Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 10-15-2022, 09:52 AM   #1
Teddydogno1

Drives: Toyota RAV4 Hybrid; Camaro 2LT RS
Just bought a 2002 SS "35th Anniversary"

Today I bought a 2002 SS "35th Anniversary" car with just under 35,000 original miles! It is still at the dealer getting its final inspections and detail as they only took it in a few days ago and had not even finished prepping it for sale. I was the first person to see it and drive it before they had full info even on their site.

I must confess that I don't know enough about 4th Gens and I'm doing things backwards, as usual, by learning more AFTER making the purchase decision. For example, I didn't know that all of the true 35th Anniversary Edition cars were RED. This car (MY car, I should say) has 35th badging all over it and seems to have the special features of the 35th, including the exhaust and intake. And "345 HP" stickers on the hood (this is key, I think).

With my post-purchase research, I THINK what I'm finding is that it was possible to order a car in 2002 that was not one of THE A.E. cars and have the enhancements installed. Does that sound right and look like what I have here? I'll post more of my quick pics from the dealer, but more will have to wait until I bring it home (hopefully tomorrow Sat 10/15).

What more info do I need to provide to help ID this car? It is an automatic (bummer) and non-T-Top (mixed feelings on that). It is very clean and from what I could see it is drip free and rust free. Several previous owners, staring in TN, then AL and then WA where I am. It is wearing a matched set of Nitto NT555 tires with good tread life.

So...what have I got here, and how do I go about learning more about it?

About me and what I was looking for: In August last year, I bought a brand-new '21 Camaro LT1 and only put 2,200 miles on it in 11 months. I was driving it so little that it didn't make sense to me to have it just sitting, costing a bunch of money and depreciating. I sold it to a dealer for almost exactly what I paid for it in August of '22. But I missed it and wanted another less expensive V8 car. So I had been looking at Mustangs, Challengers, Corvettes and Camaros when this came up last night. I have previously owned a 1982 Camaro Berlinetta V6 (high school through college), a 1996 Corvette CE LT4, a 2010 Camaro 2LT V6 and the previously mentioned 2021 LT1. But never a 4th Gen Camaro. My current "stable" holds a 2002 Ford F150 4x4, a 2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid and a 2022 MINI Cooper SE (full electric).

Thanks.

Rob
Teddydogno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 10:38 PM   #2
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
chevy pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 08:01 AM   #3
sswt00ss
Visualize°Design°Create

Drives: '18 CTS-V & '13 ZL1
Get a photo of the RPO Code and SLP Stickers on the Driver's Side Door jamb. That will help you see how the car was optioned when it was ordered.

Edit: One source states your car is 1 of 297 (8.4%) being a 2002 SS w/ an automatic in Navy Blue Metallic (Paint Code 28U).

Look for the RPO Code of WU8 on the RPO Code Sticker to confirm it's a real SS.

Overall final number might possibly be lower given it's a slick top (non T-top car).

Last edited by sswt00ss; 10-16-2022 at 08:18 AM.
sswt00ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 09:26 AM   #4
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Check to see first if it was a B4C car. Normal SS Camaros from the 4th gen period had black tops, regardless of T-Top options (I am an original owner and I ordered my 4th gen).

What is more likely is that the previous owner had the top painted the same body color. You have to realize that it is a bit over 20 years old, and anything could've been done to the car.

Good luck.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote