Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #141
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
did you see the results of the ZL1 air filter??? 3% imrpovement over stock... and sucked when compared to aftermarket filters.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...90&postcount=1

are the ribs on the inside of the tube??? I'd think the inside is smooth and the ribs are purposely put on outside for structure. or are you guys talking about the boot in between??
The ribs are for her pleasure
Old 05-08-2014, 06:48 PM   #142
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_SS View Post
I get what you're saying..
But I don't understand why I can't put a 350 in my old 89 S10 4x4...
All these laws in CA suck.
Yep cali smog laws bite.

Basic rule is motor for car must be from same year or newer in same model. i.e camaro to camaro not a truck to camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
Yeah. The one thing I know I can afford and it's restricted.
Hopefully there are fellow c5 members that can do us the favor and get us the parts if not I am hoping to have one in the next year so I can get the parts I want off it. Really sucks I have to buy one, exchange parts then use it as a trade in on another vehicle. Gm should just let us get all the parts. Either way least I will get the parts I want and hopefully help out fellow c5 members when I have it also.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #143
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by macwest View Post
Yep cali smog laws bite.

Basic rule is motor for car must be from same year or newer in same model. i.e camaro to camaro not a truck to camaro

Hopefully there are fellow c5 members that can do us the favor and get us the parts if not I am hoping to have one in the next year so I can get the parts I want off it. Really sucks I have to buy one, exchange parts then use it as a trade in on another vehicle. Gm should just let us get all the parts. Either way least I will get the parts I want and hopefully help out fellow c5 members when I have it also.
Why in the world would you want to buy a z/28 just for parts? And why in the world would anyone want to buy a used z/28 that's missing the z/28 parts?
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #144
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Yep cali smog laws bite.

HUH?
Old 05-08-2014, 07:52 PM   #145
macwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obzen View Post
Why in the world would you want to buy a z/28 just for parts? And why in the world would anyone want to buy a used z/28 that's missing the z/28 parts?
The sum of all the parts would be less expensive then buying them individually. I expect to be able to find one used over the next 1.5 years. On parts I want the trans, rear end, seats and body parts for 2010. Since GM restricted the body parts this way I get them. Since I have a vin# be glad to help anyone else out that needs restricted parts. Afterwards trade the car in for a dodge.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:22 PM   #146
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
Quote:
The sum of all the parts would be less expensive then buying them individually. I expect to be able to find one used over the next 1.5 years. On parts I want the trans, rear end, seats and body parts for 2010. Since GM restricted the body parts this way I get them. Since I have a vin# be glad to help anyone else out that needs restricted parts. Afterwards trade the car in for a dodge.
How about you just buy a Z/28 and enjoy it? Why put the good stuff on a old car? You're really not making any sense at all...
TxBandit911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #147
Obsessive Camaro Disorder

Drives: 69 Camaro and 92 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd24 View Post
Restricted parts include the "flow-tie"...
Wasn't the flow tie originally made by the engineer cutting out the center of the bow tie with a dremel tool? If thats all it takes to have a flow tie, who'd actually pay for one?
If it's done cheap and fast, it isn't going to be good.
Obsessive Camaro Disorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #148
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessive Camaro Disorder View Post
Wasn't the flow tie originally made by the engineer cutting out the center of the bow tie with a dremel tool? If thats all it takes to have a flow tie, who'd actually pay for one?
Cause you don't get it.

GM did not give a shit about the Camaro for most of the years it was produced. It was made simply to have a product to offer Mustang buyers.

There were a few years however that the Camaro Crew at GM took over.

1967-69 Z28 project. Make a world beater. Success!

1998-1999 + 2002 was another. Composite doors, Corvette engines, T-56 trans, 1LE option, aluminum driveshaft, etc. No stock Camaro prior to 1998 was quicker in the quarter. Only modified versions of COPO's were. The 1998 Camaro was quicker than the "off-the-lot" 427 COPO.

2010-14 is arguably the most lethal Camaros in history. The Base V6 2010 Camaro puts down more HP to the tires than the 396's did. The wicked models (SS/1LE/Z28/ZL1/COPO) are undeniably faster, quicker, and better handling than all Camaros before.

The FlowTie just shows the love and determination of today's Camaro Crew to provide the meanest musclecars of all time. Yeah, you can copy the emblem...

But can you copy the love?
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:18 PM   #149
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Ok......
Old 05-08-2014, 09:48 PM   #150
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
Cause you don't get it.

GM did not give a shit about the Camaro for most of the years it was produced. It was made simply to have a product to offer Mustang buyers.

There were a few years however that the Camaro Crew at GM took over.

1967-69 Z28 project. Make a world beater. Success!

1998-1999 + 2002 was another. Composite doors, Corvette engines, T-56 trans, 1LE option, aluminum driveshaft, etc. No stock Camaro prior to 1998 was quicker in the quarter. Only modified versions of COPO's were. The 1998 Camaro was quicker than the "off-the-lot" 427 COPO.

2010-14 is arguably the most lethal Camaros in history. The Base V6 2010 Camaro puts down more HP to the tires than the 396's did. The wicked models (SS/1LE/Z28/ZL1/COPO) are undeniably faster, quicker, and better handling than all Camaros before.

The FlowTie just shows the love and determination of today's Camaro Crew to provide the meanest musclecars of all time. Yeah, you can copy the emblem...

But can you copy the love?
I agree with most of this. I would like to ask, what about 00-01? You said 98-99 +2002, all of the LS1 years had pretty much the same drive train. Also, you state they have corvette engines and T56 transmissions. All of the 4th Gen fbodies had corvette engines and T56 transmissions, remember, the LT1 came from the corvette, heck even the TPI motors were first put in the vette. All of the 4th gens also have the composite doors and stuff you talk about. Good post, I just like to give credit where its due. I hate the '93-97 LT1s, I've owned two of them, but when they were new, holy shit, they were the baddest thing out there....
Old 05-08-2014, 09:52 PM   #151
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

I forgot to mention, the 4th gens have major flaws, like parts the engineers didnt seem to care about, like the garbage 7.5" rear end that can be easily broken with a stock engine and the LS1 cars also had a totally crap clutch system, thing didnt work well at all from day one.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #152
McRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBandit911 View Post
I agree with most of this. I would like to ask, what about 00-01? You said 98-99 +2002, all of the LS1 years had pretty much the same drive train. Also, you state they have corvette engines and T56 transmissions. All of the 4th Gen fbodies had corvette engines and T56 transmissions, remember, the LT1 came from the corvette, heck even the TPI motors were first put in the vette. All of the 4th gens also have the composite doors and stuff you talk about. Good post, I just like to give credit where its due. I hate the '93-97 LT1s, I've owned two of them, but when they were new, holy shit, they were the baddest thing out there....
IIRC, the Love stopped in 2000. The 1LE option was eliminated? I owned a Max Effort 2000 SS with all the Y2Y goodies. 1LE was off the table, and they were thinking about dumping the Camaro.

2001 accidently got the Z06 window block at about 1/2 way through production. Why? They had already discontinued the LS1 block.

2002, GM allowed SLP to install the full 1LE suspension again. Very limited sales. It also had the Z06/LS6 block. And a few Y2Y options to boot.

So in early 2002, I ordered a 1LE SS with performance exhaust, hardtop, Hurst, etc. The max effort race package. Put $10,000 down on it.

Mysteriously it vanished between Detroit and California. No explanation. Somebody apparently wanted it who was closer to GM. It WAS built. It was perhaps the last, best 4th gen ordered.

So they gave us a 2002 Z06 at $2000 under MSRP when they were selling for $10k over list. It had the plastic on the seats and 2 miles. Shit you not. I did the prep. They never touched it. It went on to be one of the first manual transmission American cars to run into the 11's bone stock.

With my WIFE driving it.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:02 PM   #153
macwest

Quote:
How about you just buy a Z/28 and enjoy it? Why put the good stuff on a old car? You're really not making any sense at all...

If I had to change to a new one it would be a ZL1 wont ever forget when GM introduced it and the commercial "Volcano" in the background. The red ZL1 was awsome.

However I have already upgraded mine. I like my supercharged LS3 and just had car completely repainted so CGM would match. The new one looks good but I like the way my body looks more, I just want fender flares for it and don't like being told because I am not in the exclusive club with my SS I can not buy them. Which, to me, is more of a reason then any to do what I am doing. I don't expect everyone to get it.

GM made the rules on restriction Not me so, by the rules I must have a z28 to get the parts I want. If I buy one I might as well help out fellow enthusiast so I will stock up on exclusive parts and put out kits for all people that can not buy them to get them. Then I will upgrade my brakes, transmission and rear axle at same time, this saves money since i was planning this for my SS anyways. Since i have the extra parts from my car I will transfer them to the z28. Not needing the car in the end I will use it to trade in on the challenger I want.

This makes allot of sense because I get both cars the way I want them. In buying the z28 used I will make back most of my cash. What I may lose should be made up by re-selling the restricted parts. In the end SS will decimate most cars, be a great show car and the challenger will be fast but also be a good commute car because of warranty wont have to think about.

Last edited by macwest; 05-08-2014 at 10:24 PM.
macwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:03 PM   #154
McRat

Quote:
I forgot to mention, the 4th gens have major flaws, like parts the engineers didnt seem to care about, like the garbage 7.5" rear end that can be easily broken with a stock engine and the LS1 cars also had a totally crap clutch system, thing didnt work well at all from day one.
We had OVER 2000 quarter mile passes on our 2000. And a lot of AutoX's. Manual. 342rwhp "stock". Never broke a rear axle or gears.

Yes, the clutch stuck to the floor from 1998-2000. 2001 got the Z06 clutch.