
As a result, I wasn't pushing the brakes as hard anymore.
Which was good because I believe I had severely overheated the pads on the first session. They were squealing the whole way home, weather I was on the brakes or not... The hotter they get, the worse they squealed. They didn't do that before.
Ordered new pads already to go with the titanium spacers.
Hoping I can put together a brake cooling system this month.

Also, my driver side muffler fell off the hanger onto the rear defuser and melted that section on session 2... Fixed that at the track, but a new rear defuser is on the buy list too.
Corsa Extreme cat-back, Speed Engineering LT Headers with black ceramic coating, C7 Z06 Front Brake Upgrade, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, BMR Tunnel Brace, Mishimoto Oil Catch Can, MSD Plug Wires, Mishimoto Radiator and Hoses.
Trawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 02:52 PM   #21
cdb95z28

What pads did you order?
Old 05-13-2021, 08:42 PM   #22
Trawz

I got EBC Yellows for the street and DTS70s for the track.
Trying to find a pad that can take the heat of a track day and then be steetable doesn't seem to be really possible.
You either have a pad that works when cold on the street, but gets overwhelmed on the track, or you have a loud, squeaky pad that feels like it does nothing on the street until warm.
Corsa Extreme cat-back, Speed Engineering LT Headers with black ceramic coating, C7 Z06 Front Brake Upgrade, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, BMR Tunnel Brace, Mishimoto Oil Catch Can, MSD Plug Wires, Mishimoto Radiator and Hoses.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:55 PM   #23
cdb95z28

Quote:
I got EBC Yellows for the street and DTS70s for the track.
Trying to find a pad that can take the heat of a track day and then be steetable doesn't seem to be really possible.
You either have a pad that works when cold on the street, but gets overwhelmed on the track, or you have a loud, squeaky pad that feels like it does nothing on the street until warm.
I somewhat disagree. There are many race pads that can be used on the street and offer excellent street braking power. I run the Raybestos ST43 pads. Yes, they squeak on the street! But they offer excellent street performance. They have excellent cold bite and response. They dust, I don't care about that. Any good pad will.

Some guys run the Ferodo DS2500 and like them on track. They have been described as the OE HP100/1 Ferodo pad that is up one notch.

Switching from street to race pads and back can add more maintenance and will start to be a drag on prepping for track days. Not to mention the potential for incompatible pad material between the street and track pad. You would have to get a fresh rotor surface at every change.

I'm sure there are other pads out there that can be both, but talk to Ken at KNS Brakes or Sam Strano at Strano Parts to get more info.

Before you do anything else, get the cooling done
Old 05-14-2021, 08:51 AM   #24
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Where did your oil pressure, oil temp, and tranny temp go to?
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:35 AM   #25
Trawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb95z28 View Post
I somewhat disagree. There are many race pads that can be used on the street and offer excellent street braking power. I run the Raybestos ST43 pads. Yes, they squeak on the street! But they offer excellent street performance. They have excellent cold bite and response. They dust, I don't care about that. Any good pad will.

Some guys run the Ferodo DS2500 and like them on track. They have been described as the OE HP100/1 Ferodo pad that is up one notch.

Switching from street to race pads and back can add more maintenance and will start to be a drag on prepping for track days. Not to mention the potential for incompatible pad material between the street and track pad. You would have to get a fresh rotor surface at every change.

I'm sure there are other pads out there that can be both, but talk to Ken at KNS Brakes or Sam Strano at Strano Parts to get more info.

Before you do anything else, get the cooling done
That's what I wanted to find, a great all-around pad. I was planning on getting a dedicated track pad when I get a set of dedicated track wheels/tires, but that wont be in the budget for a while.
I will admit that I didn't put much time into shopping for pads and just went with the street pad and track pad method.
Driving around town with the current cooked pads squealing CONSTANTLY is beyond annoying, so I just wanted new pads sooner then later.

I will be hitting up Ken or Sam sometime soon tho! I will see how the swapping goes, but I bet I will want an all-around pad...

Hopefully I will have more time to plan-out a brake cooling solution the beginning of June.

Thanks again for all your very useful information and insight!
Old 05-14-2021, 12:02 PM   #26
Trawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
Where did your oil pressure, oil temp, and tranny temp go to?
I never changed my oil to 5w40 because the AMSOIL 5w30 is only about 250 miles old...

Plus the weather was much cooler last Friday and that helped.
My coolant temp never got above 195 on the track and my oil pressure/temp were about the same as last time if not better then they were.

Already ordered 3 gallons of AMSOIL 5w40 for when I got "enough" mileage out of the 5w30.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:55 PM   #27
APR_ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
At PIR the DTC-70s should be okay. The smell is normal for heavy brake use. Squealing can come and go; I don't think it is a sign of the pads overheating, may be a sign they are not hot enough. If overheated, there should be evidence on the rotors.
DTC-70s are good on the street; better than stock brake bite when cold. They may squeal with dust build up and cold.
APR_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:11 PM   #28
cdb95z28

Quote:
That's what I wanted to find, a great all-around pad. I was planning on getting a dedicated track pad when I get a set of dedicated track wheels/tires, but that wont be in the budget for a while.
I will admit that I didn't put much time into shopping for pads and just went with the street pad and track pad method.
Driving around town with the current cooked pads squealing CONSTANTLY is beyond annoying, so I just wanted new pads sooner then later.

I will be hitting up Ken or Sam sometime soon tho! I will see how the swapping goes, but I bet I will want an all-around pad...

Hopefully I will have more time to plan-out a brake cooling solution the beginning of June.

Thanks again for all your very useful information and insight!
You're welcome.

Haha, I dig the squealing of mine. #becauseracecar!