Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-04-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Talking Lobbying in DC

This week I spent a few days in DC meeting with members of Congress about issues that directly impact small and mid sized businesses with an online presence. Specifically the Marketplace Fairness Act, cross border trade, and mobile payment. It was a very interesting experience and I thought I would share some of it with you guys.

Tuesday evening we had dinner and the national headquarters of the Daughters of the American Revolution. The keynote speaker was Stuart Rothenberg, editor and publisher of The Rothenberg Political Report. He gave a very detailed presentation about the upcoming mid-term elections as well and the 2016 presidential election.

Wednesday morning I started the day with a breakfast meeting with Congressman Thomas Massie. Following that we had several other morning meetings with staff members of other representatives but did not bother taking pictures with any of them.

Just down the hall from his office I spotted this.

All of the buildings on Capitol Hill (and probably the entire city) are connected by a network of underground tunnels. They were very handy for avoiding the monsoon outside.

A few of the meeting rooms on the Senate side of the Capitol.

Not a shabby place.

Had a lunch time meeting with Senate Minority Leader Senator Mitch McConnell. Following that meeting there were several more meeting with staff. I got to meet with Senator Rand Paul but he had to bail to go vote on the senate floor so I didn't get a chance to take a picture with him.

And, of course, you have to get the iconic shot.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
im sure it was overwhelming to be in the den of thieves..
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #3
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
So did you make a giant campaign contribution to anyone to sway them to your side?

Looks like a great experience to have been able to participate in the process.

Very cool.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:37 PM   #4
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Wish I had known you were in town,
Myself and a few other C5ers would have loved to have met you in person and bought you a brew.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:55 PM   #5
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
My god we've got a celebrity amongst us.

That's all pretty cool to get to see so much of what goes on up there. I've been attempting to plan a family wide trip up there. But very difficult now that everyone has kids. Been there a couple of times, not deep in the belly of the beast like you, but it's been so long I'd like to grab an adult view of everything now.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:02 PM   #6
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
As long as he had his hand on his wallet and he wasn't wearing any rings or a nice watch, he was OK among them.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #7
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
So did you make a giant campaign contribution to anyone to sway them to your side?

Looks like a great experience to have been able to participate in the process.

Very cool.
According to ethics rules you are actually not allowed to bring that up to them during meetings. It was an amazing experience and I am very thankful the opportunity was given to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
Wish I had known you were in town,
Myself and a few other C5ers would have loved to have met you in person and bought you a brew.
I usually try to link up with the local Camaro community when I am traveling but this trip the schedule was packed wall-to-wall. There is a good chance I will be making more trips in the future so I will make sure to book a couple extra days in there. I did find The Dubliner Pub down the block from my hotel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
My god we've got a celebrity amongst us.

That's all pretty cool to get to see so much of what goes on up there. I've been attempting to plan a family wide trip up there. But very difficult now that everyone has kids. Been there a couple of times, not deep in the belly of the beast like you, but it's been so long I'd like to grab an adult view of everything now.
It was definitely a much closer look than the typical tourist gets but at the same time I did miss out on all the typical tourist stuff. Besides just driving by many of the sites I didn't get to see much except the inside of offices and conference rooms. That kind of sucked because it was my first time in DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
As long as he had his hand on his wallet and he wasn't wearing any rings or a nice watch, he was OK among them.
I left the valuables at home. You have to take all that stuff off every time you go through security.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:42 AM   #8
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
Very cool
Former '68 and '69 Z/28 Owner...........Now sporting around in a 2011 RS/SS with........Kooks LT's and cats, JRE tune, CAI, scoop, ZL1 Bumper conversion, custom ZL-1 grille, halo harness, Painted silver stripes, GM GFX, black painted lower edge of skirts and rear bumper. MGW shifter.....and now a 3.91 1LE diff
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #9
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I want to thank you for what you've done during that trip. It might have felt like meetings and conferences, but you made an important contribution to our republic. Lobbying Congress informs them of your needs as a business, but it also helps ensure that citizens have a say in government. That is the nature of the democratic society I have sworn to defend.

Before anyone gets into politics, bashes someone based on political perspective, or becomes offended, this is a general warning to be nice. We're all here for Camaros, not arguments over public policy.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:55 AM   #10
bwk1971
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Vert Supercharged
Quote:
I usually try to link up with the local Camaro community when I am traveling but this trip the schedule was packed wall-to-wall. There is a good chance I will be making more trips in the future so I will make sure to book a couple extra days in there. I did find The Dubliner Pub down the block from my hotel.
Keep us posted on your future trips...I am sure there are many of us who'd like to link up.
"STREET LEGAL" 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 Convertible -- 2.9l Whipple Supercharger, CDC SportBar, Cordon CR-1 and MRR M017 wheels, Hex Vents, RPI ZL1 Splitter, CAI, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers, high-flow cats, ZR1 3 bar map sensor, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.875" pulley, ADM FPCM, 1LE PCV Oil Separator Kit, Elite Catch Can, APEX scoop and washer bottle relocation kit, Hotchkis lowering springs, BMR sways, BMR toe rods, BMR trailing arms, 620 rwhp, 564 rwtq, and tuned by Andrew Zurick of Complete Street Performance by way of Maryland Speed.
bwk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote