Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-10-2019, 05:47 AM   #1
cam fan

Drives: fast
Time to replace catalytic converter- it’s modding season

My 2011 v6 champion just reached the 100k mile bracket and threw a code. My trusty local mechanic says the catalytic converter is spent & it’s time for a new one. I always wanted the BBK long tube headers with high flow cats but also may buy an accompanying cat back exhaust. Recommendation? Tips? Looking for the closest thing to a deep v8 burble. Thanks!

(Also- can you guys help me find that forum discount for the best price on the headers? TY)
Old 04-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #2
cam fan

Drives: fast
With some research, it sounds like an MRT 2.0 axel back and the LT headers are great. Already have a vararam cai.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:47 AM   #3
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam fan View Post
With some research, it sounds like an MRT 2.0 axel back and the LT headers are great. Already have a vararam cai.

Go catless

These are the headers I have had for many years on my Camaro. Along with MRT 2.0 Also you will want the Magnaflow resonated X pipe to help eliminate the rasp produced with headers.

I get compliments daily for how good my set-up sounds.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Header-...s/182314003849
Old 07-03-2019, 11:28 PM   #4
Mickalo
Who Dat?

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS A6
Send a message via Skype™ to Mickalo
Not saying your mechanic is not telling the truth but if you car is throwing error codes such as P0420 or P0430 then it may just be a build up in your cats and obstructed o2 sensors.

I would honestly try something like cataclean first to flush out the system. it requires u to run your fuel tank until its dry enough to apply cataclean then re-fuel your car and drive around a bit to let application do its deed. You can clear any CEL codes before applying to see if it stays gone or reappears. if it reappears, at that point i would try changing the o2 sensors before cat replacement.Worked for me on my 2010 Camaro V6 hasn't thrown a code since but I also use the application atleast 2-3 times a year.

then again thats only if you aren't trying to shell out money and keep your current setup.
Mickalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 11:50 PM   #5
EcotradeTeam

Drives: Honda
Hey, you can sell your old catalytic converter to Ecotrade !
Specialized, we have been recycling catalytic converter for over the last 15 years. Find the value of your catalyst with trust and ease
https://www.catalyticconverterrecycling.com/
EcotradeTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:21 PM   #6
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I have American Racing headers long tubes & a special H-pipe Nick from ARH made for me along with their high flow cats. They are pricey but worth the extra $ They are made with a better grade tubing, will never rust & the welds are literally a work of art. I was concerned about the sound of V6 Camaros with headers from ones I had heard. I talked to Nick at ARH & he said that with their special H-pipe he promised it would sound good & that his H-pipe would not make any significant difference in the supposed added performance from other brands X-pipes. I have been very pleased with my set-up. BTW, I kept my previously installed Borla mufflers. Here is a clip of a solo drag run.