Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-16-2018, 10:33 AM   #1
saturno_v

Drives: Sport sedan
ZL1 or CTS-V: need info on daily driver use, tires, resale value, etc...

Hello there my name is Dominic.

I narrowed down my next purchase to either a Camaro ZL1 or a Cadillac CTS-V (I adore the LT4).
I tested them both extensively.

I need some info on the ZL1 from owners.

Initially I was oriented towards the Cadillac because of daily use, I even made an offer for one optioned the way I want (Recaros are a must) to quite few dealers (for about 15% off MSRP, my absolute budget limit).
15% discount is not unheard of for Cadillac and I know of quite few people that were able to get similar discounts on a CTS-V but so far my efforts did not get me a deal, dealers do not budge even on 2018s, let alone 2019s.

Frankly I do like the look of the ZL1 better, to me it looks like a coupe version of the CTS-V.
Some forum members at the CTS-V owners forum advised me of not getting the Camaro because I would miss the refinement of the CTS-V.
Frankly I did find the ZL1 as comfortable up front (suspension and seats) maybe just a touch louder (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

We are empty nesters so no kids in the rear seats. The trunk in the Camaro has terrible access but is not that small actually.
Our other car is a Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT.

In my opinion, it seems to me that for about 25K more in the CTS-V all you get is a better finished interior, front parking sensors, a self parking system, a front curb camera and a Cadillac badge...the stereo system is better as well but not that much better than the ZL1 in my observation.
As we all know both cars share the same chassis, I did look at the videos of both cars underside and they look basically identical to me even in terms of assembly refinement.
Ironically the Recaros on the Camaro are heated and cooled where in the Caddy they are only heated....weird!!!

You do not even get the advantage of AWD in the CTS-V which can be useful where I live...I was surprised than you cannot get Active Cruise Control in the Cadillac....I find that quite surprising on a 6 figures luxury sedan...you can get it on the standard CTS but not on the CTS-V....

Is the paint job better in the Caddy??

I did find the AT10 in the ZL1 far superior to the AT8 in the CTS-V (quite faster and smoother) and, obviously, the ZL1 is even more fun to drive (but the CTS-V is no slouch by any means).

The car would be my daily driver....so what is your opinion?? Would I miss at some point the more practicality and refinement of the CTS-V?? I told my wife, we can get the Camaro and a used manual Subaru Outback in excellent condition as a third practical car in case of the occasional snowy day (I live in Seattle) for less money than getting the CTS-V and it would cost the same to insure these two vs. the CTS-V (I did check with my insurance agent).

I did find a very nice Chevy salesman willing to work with me and, by the way, I saw quite few new ZL1 discounted by 15% or more on Autotrader...in my area it seems to be easier to get heavier discounts on a Camaro ZL1 than a CTS-V....

On the resale value part of the equation is seems to me that the Camaro hold a significant edge over the CTS-V, I suspect the ZL1 would hold its value better in the long run and it would be easier to resell.

Finally, I cannot find decent All Season tires for the ZL1 (or for the CTS-V) online.....living in Seattle should I even bother to replace them for winter use??

So what is your take on my dilemma?? I do not have the need to replace the car right now, my current ride is perfect and I'm not leasing.

Should I pull the trigger on the Camaro or wait for end of the year or even early next year where Cadillac dealers may be willing to negotiate more?? There is really that big of a gap in terms of refinement?? Again, frankly I did not find that much (other than more leather surfaces, the Alcantara roof and pillars and a touch better plastics) in the few miles I drove both cars but maybe I'm missing something.

Thank you!!

Last edited by saturno_v; 11-16-2018 at 10:56 AM.
saturno_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:51 AM   #2
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
If the CTS-V has the A8, I'd avoid it and get the ZL1 with the A10. The A8 has problems with the torque converter that GM still hasn't addressed. It may have more creature comforts, but there's a reason you can buy one for 15% off.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
saturno_v

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
It may have more creature comforts, but there's a reason you can buy one for 15% off.

The fact is that I can't get it for 15% off...right now is easier to get 15% off on a ZL1 (non 1LE) than on a CTS-V in my neck of the wood.....
Old 11-16-2018, 11:02 AM   #4
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Glossy black center console on Cadillac is hideous.

CTS - huuuge back seat compared to camaro.

Current design looks old, it didn't age well.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:46 PM   #5
dchesrown

Drives: ZL1-1LE
I owned a CTS-V prior to my ZL1-1LE. CTS-V is a better daily driver hands down. I also had the chance to live with a regular ZL1 for a week prior to the 1LE purchase and felt it was softer with the mag ride but not in the same league as the V. For a daily go with the V. Now if you want to track it, the choice is easy ZL1 all day every day. If you are concerned about resale the lease deals on the CTS-V are excellent. If you want to own it buy it out at the end of a 36-month lease. If it's not worth it pay our disposition fee and walk away. Cadillac has a longer bumper to bumper warranty as well.
I have tracked both cars. The CTS-V was fun but the ZL1 is a full 10 seconds a lap quicker @ Mid-Ohio.
I daily drove the V but leave the 1LE on a lift and only use it sparingly. The ride is harsh compared to the V.
Hope this helps.
dchesrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:07 PM   #6
stkshft

Drives: anything with wheels
Just curious...why is the Z06 not being considered? I think between all 3, the ZL1 is the sweet spot. Not as extreme as the Vette and not as luxurious as the Caddy. I'm actually considering upgrading to the Vette myself. At 150 lbs wet, the fit is like a glove for me.
stkshft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:31 PM   #7
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
What cars have you driven previously? What would you say your style of driving is? How long do you plan on keeping it?

Well, you gave a lot of variables, I would say it boils down to how much of a sport car or luxury car do you want?
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:39 PM   #8
JacobC1983

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Stay away from anything with GM’s A8 transmission.

/thread
JacobC1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:47 PM   #9
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Op I have both an 18 Zl1 and a ctsv3 also a z06. The cts v to me is boring but for a daily driver is amazing. I'm in Houston and huge in the racing scene (Mexico) this is why the V3 is the underdog bc it's the heaviest and the slowest. It however gives the best ride and turns a few years as well. Performance wise Zl1 kills it all the way around. It of beats it in ride comfort and back seat/trunk room. V3 is crazy expensive and overpriced imho but that is subjective. My Zl1 is a Manual bc I like fun and find any automatic transmission boring so the A10 was not an option or even anything to think about for me
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #10
saturno_v

My ZL1 would be the AT10...
A question to the owners....does anybody daily drive it?? It does get unbearable after few weeks??
The Corvette is way too uncomfortable for me...amazing car but just too little practicality and too little interior space, I see the Camaro as the GT car of the three of them....

Leasing vs. Owning?? It depends, I never leased a car.

Am I right that the ZL1 would hold its value much better??
Old 11-16-2018, 04:36 PM   #11
saturno_v

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
Op I have both an 18 Zl1 and a ctsv3 also a z06. The cts v to me is boring but for a daily driver is amazing. I'm in Houston and huge in the racing scene (Mexico) this is why the V3 is the underdog bc it's the heaviest and the slowest. It however gives the best ride and turns a few years as well. Performance wise Zl1 kills it all the way around. It of beats it in ride comfort and back seat/trunk room. V3 is crazy expensive and overpriced imho but that is subjective. My Zl1 is a Manual bc I like fun and find any automatic transmission boring so the A10 was not an option or even anything to think about for me

I'm jealous of your car stable and your winter weather!! LOL
Old 11-16-2018, 05:26 PM   #12
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I'm jealous of your car stable and your winter weather!! LOL
Thanks man I love our weather here year around warmth etc. My ex bf lives in Lynwood so I'm up that way once or twice a year and between the traffic and cold weather and lack of straightaways I couldn't do it lol. If I were you I'd spring for the Zl1 and call it good. In my previous post I meant to say the V3 turns heads but the damn auto correct makes me type illeterate.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:33 PM   #13
joe944

Drives: 18' A10 ZL1 , 18' F150, 04' MSM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
My ZL1 would be the AT10...
A question to the owners....does anybody daily drive it?? It does get unbearable after few weeks??
The Corvette is way too uncomfortable for me...amazing car but just too little practicality and too little interior space, I see the Camaro as the GT car of the three of them....

Leasing vs. Owning?? It depends, I never leased a car.

Am I right that the ZL1 would hold its value much better??
I daily my A10 ZL1. No problems for me, but I also used to daily a turbo miata so I'm probably just crazy.
joe944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:50 AM   #14
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I daily mine, minus the rainy days as I live on 2 miles of dirt roads, and it's not that bad. I commute about 45 miles, one way, each day.

The seats are great, in my opinion, and the suspension isn't that bad. Even on the dirt roads. Only thing I wish that was different, were that the seats would fully recline. Though I know you can mod it and now the 2019 models do fully recline, I believe.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote