Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-24-2022, 11:06 AM   #1
kiteman

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro, 2SS/M6
can anyone diagnose what this sound is coming from?

2012 camaro ss m6, bought it brand new in 2011. has about 65k miles on it.

https://youtu.be/ztmgJOQrVFQ
kiteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 12:04 PM   #2
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Probably your clock spring. It's the slip ring thing that connects all the connections in your steering wheel (including air bag) to the stationary harness in the dash.

My car has a bit of noise from it, also, but not nearly that bad.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 01:00 PM   #3
kiteman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
Probably your clock spring. It's the slip ring thing that connects all the connections in your steering wheel (including air bag) to the stationary harness in the dash.

is that easily replaceable and do i actually need to worry about it, or leave it alone?
Old 03-24-2022, 02:19 PM   #4
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Not so easily replaceable. You'll have to pull the steering wheel, and usually requires programming after installation, or you'll throw ESC/Stabilitrack and/or air bag lights. If you can stand the noise, it's not going to cause any major problems, until a wire rubs through (may happen tomorrow, may never happen) and then you'll either lose steering wheel controls, or have an air bag light turn on, or both. The car will start, run, drive regardless.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 03:31 PM   #5
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Not so easily replaceable. You'll have to pull the steering wheel, and usually requires programming after installation, or you'll throw ESC/Stabilitrack and/or air bag lights. If you can stand the noise, it's not going to cause any major problems, until a wire rubs through (may happen tomorrow, may never happen) and then you'll either lose steering wheel controls, or have an air bag light turn on, or both. The car will start, run, drive regardless.
It doesn't require programming.

It only requires that you keep your wheels straight when taking off (keeping track of where you left it). Also, it has an alignment meter built into it, kind of like a sight glass.. But alignment and wheel placement, and keep the wheel straight during removal install is super important.

It's one of those things you really want to watch a few videos on and do some research before you attempt it, but its really not bad at all. Just need to follow instructions.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 03-24-2022 at 03:43 PM.
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 05:15 PM   #6
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:

It's NOT a slip ring. A slip ring would have contacts and brushes like an electric motor. Instead, it's a flex tape wound like a clock spring. When you turn the steering wheel, inevitably the wound up flex tape rubs together and makes a sound. The sound IS NOT a sign of malfunction.

It's NOT BROKE so DON'T FIX IT.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 11:25 PM   #7
kiteman

Thumbs up to all. Always helpful and I’ll leave it be for now. Thanks fellas
Old 03-28-2022, 07:34 PM   #8
Theloots

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteman View Post
2012 camaro ss m6, bought it brand new in 2011. has about 65k miles on it.

https://youtu.be/ztmgJOQrVFQ
Ever since I had mine ... about 5 years now .. I've had a similar squeak turning. If I got it fixed .. I'd probably miss the noise ! LOL. Go enjoy it !!