Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-25-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
y2jdmbfan

Drives: 2013 IOM ZL1
Swirl Marks on Victory Red...

Guys,

Just noticed in the last two extremely HOT and SUNNY days up here in the suburbs of Chicago that my new Victory Red 2SS Camaro has alot of fine swirl marks in it...I am guessing this is probably from when the dealer unpacked and washed it, although I have taken it through a touchless car war a couple of times and used some brand new microfiber rags to dry the spots the air dryer didn't get. I am thinking about taking it to a local detail guy next week and see what he can do with it. Any other hints / ideas? I bought some Meguiar's SwirlX and I may try it on a section tonight...

Y2J
y2jdmbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:14 PM   #2
2010 2-Tone

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
If they are light the swirlX will work just fine!!
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
y2jdmbfan

Drives: 2013 IOM ZL1
Do you have any experience with the swirlx? Do I need to really work it in and apply lots of pressure to the point where the applicator has paint on it? I don't have a dual action polisher yet or anything...
y2jdmbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
2010 2-Tone

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
I have a friend that used it and it worked great. I know that he never used it before that time and I guess he just followed the directions and it came out awesome.
2010 2-Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
Paperer
Ragin' Cajun

Drives: '02 Camaro SS - '10 CGM 2SS/RS
Swirls will happen, the best thing I've used (on black paint) is Meguiar's new "Swirl X" you apply it like wax, but just a little more thorough and then just wipe off.

Here's a review:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=30630
Paperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:41 PM   #6
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
I would'nt start taking thin layers of your paint off this early. Use a good
glaze to cover them for now. Z-5 might work although it is more for darker
colors I think.
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:43 PM   #7
live2well

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS A6
Adam's Polish swirl and haze remover along with their revive polish

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-97-ad...ar-polish.aspx
Old 06-25-2009, 07:47 PM   #8
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Swirls can be visually hid by polishing the surface with a mild polish. This rounds off the top edge of the swirl, robbing sunlight of a sharp edge to cause a reflection. When you buff off the polishing residues, fillers will stay in the depressions. Finish by applying your favorite wax or paint sealant. This will hold the fillers in place, cosmetically hiding swirls and minor paint blemishes. Polishing also restores surface gloss and prepares the surface for waxing. This procedure does not remove the swirl. Swirls may be visible in certain light conditions (fluorescent lamps are ruthlessly revealing) and will reappear as the wax ages. That said, most people will look at your car and think it's flawless.

Before polishing, it's a good idea to check for paint contamination. This is easily done by placing your hand inside a plastic sandwich bag and running your fingertips over the surface. If the paint is rough or gritty, consider using a clay bar before trying to remove swirls.This step is optional but worth the extra effort. Hand polishing will not remove rough, gritty paint contamination. If your car's paint surface is smooth, proceed with polishing.

A mild polish such as SwirlX, Meguiar's No.9 Swirl Remover or 3M Perfect-It Swirl Remover. A Microfiber or form Applicator Pad. A Microfiber Towel. Your favorite wax or paint sealant.

Work on a 16 to 20 square inch area, out of direct sunlight.
Apply your polish to a Microfiber or Foam Applicator Pad or directly on the paint. This is a personal preference. If applying polish to the applicator pad, I use a liberal, Quarter-size amount of product. If applying to the paint, I apply a couple of 6-8 inch long lines of polish.
Using moderate to firm pressure, work the polish over the paint using back-and-forth motions. Polish in a side-to-side motion and then in an up-and-down motion until the polish is almost dry.
Wipe off polish residues using a clean Microfiber Towel.
Continue working in 16 to 20 square inch areas until the complete panel or vehicle is polished.
Follow immediately with your favorite wax or paint sealant to protect and seal the finish.

Last edited by Angelo@Autopia; 06-25-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:05 PM   #9
Rockytophummer

Drives: 2006 Hummer H2 2010 2SS Camaro
When I picked mine up it had 3 swirl marks on trunk they told me it was from when they put that white tape for shipment had come loose they caused that. Went straight back to the dealer since I had just had it 5 mins. They took it to shop and fixed the problem. Don't know if that's what your are from but it can be easily fixed.
Rockytophummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:23 PM   #10
69 Hugger

Drives: 69 Convertible Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr G View Post
Swirls can be visually hid by polishing the surface with a mild polish. This rounds off the top edge of the swirl, robbing sunlight of a sharp edge to cause a reflection. When you buff off the polishing residues, fillers will stay in the depressions. Finish by applying your favorite wax or paint sealant. This will hold the fillers in place, cosmetically hiding swirls and minor paint blemishes. Polishing also restores surface gloss and prepares the surface for waxing. This procedure does not remove the swirl. Swirls may be visible in certain light conditions (fluorescent lamps are ruthlessly revealing) and will reappear as the wax ages. That said, most people will look at your car and think it's flawless.

Before polishing, it's a good idea to check for paint contamination. This is easily done by placing your hand inside a plastic sandwich bag and running your fingertips over the surface. If the paint is rough or gritty, consider using a clay bar before trying to remove swirls.This step is optional but worth the extra effort. Hand polishing will not remove rough, gritty paint contamination. If your car's paint surface is smooth, proceed with polishing.

A mild polish such as SwirlX, Meguiar's No.9 Swirl Remover or 3M Perfect-It Swirl Remover. A Microfiber or form Applicator Pad. A Microfiber Towel. Your favorite wax or paint sealant.

Work on a 18 to 24 square inch area, out of direct sunlight.
Apply your polish to a Microfiber or Foam Applicator Pad or directly on the paint. This is a personal preference. If applying polish to the applicator pad, I use a liberal, Quarter-size amount of product. If applying to the paint, I apply a couple of 6-8 inch long lines of polish.
Using a moderate to firm pressure, work the polish over the paint using back-and-forth motions. Polish in a side-to-side motion and then in an up-and-down motion until the polish is almost dry.
Wipe off polish residues using a clean Microfiber Towel.
Continue working in 16 to 20 square inch areas until the complete panel or vehicle is polished.
Follow immediately with your favorite wax or paint sealant to protect and seal the finish.
What site did you get this off of ?
69 Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
Tecca

Drives: ...
ll

Last edited by Tecca; 07-02-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:47 PM   #12
Angelo@Autopia

No Site , go with Meguiars Swirl X Swirl Remover (works the best for me). After you finish with Swirl X you can finish with Z2 or Z5, or go with both mixed together as a combo killer ( don't forget to ZFX them ), Z6 is your quick detailer.

Last edited by Angelo@Autopia; 06-25-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:48 PM   #13
Brian2SS/RS
Giggity

Drives: 2009 Malibu 1LT
here is a tip. dont take it to a local car wash. lol
Brian2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:50 PM   #14
Angelo@Autopia

On soft Clear coats it can be done with no problem, but look out for those hard ones, you might need a Polisher to remove them.