Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #71
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
Something's not adding up here. How can a 600HP car that is lighter have the same 0-60 times as one that has 422HP and is heavier? I'm gonna say it had to do with traction. Did that SVT Cobra have traction/launch control? That may be how the Camaro can match it's 0-60.

Oh and P.S. - I hope the V8 Camaro sounds something like that SVT Cobra.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
That's why I posted the article from Car and Driver. All things do add up because it is the modern technology of today that encompasses the V8 automatic (with special tuning that was done) to get it to be faster with a heavier car with less HP than the SVT Cobra in the article) Shifting is faster with the modern engine of the Camaro and nobody can shift faster than a computer can. I'm quite sure that the SVT Cobra in the article with a modern automatic would get better times than it did.. It is interesting to compare newer more modern cars with older top of the line bad boys of generations past.. This is no exception..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
Ok, but I still say it had everything to do with traction.
Speedy has it. Edmunds is notorious for their terrible acceleration times for all cars. THey're the last people you should look at for accurate acceleration times for high torque rwd cars.

That Cobra with the Ford racing mods wasn't an optioned car from the showroom. It had like 10k worth of parts bought from ford racing parts. And the 03-04 Cobra weighed about 3650-3700 pounds. IRS, SC and dohc engine. I can't recall whether it was iron or aluminum.

And an engine has nothing to do with how fast a car can shift Supermans, that would be the transmission. And the SVT Cobra used the same one that was in the Vette and more importantly in the GTO. THe GTO was also factory rated at 0-60 in 4.6 seconds. Just like the new Camaro. At 3720 pounds. With 400hp and 400tq. And it's a 2005 model. That test is a real world test rather than a manufacturers estimate. The best time I've ever seen from the GTO in the 0-60 is 4.7 from a magazine. And that's from Motortrend. I believe Edmunds got the manual trans gto to do 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. They're terrible at figuring out how to launch a RWD car with lots of torque. I believe they got a 5.2 second 0-60 time out of a Solstice GXP. Easier to launch because it has less torque right off the line. And the SVT Cobra is notoriously underrated from the factory and has been known to crush GTOs stock vs stock. I told the story in another thread about a friends friend saying the GTO was slow because it couldn't even beat the Solstice based on what he'd read on edmunds. I'm not a pro driver, but I was able to beat their 1/4mile time by nearly a second. So they clearly suck.

I''m all for the Camaro being a badass car, but it seems like your perception is a bit skewed.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:22 PM   #72
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
And on the subject of the V6 Camaro, it'll be badass. It's been said before. About 10 years ago, V8 cars were putting out those numbers and kicking the asses of other performance cars.

I'm going with a V8. I've owned the GTO and I want the more aggressive looks of the Camaro.

I think the V6's acceleration will be decent. Maybe mid-high 5s and low 14s.

And direct injection engines are able to run higher compression with FI because of the cooler fuel delivery. So I've read.

I like the fact that the V8 will have better suspension and brakes. And it'll be a better total package. Better than a boosted V6. There's more to a car than power and acceleration.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:53 PM   #73
LarkVille

Drives: The Larkvillemobile
There are a very select few here who have admitted that they simply don't need 400+ hp. I know I'm one of those. The guys that will be boosting want maybe 30-50 extra hp and they're satisfied, not necessarily to get V8 performance.

This is on top of the other reasons already mentioned for V6 advantages (fuel economy, less expensive, insurance rates, look of the front grille, etc.). But really GM seems to have put such a refined feel into the design of the car, that more buyers will feel comfortable associating the Camaro with a 6-cyl. (as scary as that may sound), especially with 300 hp stock.
LarkVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #74
mfr1950

Drives: 2011 challengerR/T , 2010 Ram R/T
Question Am I the only one?

Went to the local Chevy dealer yesterday and placed an order for a v-6 RS
Mine was the 15th order they had taken, the other 14 were for V8 SS,
I don't think I'll need 400 horsepower, Are the v6 Camaros going to be a big minority????
mfr1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #75
The_Beast_
THE GoldMember

Drives: '92 Pathfinder A.K.A The BEAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfr1950 View Post
Went to the local Chevy dealer yesterday and placed an order for a v-6 RS
Mine was the 15th order they had taken, the other 14 were for V8 SS,
I don't think I'll need 400 horsepower, Are the v6 Camaros going to be a big minority????

NO the 6's are going to be the lifeblood of the 5th Gen. Thats whats gonna keep her alive.

BTW: welcome to the forum

AUGUST 2009 AURORA HITSS THE SSTREETSS!!!!!

~MY SSCHEME: BLACK W/GOLD BUMPER 2 BUMPER Z-28 SSTRIPESS.~
^In the wise words of Pink, "NO NOT MUSTANG GOLD"

Forget a automatic, a MUSCLE car needs STICK! To bad I'm getting auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lonely Island
IM RIDIN ON A DOLPHIN DOIN FLIPS N' SHIT!!!!

May The Beast Rest In Peace. For Now.
The_Beast_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #76
dayvedayve

Drives: 2006 Chevy Avalanche
The V8's will more than likely be real strong on release but the V6's will overtake them later on and be the backbone of the sales. Which is good IMO because it the Camaro has a strong foundation with the V6's then the Gas Guzzler image will not cause GM to make unnecessary changes to the platform.
dayvedayve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:46 PM   #77
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
My older brother says I should get the DI CTS V6. With a manual it would be great. But I would want an LSD rear.

I think it will be AWESOME.

BUT I have never had a MODERN F.I. V8 with 422HP.

MAN I can't IMAGINE how FAST the LS3 V8 SS manual Camaro will feel.

I KNOW I WILL HAVE TEARS IN MY EYES. WOW. WOW. WOW!!!
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:46 PM   #78
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
I used to have an explorer with a 4.0 v6 and it felt just like a V8 driving around. It was 205 or 225 I think (SOHC). My current LT1 is 300 and this V6 is 4 more HP than the LT1. Which is nuts

My only concern is the sound quality. But from the early videos and that cutout showing the dual it looks good enough to have a sweet sound.

This car should be able to hit well over 160MPH with the V6. More than enough speed for my old bones.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:02 AM   #79
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Governed at 155.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:18 AM   #80
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
why the heck is it governed? honestly, 155 is alredy double the speed limit. what's the point of cutting out the last 3 miles per hour , or whatever?
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:25 AM   #81
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
It's all about the EU. They don't want anyone going faster than 155 MPH.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:35 AM   #82
00_camaro

Drives: 2000 3.8 liter V6
the only reason i'm considering the V6 as an option is the lower price and insurance purposes (not to mention better gas mileage since gas prices are ridic!)... but as i read more about the v6 the more interested i got in checking it out, but i'm not making any solid decisions until i see the car in front of me and i get to take them both out for a spin...

00' - CAMARO 3.8 V6

00_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #83
DntWrryBeHappy21
Patiently Waiting...

Drives: whatevers in the driveway atm
Send a message via AIM to DntWrryBeHappy21
while it would be fun to have the v8 I think once i get mine im going to stick with the v6 because hopefully ill still be under 25 when i buy it which means insurance will be more regardless so i want to keep it as low as possible and also i dont plan on racing it so i wont really NEED 422horsepower. 300hp is sufficient as long as i have my sound and ambient lighting packages :P

One day....
DntWrryBeHappy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:48 PM   #84
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
DntWrryBeHappy21,

Your sig looks sick! Any chance you can post a larger version in the p-shop thread?