Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Old 06-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #1
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Thumbs down JDP Motorsports Review

It's unfortunate that I feel compelled to write this review, as I believe there was a simple resolution to the situation... I’ve already spoken with Tyler and amicably let him know that this review was forthcoming.

For the short version, read below. For the long version, scroll down and pick up there.

Short –
  • I’ve had to install/reinstall JDP’s RGB halos four times over the course of a year and a half
  • When the system has not functioned, I’ve had to send back the system only to have it refurbished
  • I have always abided by JDP company policy with regards to handling the situation and maintained abundant courtesy and respect with them every time we have spoken.
  • The fourth, and most recent time, I’ve had issues with the product, I’ve pointed out how I’ve always done things their way and requested that they make some concessions to alleviate my inconvenience
  • JDP, per company policy, has refused to:
    [-]Send me a new kit – only offering to refurbish the previous kit that has continually had issues and they have attempted to refurbish before
    [-]Pay for expedited shipping of the old kit either to them, or back to me, to limit the amount of time my car is in the shop and I am without a vehicle
    [-]Provide any sort of compensation to T&T Performance for the numerous hours that they have been spent installing/troubleshooting/uninstalling their defective product

As a customer - admittedly someone without business experience – the resolution would have been easy. Send out a new kit that is going to work and do something to lessen the blow to the shop completing the labor – sell them a few items at cost, maybe comp them a product or two to test out, etc. Unfortunately, the company policy, according to Tyler, is 100% inflexible and clearly not as customer-friendly as one would like.

Long -

I originally purchased the JDP color-changing halos fall of 2012. There were a lot of perks to the product - most notably that it was NOT Oracle/AAC merchandise, which as many of you know, is cheap crap. Given all of the problems I've had with AAC over the past few years, I was excited to have the option of working with another company.

I brought my car out to Tim at T&T Performance when the kit arrived. He had installed a few prior to mine, all of which went well. Unfortunately, when he installed my kit, the colors were off. He called up JDP, they overnighted another kit, Tim sent back the initial kit, and I had a cool new mod squared away in a day or two. All went well for a few months.

Fast forward to this summer, and my colors start to deteriorate again. One halo is faded compared to the other and it progresses over a few weeks until both halos are just a pale white. I take the car back out to Tim and he can't get them to work properly. He calls up JDP, they run him through numerous trouble-shooting steps, and eventually decide that it needs to be sent back in for repair.

The device gets sent back to JDP, they refurbish, send back out. Each step basically took a week - a few days shipping, a few days to make the proper fixes - a few days to send back out. Throughout this entire, multi-week process, I was without my car. Given that T&T is over an hour from my house, I wasn't going to drive out, drive back, drive out, drive back, etc. I made proper arrangements, and while it's an inconvenience, it wasn't a huge issue.

JDP sends back out the refurbished kit, and Tim installs - now the third time the installation process has taken place. Right away, Tim notes issues as when the kit is turned on, the fuse blows. He calls up JDP, more troubleshooting, and the kit seems to be working. I make the hour-plus trip out, pick up the car, and drive home with the halos on. About halfway there, my girlfriend calls me from the car in front and tells me my halos just went out. Sure enough, the fuse blew again. Couldn’t take the car back that night, so when it was convenient I brought it back out.

T&T talks to JDP about troubleshooting, and instead of fixing what is clearly a problem with the system, they encourage him to try a larger fuse. Obviously, if the fuse that should work is blowing, then there’s an issue with the kit. Sure enough, the larger fuse does not work either, and so they request that the kit be sent back in for testing.

This is now the FOURTH time the halo kit is being replaced. As a customer, I understand that sometimes there are issues – hell, I dealt with AAC’s bullshit for a few years – but this being the fourth time, I contacted Tyler to see what they could do differently than times past. I requested that they just send me a brand new kit, since previously they’ve just refurbished the old, non-functional kit. Tyler informed me that that was not an option due to company policy, but that I could send back the non-functional kit yet again for them to “fix”. I then asked if they would cover overnight or expedited shipping so that at least we could speed up the process of getting it repaired, and I could go less time without my vehicle available to me. Tyler informed me yet again that JDP company policy does not allow that. So now for a fourth time, I am subject again to the same process that has not worked in the past.

Each time is obviously a huge inconvenience for me – making the trip to the shop, being without my car during this uninstallation/installation process. It’s also an inconvenience for Tim, who as a business owner loses money and time every time he has a customer come back. JDP has offered nothing in response to compensate either of us for our time, resources, or the inconvenience we have incurred for the fact that they cannot provide a functional product.

On my end, as a customer, I don’t even WANT compensation – I just want a functional product! Instead, I feel like I’m caught in a laundry machine with JDP just taking me for yet another spin. If the definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over and over but expecting a different result, then JDP needs to be admitted.
dorfmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
BBQdDude

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS
I have a JDP halo kit also. I induced an issue and they covered me for my mistake. I hear you about the shipping and down time. Maybe talk...RMA. That way you get a new kit and less down time. They are an awesome shop and I know rules are rules.

If you are to the point of saying F it. Google Night Owl kit.
BBQdDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
ELIC1
Account Suspended

Drives: black and silver
Really 4 times. And what point do you say I want a refund. After the 3rd time and you still are looking for a 4 set. You must be nuts sorry to say it. I hope it all works out For you good luck
ELIC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #4
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELIC1 View Post
Really 4 times. And what point do you say I want a refund. After the 3rd time and you still are looking for a 4 set. You must be nuts sorry to say it. I hope it all works out For you good luck
After dealing with AAC, 4 tries is nothing

Really, I would have taken a full refund but that was also not an option. As stated in the OP, they take their (IMO flawed) company policy very seriously.

I will have another update on the situation in a few days...
Old 06-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
ELIC1
Account Suspended

Drives: black and silver
Ok good luck hope it all works out for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ELIC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:47 AM   #6
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdDude View Post
I have a JDP halo kit also. I induced an issue and they covered me for my mistake. I hear you about the shipping and down time. Maybe talk...RMA. That way you get a new kit and less down time. They are an awesome shop and I know rules are rules.

If you are to the point of saying F it. Google Night Owl kit.
X2 ^^^^^^
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:43 PM   #7
SSMKNU2

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
X2 ^^^^^^
X3
Old 06-20-2014, 09:51 PM   #8
UF4LIFE102SS
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 2010 2 SS
Im on number 2 also and it stopped working. Im sorry I cant do my own installs so it cost me off and on charges each time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mine just bearly light up. JDP?????????????
Old 06-20-2014, 10:29 PM   #9
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by UF4LIFE102SS View Post
Im on number 2 also and it stopped working. Im sorry I cant do my own installs so it cost me off and on charges each time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mine just bearly light up. JDP?????????????
Maybe they have something against us Gator fans...? Just kidding, of course, but I feel your pain.

T&T has been EXTREMELY generous throughout this process, not charging me for the additional on/off's because they acknowledge that it's a problem with the product, not something I've done. I hope that JDP steps up and does compensate them in some way.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:35 PM   #10
UF4LIFE102SS
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 2010 2 SS
If they cant give a new r good replacement let me get something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it worked fine then discoloration now they don't light up at all.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:57 PM   #11
PatsSS

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
Send a message via ICQ to PatsSS
JDP customer service is horrible. The customer is always WRONG! It's like they have the attitude "it's not our fault we sold you junk"
PatsSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:58 PM   #12
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
I'd just say F-it and bite the bullet and get the Night Owl kit. You won't be disappointed. After my JDP halo's messed up for the second time, I didn't even bother, just replaced with Night Owl.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:42 PM   #13
No Excuses
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Been having the same issues with Diode Dynamics with their halo kit from bad regulator to bad WiFi controller. They have been awesome replacing everything for me at no charge. Like some have said when is it enough?
No Excuses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:47 PM   #14
t!mbo

Drives: 45th 2SS M6
Just get the night owl kit! Joe (owner) of night owl is awesome and his customer service is outstanding.