Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-11-2009, 11:41 PM   #1
derin11

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Waxing, Swirl remover

After typical washing and driving, My car has developed lots and lots of light swirl marks, and the clear coat has become, not so Shiny anymore.

My question is, I bought the car in april.

If i have my car detailed what exactly should i have the detailer do to make it look brand new again with little to no swirl marks.
derin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:59 PM   #2
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
hate to say but its really hard to get rid of swirls. just need to get a good coat of wax put on your car. now many people on here recommend that zaino wax. but as for me i am happy with mothers or meguiars. now also do a nice cleaner then a sealer then a good coat of carnuba wax. and always make sure to rinse car very well before washing and to use only microfibers on it. buy a large pack and use clean ones. if you dirty one and wash it but still show dirt use it on something else and get a new one. thats what i try to do.
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:46 AM   #3
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
IMO, your best bet is to invest some time and money in good quality products and set aside some time to do it yourself.

Products; I'd recommend Mothers, Meguires, of Zaino.

The swirls are inevitable. The best prevention is first, a good wax/polish. Follow up using good quality wash mitts (sheepskin or chenile) and quality towels for drying and polish removal (the Blond Towels on www.zainobros.com are some of the best).
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:47 AM   #4
Croathlete
Danny

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Croathlete
Z5 from Zaino does a great job of removing swirls.

DON_RAFA describing my Noweeds cutouts - "Very Strong. When I couldn't see you I still heard you. Sounds like your car is pissed at the world."
Croathlete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #5
Steve P

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by derin11 View Post
After typical washing and driving, My car has developed lots and lots of light swirl marks, and the clear coat has become, not so Shiny anymore.

If i have my car detailed what exactly should i have the detailer do to make it look brand new again with little to no swirl marks.
I would suggest taking a closer look at your towels and wash mitts that you use in washing and drying the car. Test them on the back of an old CD. If it leaves fine scratches on the CD, it will also do this on your clear coat.

Here's the highlights of one of my recent detailing projects. Being an extreme case of this detail, this will give you an idea of what the detailer may do to a lesser degree to restore the surface gloss and clarity on your car. You can even do this yourself with the more appropriate materials and techniques. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/appear...ighlights.html
Steve P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #6
fmdog44

Drives: 1965 impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by derin11 View Post

If you are just now seeing swirls you are probably guilty of putting them on. Are you using an orbital buffer with a lambswool pad to rub off polish or wax? If so, stop. Try a couple swirl removers on the shelf like Mequires. Work in a back and fourth linear motion in one small area. Do not apply much pressure, only minimum. When you are done step back and see how that spot compares to the rest of the surface. Try 3m Imperial Hand Glaze if the marks are still there.
fmdog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:08 PM   #7
NVMY68SS
Drives #296

Drives: 1968 Camaro SS - 350/5 Speed
A coat of Zymol followed by a coat of Meguiars Gold Class will help get rid of the swirls as well.

I'd bet money that you are using the old standard of circular patterns when you wash or wax your car. If so, STOP.........this is what's causing your problem. And start using a 2 bucket method of washing. Go in one direction, front to back with the sponge and rinse in bucket #2 before putting back in soap and on car.

Also, whatever wax/polish you are using should be applied in one direction back and forth and then removed at a 90 deg to it. This will help the product fill in those problem swirls. Depending on how bad they are, this process may need to be repeated.
#296 Delivered 6-1-09 Dynoed 10-3-09 384.56HP 387.65TQ with the bolt-ons listed, no tune.....yet!
Roto-Fab CAI (Install pics here), Doug Thorley Shorties, Flowmaster American Thunder 409S Cat Back Vid
NVMY68SS is offline   Reply With Quote