Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-30-2016, 03:03 PM   #71
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
How about when you are participating in a fun run and after 2 runs, your SC is heat soaked... The Z/28 won't suffer this and is just as comfortable as you make it.

Some of you are making the Z/28 out to be a caged sheet metal on wheels with no creature comforts... IMHO, OP should go with what will yield the best resale value since they are only a $1,000 difference in cost. But as Justice stated...

Performance wise, Matt recently installed a custom 3 gallon ice tank in the trunk that is dedicated for the supercharger. To increase the flow, he added a Meziere WPS136 pump. Still kept the stock pump and the D3 reservoir, so it should have plenty of cooling now! This is on top of the E85 flex fuel conversion last year!

Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:16 PM   #72
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Performance wise, Matt recently installed a custom 3 gallon ice tank in the trunk that is dedicated for the supercharger. To increase the flow, he added a Meziere WPS136 pump. Still kept the stock pump and the D3 reservoir, so it should have plenty of cooling now! This is on top of the E85 flex fuel conversion last year!

I'm curious how this works out? Does the ice last very long?
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:35 PM   #73
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Drives: a car with 8 cylinders
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal45 View Post
Mines a daily driver with mods and I have never experienced heat soak.
Nothing wrong with the Z28 - its a great track focused car but the ZL1 is a much better every day car (for me).

Not everyone is fortunate to know when their vehicles are acting different. Some people are more sensitive to the sounds and feeling, where as others will need hard data to show a vehicle is not running right. If you don't believe that these cars get heat soaked easily, look up all the heat soak threads and read up. After a few hard runs in the hot summer sun, my SC sounds louder, the car feels a tad sluggish, and my pulls start to feel less aggressive.

Quote:
We're assuming, these vehicles the OP is debating about are stock.

If we throw in what the OP 'could do' to each car, the options would be limitless either way he chooses.

flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:02 PM   #74
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Not everyone is fortunate to know when their vehicles are acting different. Some people are more sensitive to the sounds and feeling, where as others will need hard data to show a vehicle is not running right. If you don't believe that these cars get heat soaked easily, look up all the heat soak threads and read up. After a few hard runs in the hot summer sun, my SC sounds louder, the car feels a tad sluggish, and my pulls start to feel less aggressive........
I'm not saying it is not an issue on the track - but hasn't been an issue for me DD'ing my car for over a year with current mods. Who knows, maybe I'm just not beating my car enough doing hard run after hard run on the streets....but I have never felt my car to be sluggish and have always had the pull when I need it for passing or entering a highway or other.

cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:17 PM   #75
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Drives: a car with 8 cylinders
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal45 View Post
I'm not saying it is not an issue on the track - but hasn't been an issue for me DD'ing my car for over a year with current mods. Who knows, maybe I'm just not beating my car enough doing hard run after hard run on the streets....but I have never felt my car to be sluggish and have always had the pull when I need it for passing or entering a highway or other.

I wasn't talking track. I've had a few good runs on the notorious Mexico Freeway and felt the heat soak set in. Don't get me wrong, DD'ing and small get-ups will not effect you much, but if you are putting in 3 to 4 hard runs back-to-back, you'll feel it. Especially if the outside temp if above 90 degrees.

flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:08 PM   #76
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Quote:
I wasn't talking track. I've had a few good runs on the notorious Mexico Freeway and felt the heat soak set in. Don't get me wrong, DD'ing and small get-ups will not effect you much, but if you are putting in 3 to 4 hard runs back-to-back, you'll feel it. Especially if the outside temp if above 90 degrees.
That must be it, never have done 3 - 4 hard runs back to back......but occasionally have done 2 on those same Mexico Freeways and felt no performance loss......and we are always over 90 here in FL. Heat soak is an issue depending on how you use the car. There are solutions on the aftermarket to resolve that issue if one feels they need to.

cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:18 PM   #77
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
I still would like to know the prices of the two Zs he's looking at, because as stated before, the ZL1 should be 10k+ Cheaper. At least around me, Z28s are 56k+ at dealerships and ZL1s are around 40-43k for a '13 Coupe. Since dealerships basically NEVER are willing to take a loss on a car, I bet the OP would be getting ripped off if he bought the ZL1, but that's just a rough guess.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:23 PM   #78
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
We're assuming, these vehicles the OP is debating about are stock.

If we throw in what the OP 'could do' to each car, the options would be limitless either way he chooses.

My comment wasn't for the OP, it was for/to any ZL1 owner having Heat Soak issues. It's just one of many possible solutions.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:27 PM   #79
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
I had to ration my WOT runs on the street. Too many and the car wouldn't respond. I had about 2 roll WOT hits. After that it was dead mode.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:38 PM   #80
nvydvr

Drives: 2015 Red Rock ZL1
So, I got tired of reading some of these novels that were written... Did the OP buy one of the cars or not?...
nvydvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:48 PM   #81
Trickskier
Native Floridian

Drives: 2014 - ZL1 / 2003 - Corvette
Quote:

That's impressive! Looks a lot like a Flux Capacitor!!!
Old 08-30-2016, 07:56 PM   #82
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvydvr View Post
So, I got tired of reading some of these novels that were written... Did the OP buy one of the cars or not?...

JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:23 PM   #83
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Does anyone with ZL1 spray meth/mix into the intake to get a cooler intake charge? I wouldn't tune for meth injection, but leverage it to minimize heat soak. IAT's should be much reduced...

Maybe that's an import thing ...
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:19 PM   #84
Mpsmith1

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvydvr View Post

Me too. Well since OP hasn't participated in the thread in the last 9 days, I am beginning to doubt the cars are real. As several people have commented, it doesn't make sense that a 13 ZL1 with 5k miles and a 15 Z28 with 500 miles are $1,000 apart in price. That's weird.

Pics or it didn't happen, as they say.... ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mpsmith1 is offline   Reply With Quote