Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-31-2011, 02:11 PM   #43
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Not trying to get in the middle of a war here and I don't even have the coilovers yet but personally I like how Mike did his using a grommet to cover the hole. That way the adjusting knobs are right there but are hidden under the carpet.

I think as long as the consumer knows there are different ways to do it then they can choose the which way the like. I'm sure there will be some that don't want to cut a 2" whole in the trunk. For me...I like the look if it being flush under the carpet.

It's nice to have choices.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:19 PM   #44
AutoAgenda

Drives: 69 Camaro, 02 Escalade, 67 Eleanor
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Not trying to get in the middle of a war here and I don't even have the coilovers yet but personally I like how Mike did his using a grommet to cover the hole. That way the adjusting knobs are right there but are hidden under the carpet.

I think as long as the consumer knows there are different ways to do it then they can choose the which way the like. I'm sure there will be some that don't want to cut a 2" whole in the trunk. For me...I like the look if it being flush under the carpet.

It's nice to have choices.
Absolutely, both options are completely flush and hidden under the carpet.
AutoAgenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:29 PM   #45
Whiteside Customs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 1lt/rs, 2010 2ss/rs, 2004 GTO
I agree, nice to have choices. However, I must point out when we installed the coilovers on our shop car with the extenders in place, there was not enough room and they hit under the trunk floor. This caused bowing in the trunk floor and the extenders to bind and not be usable. Our solution was to go and clearance the top with a 2" hole and grommet so the top no longer hit against the floor. In doing this we also found that there was no longer a need for the extenders.

While I am not normally an advocate for cutting on ones vehicle, exceptions can be made as long as the modification made does not in any way hurt structural rigidity of the vehicle. As there is absolutely no stress placed on this area we can give our approval for this process.

You will also notice that the 2012 Camaro has a noticeably larger hump in the floor in the same area we have chosen to drill our 2" hole. So it is entirely possible that the method with just drilling for the extenders may work on 2012+ Camaro's. We should be testing this very soon.

Last edited by Whiteside Customs; 08-31-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Whiteside Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 10:33 PM   #46
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have the 2 inch holes drilled in mine, and at 1st I wasn't to sure about it, but Mikes setup make adjusting everything a 40 sec affair. Takes longer to open the hood and trunk than it does to make the changes.

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:59 PM   #47
Whiteside Customs
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkscott View Post
I have the 2 inch holes drilled in mine, and at 1st I wasn't to sure about it, but Mikes setup make adjusting everything a 40 sec affair. Takes longer to open the hood and trunk than it does to make the changes.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:08 AM   #48
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Also, I'm sure that if you didn't drill the first time when you installed it, you can drill from the top if you are careful enough. Make sure you get the drill as short as possible relative to the hole saw.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #49
AutoAgenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkscott View Post
Having the adjustment knobs is amazing for that reason, no climbing under your car with a specific tool, just pop the trunk

Only minor disagreement is over the hole diameter. Some are hesitant to drill into their car, which is understandable. Looks like it works both ways!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
Also, I'm sure that if you didn't drill the first time when you installed it, you can drill from the top if you are careful enough. Make sure you get the drill as short as possible relative to the hole saw.
+1
Old 09-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #50
2010 L99

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 RJT/Black
I hope Heintz Racing takes a look at this thread. When they installed my BCRs a couple of months ago I asked them not to drill holes in my truck but to simply set the fronts and rears at 12 and 6 and I'll try that for awhile. I hope the top of the shock isn't hitting the trunk.

USAF Retired 1994
2010 L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #51
Whiteside Customs
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 L99 View Post
I hope Heintz Racing takes a look at this thread. When they installed my BCRs a couple of months ago I asked them not to drill holes in my truck but to simply set the fronts and rears at 12 and 6 and I'll try that for awhile. I hope the top of the shock isn't hitting the trunk.

You should be fine as long as the adjuster knobs and extenders are not in place.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #52
AutoAgenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 L99 View Post
We have never had any issues with or without the adjustment knobs. If you decided not to install the knobs then I am certain nothing is hitting. Heintz Racing is top notch they would know if there was a clearance issue.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #53
2010 L99

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 RJT/Black
Thanks guys!! They didn't say anything so I'm probably all good!!

USAF Retired 1994
2010 L99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:28 PM   #54
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteside Customs View Post
The BC racing coil overs adjust at the top of the strut in the rear. In orde to reach these a hole must be cut into the trunk. In this thread http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...cing+coilovers

we talk about it further.

In our opinion this is the fastest way to mak adjustments. Other companies have chosen other methods and while they work, make more work than has to be done.

All BC racing coil overs come with a set of extenders for the rear. We have found that they are not needed. We chose to use a 2" hole saw to open up the hole in the rear and using a 2" grommet the adjusters can easily be accessed by lifting up the carpet and no one would know you have them as they are hidden away.
Wish I saw this before I put up the other post I made today. So can you confirm if the bearings are needed? I saw a post where someone said they are and another showing something that says no.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #55
Whiteside Customs
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
Wish I saw this before I put up the other post I made today. So can you confirm if the bearings are needed? I saw a post where someone said they are and another showing something that says no.
Can you clarify when you say bearings?

If you want to be able to adjust the coilovers then an access hole is needed in the trunk. We found through testing that a small hole for just the extended did not work as it was hitting and binding under the trunk floor. The solution is to enlarge the hole with a 2" holesaw. In doing this we found there was no need for the extenders as the adjustment knob is easily accessed. All bcr coilovers ship with the extenders so it's really your choice to use them. But the 2" hole is crucial for proper install.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #56
Rogan
No Pain No Gain

Drives: Yellow 5th Gen 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
BC Racing has bearings? I have this very same kit and mine did not come with bearings.
Mike(Whitesidecustoms) this is what I was referring to. I don't want to install something then have to go back.