Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

Old 12-12-2014, 06:40 PM   #1
Camaro the Hun
Shake N Bake, Baby!

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Koons Chevy Trying to Charge Me for Free Service

Hi all,

Just tried to get my 2014 2SS/RS serviced for its first covered maintenance at 7500. My oil light was accidentally reset a while back so now it's not on despite me coming up on 7400 miles. It states there is 28% oil life.

The dealer, Koons Chevy in Tysons Corner in VA, sent me the following email:

At the time of check in let your service advisor know that you would like to sign the waiver, they will be able to supply it at that time. We have scheduled your reservation. If your change engine oil soon light is not on at the time of service, we unfortunately will not be able to get it covered under the maintenance plan, and it will be of charge to you.

Anybody hear of this before? Do all dealers pull this? When I tried to ask them about the center consol not being seated right they were right hostile saying "Well we'll have to see if it's actually covered but we won't know that until you actually bring it in will we?"

So, two things, anybody go through this? And two, any better, trusted dealers in the NOVA area?

“The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
"May God have mercy on my enemies because I won't." General Patton
Camaro the Hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
Blue Ray

Drives: 2017 LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro the Hun View Post
Hi all,

Just tried to get my 2014 2SS/RS serviced for its first covered maintenance at 7500. My oil light was accidentally reset a while back so now it's not on despite me coming up on 7400 miles. It states there is 28% oil life.

The dealer, Koons Chevy in Tysons Corner in VA, sent me the following email:

At the time of check in let your service advisor know that you would like to sign the waiver, they will be able to supply it at that time. We have scheduled your reservation. If your change engine oil soon light is not on at the time of service, we unfortunately will not be able to get it covered under the maintenance plan, and it will be of charge to you.

Anybody hear of this before? Do all dealers pull this? When I tried to ask them about the center consol not being seated right they were right hostile saying "Well we'll have to see if it's actually covered but we won't know that until you actually bring it in will we?"

So, two things, anybody go through this? And two, any better, trusted dealers in the NOVA area?
Just got my first oil change today. I have had my 2014 2SS for five months but only 2900 miles. My girlfriend got her oil change at 4300 miles. Need to find a better dealership. There not very service oriented.
Blue Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:59 PM   #3
Camaro the Hun
Shake N Bake, Baby!

Thank you for the input! I figured they were pricks given how they treated me when I phone this evening. What a shame. Thanks again!

“The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
Old 12-13-2014, 06:53 AM   #4
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festial #26
It's all about relationships at these dealers. And right now, you don't have one. They all pretty much have the same, lame service writers and that's where it starts.

Good luck in your quest. I could recommend a NOVA dealer, but it won't help you. Sometimes these people can be real pinheads.

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:50 AM   #5
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
I had a Toyota dealership do this. Wanted oil changed before 3K and they threw a fit. I just wanted to use the first free coupon.

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:59 AM   #6
BluePhoenix

Drives: GMC Sierra AT4
Your car must be at 20% oil life for them to give you the free oil change. I was told that by 2 different dealers on my wife's 2014 Equinox.

WTB - 2010 Camaro 1SS or 2SS, Aqua Blue Metallic, A6
BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
chuckstacamaro

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS BRM Purchase 03/19/2014
I told my dealer that I old school when it comes to oil changes and
I was able to get my first oil change done @ 3000 miles. It all depends upon the dealer and relationship/rapport with the service manager.
chuckstacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:06 AM   #8
Gary24

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I took mine to the Chevy dealer in Manassas Va. They treated me very well.
Gary24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #9
Camaro the Hun
Shake N Bake, Baby!

Thanks guys!

I ended up calling Ourisman and they treated me really well. I am a little leery of them but they were awesome and when I get back from leave they are going to handle this for me. Additionally, they are going to handle a couple other issues covered by the warranty as well.

Coons (Tysons) was trying to tell me nothing was covered under the warranty and that my free 2 years of routine oil service wasn't covered either. Insane.

My family has raced for years with grandpa revolutionizing the vette engine back in the day so I'm pretty knowledgeable about these things. I guess some people would just pay them and they figured me for an idiot. Madness.

Anyway, I shan't take up any more space on here but offer a hardy thanks for your support and assistance!

Old 12-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #10
Green Machine
Always Workin

Drives: 2021 Mazda MX-5
I don't have 7k miles on my car yet and have had the oil changed three times (under the free service) at two different dealerships.

One charged me extra for mobile 1, the other didn't.

2018 1SS 1LE, HyperBlue Metallic (Sold)
2014 1SS 1LE, Black, Twin Turbo (Sold)
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #11
Baltimorejohn1

Drives: Camaro 2SS
Koons owner goes to church in Manassas I wonder if she knows this
Also in between oil changes they're suppose to top you off that will get EM moving

Manassas does mine as well as Pohanka no lip
Old 12-22-2014, 09:14 AM   #12
Camaro the Hun
Shake N Bake, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltimorejohn1 View Post
Koons owner goes to church in Manassas I wonder if she knows this
Also in between oil changes they're suppose to top you off that will get EM moving

Manassas does mine as well as Pohanka no lip
I am more than willing to bet she does not know but she should. It wasn't until I started to question this is idea of being charged that they backed up a little. Then they (Koons Sales Mgr) wanted to know where I bought the car and when I said a different dealership they said they'd charge me. When I tried to get a hold of the service manager I was told I couldn't talk to the manager but **perhaps** I could speak an assistant manager the next day. Later, via email, they asked for all kinds of info to include my VIN and I'd had more than enough at that point. OnStar had already sent me information over so WTFO. Anyway, I had two friends gearing up to buy vettes and now they are going to a different dealership meaning well over $120K loss in sales for Koons. At some point I plan to trade up to a Stingray and I won't be going to Koons. Reference Pohanka...heard lots of good there. If I get hosed by Ourisman, I'll make the drive over to Po. Thanks for the insight, all.

At least I can report this to the GM panel so they have SA and get in touch with my contact at GM in the CEO's office. Last time I had a pretty substantial problem (I bought a car in RI and the car was in NY - the dealer in NY sold my car after I bought it/signed the paperwork!!) and GM really did step in to save the day. They won't do it over an oil change fee but at least I'll feel better reporting it.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:05 PM   #13
Camaro the Hun
Shake N Bake, Baby!

All,

Just a quick update. I'm not a huge fan of Ourisman after I bought from them in 2007 but I must say, their location in Alexandria stepped up to the plate. They didn't give me any shit, try to force me to pay, got me in at the time/date I wanted, were professional and fast. Actually, I was really impressed and coming from me, that means a lot. Ha! Thanks to all who have posted on here! Appreciate the support and assistance.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:18 PM   #14
fastlane2010

Drives: 2010 camaro with fast lane stage 2
If u have any trouble me and don't mind traveling to hagerstown md I work at the chevy caddy dealership been there 12 yrs and we have no problem with any of the oil change requirements a day with us its first come first serve as long as you are there by 430 your done by 5 when we close

fastlane2010 is offline   Reply With Quote