Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-23-2014, 09:46 AM   #15
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
The combo of Roto-Fab CAI, Big Gulp and ported TB made my car run lean on the stock tune.

See post #24
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314663

The effects of running that lean concerned me enough that I ended up getting the car tuned.

The Roto-Fab may be advertised as a no tune needed CAI, but I've seen enough variability in AFR to recommend getting your car dyno'd and the AFR checked if you decide to install one.

Last edited by hawk02; 01-23-2014 at 09:25 PM.
hawk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:15 PM   #16
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
How many pulls did you/they make with a 12.6 AFR?? Numbers are low especially considering it's shown in STD.

I would get it tuned, stat. May be something wrong with the car also but finding a good tuner would be the first place to start.
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:06 PM   #17
Frost

Drives: GM anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly@PCMofNC View Post
How many pulls did you/they make with a 12.6 AFR?? Numbers are low especially considering it's shown in STD.

I would get it tuned, stat. May be something wrong with the car also but finding a good tuner would be the first place to start.

This!!!! (Hey Kelly, BTW!)

Down around 4K that thing is at 13:1 and maybe just a tad north of that.

OP- KEEP YOUR FOOT OUT OF IT until you get it tuned. NO MORE WOT; seriously.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #18
jlrv

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Victory Red
Now I'm afraid to even turn it on. Seriously thanks for everyones input. Guess a tune is in the near future.
jlrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:28 PM   #19
Frost

You won't hurt it driving it around out of boost. Just get it tuned before you lean on it again.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:00 AM   #20
OPP

Drives: 2018 MBM ZL1 Auto
Tune it, or else:

Attached Images

Old 01-24-2014, 08:18 AM   #21
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrv View Post
Dynoed today. Numbers seem low for what has been posted here. Mods are Roto-Fab CAI, Big Gulp, mild to wild, RX catch can. 2013 A-6, stock tune. What do you guys think.
Looking at the Dyno Graph AFR, I don't believe the AFR Reading is Accurate.

First it starts at 19:1 then goes Flat at 12.6 or so, I very Much suspect a Bad O2 sensor.

I have dyno tested Many Stock ZL-1 and they all go Richer as RPM increases due to Cat Overtemp Protection Fueling typically finishing at 9.8:1 AFR

The Rotofab typically Slightly Richens the Car about 2% across the Full RPM Scale.

Unless you have a Major Leak between the MAF and the Throttle body I suspect this dyno Graph is Bogus.

I also have Quesitons about What and how the car was Dyno tested.

Was the Traction Control and Stabil Trac disabled by holding the Traction control button down for 8 seconds before the pull?

What Gear was the Dyno Test Performed?

Should have been in Paddle mode 4th Gear.

Tire Temps are also a concern, these Tires are Very slippery when cold and require a few pulls to heat them up enough for adequate traction.

Traction on the dyno can make a huge difference in Readings.

Hope this info Helps.

Ted.
Attached Images

Last edited by JANNETTYRACING; 01-27-2014 at 09:00 AM.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #22
ayousef

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbzl1 View Post
My car is a 2013 a-6 with roto-fab cai. My results are very similar to your's but i am running way rich!
You're tune is off as well, AFR should be between 10.8 to about 11.7 if you want to be safe, anything on either side of the scale is not right and has the potential of being dangerous.

in your care your AFR's are too rich.

1150bhp Whipple 4.0 Supercharged 427ci Camaro ZL1
ayousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:54 PM   #23
ayousef

Drives: 2013 ZL1
OP I don't think there is anything wrong with your car, you can drive the car without flooring it or intentionally getting into boost. The fact that youre car is lean would possibly make the engine knock, and the more the engine knocks the more it will shift to the low octane table and youre horsepower numbers will start dropping. Get a PROPER tune from a reputable tuner (not some BS tuner), not only will your car be safe, it will be a lot quicker, shift nicer and so on

1150bhp Whipple 4.0 Supercharged 427ci Camaro ZL1
ayousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:39 PM   #24
Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Looking at the Dyno Graph AFR, I don't believe the AFR Reading is Accurate.

First it starts at 19:1 then goes Flat at 12.6 or so, I very Much suspect a Bad O2 sensor.

Hope this info Helps.

Ted.

Actually that's what it looks like when someone shallowly tailpipes the wideband sensor on the dyno. At light throttle, it's completely polluted from outside air. At WOT, the positive pressure in the pipe evacuates all of that and you see mixture with some transport delay. I tune with my own gear up front but often run the tail pipe unit just because it's there on the dyno. You can see how it can be polluted like this as well... every tiny opening along the way is subject to the venturi effect when there is a high volume of exhaust gas moving at a high rate through the piping. You get an artificially lean reading in these cases (to varying degrees obviously) from the tailpipe unit, even at WOT where it appears to work somewhat correctly.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:56 PM   #25
ss/rs/378

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Camaro Victory Red
Hell with all the different opinion on here makes me not even want to put a CAI on my stocker thought it wouldn't be a big deal tell you got into pulley changes!
2.55 UPPER PULLEY,100MM IDLER PULLEY,160 STAT,PORTED TB,PORTED SNOUT,MSD PLUG WIRES,NKG PLUGS,KENNE BELL EXTERNAL FUEL PUMP,2"KOOKS HEADERS,HIGH FLOW CATS,3"CORSA 60LB DEKA INJECTORS TUNED BY FROST 580RWHP,571RWTQ.
ss/rs/378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:01 PM   #26
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly@PCMofNC View Post

Honestly if you think something's wrong with the car the last thing you want to do is tune...then try to figure it out.

If you think something is wrong, go get it checked out under warranty. Then when you're sure the car is running right, then tune
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote