Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-08-2022, 10:09 AM   #15
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Thank you for the video! VERY informative & helpful! What about Launch Control
and Traction Control useage?
Turn the launch and traction control off - once the car is modified much they don't work like they are supposed to, and you're better off managing power with your right foot.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:41 AM   #16
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Turn the launch and traction control off - once the car is modified much they don't work like they are supposed to, and you're better off managing power with your right foot.
Thanks for that info
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 11:35 AM   #17
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Here it be..
Slipper Clutch is different than a Clutch Slipper.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 03:10 PM   #18
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
Slipper Clutch is different than a Clutch Slipper.
Oh boy, guess I'll stay outta this one. Was just trying to help.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:41 PM   #19
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Oh boy, guess I'll stay outta this one. Was just trying to help.
Appreciate it. Here is the clutch slipper setup I'm trying, along with an LPE CTAP (not pictured). The controller (on the left) goes under the dash. The manifold and solenoid (as shown on the right) go in-between the clutch master and slave cylinder.
Attached Images

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 08:26 AM   #20
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Appreciate it. Here is the clutch slipper setup I'm trying, along with an LPE CTAP (not pictured). The controller (on the left) goes under the dash. The manifold and solenoid (as shown on the right) go in-between the clutch master and slave cylinder.
Cool thanks for the education sir! Learn something everyday on here. Appreciate you not flaming me. lol.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:28 AM   #21
sinisterZL1

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
I installed the BangShift Billy clutch slipper with the LPE CTAP as the pedal position reader of the OEM pedal sensor. The concept is good. I don't think I'm getting a timely position signal from the OEM clutch switch so I think I'm going to have to install a mechanical switch (somehow) for the pedal and ditch the CTAP.

Me, being me, added to the complexity and installed a delay timing circuit to incorporate into the timing of the master switch holding and releasing the clutch.

What the clutch slipper is:
It is a manifold with a solenoid installed inline between the master and slave cylinder. A controller, in this case is able to be adjusted via an Android/iPhone with Bluetooth, can set the delay the clutch pedal is release after side-stepping the pedal. The controller delays then holds the clutch at the "bite" engagement point where you're expected to launch (the controller is controlling how far the pedal traveled). After a set point of time, it fully releases (like maybe after 0.75sec). Like I said, the concept is good but I think the CTAP and the OEM pedal sensor is not very compatible with each other because we're talking milliseconds in time for changes in the clutch travel.

Luckily, "Billy" is just down the road from me, maybe an hours drive. So, he's been readily available since these haven't been installed in any Camaro yet (I'm the first).
Perfect. Thanks for the info. I think I need a 2step/launch control first. I just want to make one change at a time but I like this idea of a clutch slipper.
sinisterZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 11:45 PM   #22
Big Biscuits

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3
Did you get it installed yet? I just bought one. I had an idea for one, but it didn’t work like I had hoped. Bangshift device is well engineered.
Big Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 05:35 AM   #23
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
Quote:
There are a couple things that will help. You've already identified the biggest problem - and that's finding "the edge" of the friction zone. The pedal travel in a gen5 Camaro is LONG, and the second half of it is largely dead and useless. A clutch pedal stop to limit downward travel to the minimum amount required to fully release the clutch goes a long ways to helping this problem. With a clutch stop, once you begin to move out of the "fully depressed" position you're getting right into the friction zone without a large dead zone of travel. That alone can go a long way to helping consistency.

A clutch stop can be a challenge because if the travel is short enough, you may not be able to travel the clutch position sensor far enough to tell the ECM you have the pedal depressed and to allow the engine to crank. There is a clutch position learn in HPTuners that kinda sorta sometimes works, or you can just remove the clutch pedal/starting interlock and take the clutch pedal out of the equation completely. Keep in mind, the car can and will start in gear if you key the starter while in gear. I don't ever hand my keys to anyone else, so this is not a concern for me.

The other thing that goes a long way is using the e-brake to preload the driveline on launches. You're basically using the e-brake to hold the car still while you lightly drag the clutch. This benefits in two ways - you know you're right in the edge of the friction zone, and you also have all the "slack" out of the driveline, which dramatically helps reduce breakage and wheel hop. As you identified, this can be a problem if the two setup does not release in the correct place. This should be tunable if you're using a Lingenfelter C-Tap to translate the 0-5v clutch sensor signal to an on/off 12v signal for a two step.

I use a N2MB WOT box, which is able to interpret and set the 2 step release point anywhere in the clutch travel. I have the 2-step "release" just as I get into the middle of the friction zone, it take a little tuning to find that point, but with a good 2 step it's going to start to release as soon as the RPM drops at all from the clutch release and be instantly at full power.

I've got a launch video out on YouTube that goes into some of this. It's a little lengthy, but it may have some nuggets of information that you'd find valuable. With your power level, I think you're going to be doing a dance of power management with your right foot on top of modulating your left foot. Some power management strategies could really help you're launch too - timing or boost against either time or mph could be valuable in helping manage that power and bring it in at a rate the tires will handle.

,,remove the clutch pedal/starting interlock"

Can this be done...? Eliminate the need to depress the clutch pedal when starting the engine...?
Every time I start the Camaro and imagine what's going on with the thrust bearings on the crankshaft, I curse the idiot who came up with this and imagine chasing that guy around the block trying to break a fence post on his back

...as if this safety element could not be made on the brake pedal instead of the clutch.

K&N CAI, Stainless Power longtubes, high flow cats, modified Ragazzon High Performance axle back, Soler Performance ported throttle body, Soler Performance throttle controller, RAM clutch adjuster, modified LS7 clutch kit, Tick Performance billet bearing support, Tick Performance remote bleeder, separate clutch reservoir, BMR trailing arms, BMR toe rods, Pedders Suspension cradle bushing inserts, Control Arm Bushings, Strut tower brace, oil catch can, Hurst T-handle shifter, 20mm wheel spacers, DBA brakes, QTP Cutouts, Dynosteve tune.
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 07:32 AM   #24
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by George-CZ View Post
Can this be done...? Eliminate the need to depress the clutch pedal when starting the engine...?
Every time I start the Camaro and imagine what's going on with the thrust bearings on the crankshaft, I curse the idiot who came up with this and imagine chasing that guy around the block trying to break a fence post on his back

...as if this safety element could not be made on the brake pedal instead of the clutch.
George,
Did a search and came up with this thread. This is on a V6 but, I’m guessing it’s the same on the 8, as well. Just an FYI.

Clutch Switch
Old 10-08-2022, 09:02 AM   #25
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by George-CZ View Post

Yes it can - I don't depress the clutch to start my car. I'd be selective about who you let hop in the drivers seat once you do stuff like this - it will start in gear.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 10:57 AM   #26
George-CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
George,
Did a search and came up with this thread. This is on a V6 but, I’m guessing it’s the same on the 8, as well. Just an FYI.

Clutch Switch

Sorry, I didn't write it all.
If I understood it correctly and translated it from English to Czech, it can be done using the HP tuner...?

K&N CAI, Stainless Power longtubes, high flow cats, modified Ragazzon High Performance axle back, Soler Performance ported throttle body, Soler Performance throttle controller, RAM clutch adjuster, modified LS7 clutch kit, Tick Performance billet bearing support, Tick Performance remote bleeder, separate clutch reservoir, BMR trailing arms, BMR toe rods, Pedders Suspension cradle bushing inserts, Control Arm Bushings, Strut tower brace, oil catch can, Hurst T-handle shifter, 20mm wheel spacers, DBA brakes, QTP Cutouts, Dynosteve tune.
Old 10-08-2022, 11:04 AM   #27
George-CZ

Quote:
Yes it can - I don't depress the clutch to start my car. I'd be selective about who you let hop in the drivers seat once you do stuff like this - it will start in gear.

I don't have a problem with it and I will tell my girlfriend so she knows what has changed and it will be fine.

And it also works via the HP Tuner, if I understood correctly..?

Old 10-09-2022, 07:00 AM   #28
oldman14ss

Drives: 2014 1ss camaro
acammer, how do i delete the clutch switch. i hate that thing. nobody drives but me. ive driven sticks so long that everytime i get in i check the stick for neutral even before the keys go in. old school never had it. i had a 4th gen i got rid of the switch. can i just jump it out? why is can bus a factor third wire just a monitor? did you use something like hp tuners? i have the service manuals for my car. i dont see how it would effect can bus operations. please advise. that v6 link was just opinions no real knowledge thanks in advance. the oldman.... p.s. ive been wanting to do this since i bought the car 5 years ago
oldman14ss is offline   Reply With Quote