Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
jake2212

Drives: none (yet)
axle back vs cat back?

i just want to know how much of a difference a catback will make as opposed to an axleback (other than price)
jake2212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
jake2212

Drives: none (yet)
by the way the exhaust in question is the borla ATAK
jake2212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
A long as you're getting rid of the big ugly and heavy stock mufflers, there's really not much of an advantage.
The mains reasons to get an axle back or catback is
1. better sound
2. better looks
3. weight savings
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #4
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Manual or auto, with auto if you go full catback you lose the resonator and it will magnify the AFM noise more than just losing the mufflers. That being said you would either tune or Range afm delete. I have the Atak axle back and accel is awesome idle is ok but not as loud as I would like, but without headers and a rough idle blower cam I just ain't gonna be happy...

Price no issue I would get the cat back, just in case you go headers later you won't have this orphaned piece of factory exhaust between the two. Otherwise you are limited kinda to the LG headers without mufflers as they give you the full exhaust not just the headers.

This is where I'm at anyways.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #5
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrichards73 View Post
Manual or auto, with auto if you go full catback you lose the resonator and it will magnify the AFM noise more than just losing the mufflers. That being said you would either tune or Range afm delete. I have the Atak axle back and accel is awesome idle is ok but not as loud as I would like, but without headers and a rough idle blower cam I just ain't gonna be happy...

Price no issue I would get the cat back, just in case you go headers later you won't have this orphaned piece of factory exhaust between the two. Otherwise you are limited kinda to the LG headers without mufflers as they give you the full exhaust not just the headers.

This is where I'm at anyways.
Solid answer.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote