Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 07-12-2015, 01:39 PM   #1
FJ60

Drives: '13 2SS RS 1LE ; '85 Landcruiser
Clean Camaro vs California Drought

I'm trying my best to conserve water (i.e. dead lawn, yellow let it mellow brown flush it down rule, quicker showers, etc), however, I'm afraid I look like a self-absorbed d-bag whenever I wash my cars. I don't do it often, but I don't want my neighbors to get the wrong impression of me. I'm considering a waterless product but I can't wrap my brain around how it does NOT scratch the paint. I've researched the "chemical" reasons why the paint won't be damaged, but if detailers recommend a two-bucket system to wash a car because of dirt trapped on your mitt, how can a waterless method safely clean? Opinions?
FJ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:58 PM   #2
Desert Dweller

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #334
You could go to one of those do it yourself car wash bays with the spray nozzle.
That way you're paying for the water and your neighbors don't see you.

None of the last 3 camaros I've owned have ever seen water, soap or rain under my care. I use a Cali-Duster, detailing spray and micro fiber towels.

But then again , none of them were/are daily drivers.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:06 PM   #3
ChevyCamaroGirl

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS RS BLACK
I use the 2 bucket on my black Camaro. If it's very dirty I pressure wash and foam gun it every few months. I live on a ranch so my car gets dusty immediately. But I have managed to keep it clean and I show it almost every weekend. I had a 20 hour detail to remove the swirls I caused before I learned the proper wash methods. Car must be cool out of sun. Blow as much dust off with air first, one bucket has clean water, one has rinseless wash solution. Never put pressure with the mit, drag it across the car, put a dry towel on clean part and pat dry. It's a great method of cleaning your car.
ChevyCamaroGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:20 PM   #4
760bowtie

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, 2018 Silverado CC
I've used Optimum No Rinse and Surf City Garage Rinse-Free Wash and Wax on my car for the past year. Out of the 2, I like the Surf City Garage product better and you only use 4 gallons of water. I do this only if the car gets really dirty. The other times I usually use a Cali-Duster and Adam's detailing spray about once a week. Like Desert Dweller, this is not my DD.
Old 07-12-2015, 04:50 PM   #5
rleon

Drives: 2015 1LE SUMMIT WHT 1SS NPP RECARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dweller View Post
You could go to one of those do it yourself car wash bays with the spray nozzle.
That way you're paying for the water and your neighbors don't see you.

None of the last 3 camaros I've owned have ever seen water, soap or rain under my care. I use a Cali-Duster, detailing spray and micro fiber towels.

But then again , none of them were/are daily drivers.
That my cleaning method exactly to a tee! Although I just washed it this weekend for the 1st time in 4 months.
rleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:57 PM   #6
HAMBO

Drives: Supercharged 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
I use waterless wash with cal duster (like the Junkman) when it's a bit dusty, and do a Garry Dean style rinseless wash if there's a bit of a film that's built up. If it's dirtier than that I head over to the coin-op place to foam / pressure wash, which uses recycled water anyway so doesn't have as big an impact.

That said I'm in an apartment so it's not like I could wash with a hose anyways (and I'm pretty sure you can get a fine for it here), but if you wanted to save water could try any of those.
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
1967 Bolero Red 396 SS/RS Convertible
HAMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:00 PM   #7
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
I wash my car every three months. Always garaged (home and work) so it does not get too dirty.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:34 PM   #8
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
I wash mine once every week or two. Daily and garaged. Use a nozzle on the hose so you dont waste the water. If not dirty I use the duster and detail spray
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:32 PM   #9
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
I still wash mine whenever I get a chance. Watering my lawn front and back twice a day still keeps me way under my allowed limit so not much they can do about it, and I occasionally wash the car at work but usually not since it takes me a good 3 hours to do a full wash before detailing everything
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote