Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 11-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #15
Jakeman

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Cold Air Induction

Go to the Heading under ZL1 Topics that is dealing with engine/bolt ons, etc.

There are specifics for Rotofab and CAI with dyno results. Also for Rotofab with other bolt ons.

Those data for rotofab alone are showing about 15-19 HP gain and about 15 T.

CAI is showing about 20 HP and 18 T. Most of these data are without tunes.

If the engine is running so rich from the factory, maybe have the dealer do an adjustment prior to the install.

Both Rotofab and CAI state no tune needed.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:07 AM   #16
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
the main things you will notice are the whine from the super charger and throttle response will improve. I also noticed on my roto fab that I gained almost 2mpg on the highway but lost 1 mpg city. the lost mile in the city is probably cuz I mash the peddle harder for the whine
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #17
Emvici

Drives: 2014 ZL1 White Convertible
Would it be a bad idea to modify the stock setup?. it appears the only SIGNIFCANT difference between the stock and the Cai systems is the size of the air filter? true?.
So if I left the tubes and box the same and put just the cai filter inside the stock box ?
Open minded opinions please.
Emvici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #18
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvici View Post
Would it be a bad idea to modify the stock setup?. it appears the only SIGNIFCANT difference between the stock and the Cai systems is the size of the air filter? true?.
So if I left the tubes and box the same and put just the cai filter inside the stock box ?
Just buy a Roto-Fab. Independent testing has shown between 20-25 RWHP increases. It's tried and true. Trying to modify the stock box is worthless. Why buy a $60k car and try to Jerry rig something? A conical filter won't fit inside the stock box. It requires a panel filter. An aftermarket system is quite different than the stock system. A smooth pipe and open cone filter vs. a ribbed rubber tube and clunky box with a small hole in it that restricts air. For $400.00 (give or take), buy the Roto-Fab and don't look back.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #19
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:

The first question you have to ask yourself, if that really worked someone would have done it already and posted pictures of the project. It won't work properly. The stock intake opening is small in comparison to the Roto Fab which is open in the front. The stock filter is flat, the Roto Fab conical! It appears that you need to just save and buy the Roto Fab?
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #20
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
I was talking with a neighbor of mine that has a Zl1 and and just put a Roto-fab cai system on. says he noticed an immediate increase in Hp, I was wondering how much Hp can you expect from that kind of upgrade?, and will it really be noticeable or is it more Hype?.

CAI on this car is worth about 20-25hp been tested over, and over and over.

add in tune ot the mix and you can pick up 35hp or so.

you pick up 1 psi boost when you add the intake so people who say it does nothing are dreaming as 1psi of boost= more HP no matter what.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #21
big dave

Drives: 2017 ZL1
After making several trips to the track with and without my CAI, I can certainly say it didn't work for me. I didn't even see an increase in mph, a true barometer of hp gains. I wonder if the dyno would've shown gains had the hood been closed when conducting the tests. There really isn't much of an opening in front of the box for the intake to get a true ram air effect.
'13 ZL1 BRM A6. 11.591 @ 119.2 factory stock with a 1.68 60'! Best stock mph 121.8. 11.29 @ 123 RotoFab, drag radials and skinnies. 4360# raceweight.
http://youtu.be/yggIA3C_kkA 2014... back to stock
http://youtu.be/spQLaTWbThs 2013... stock & RotoFab
big dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:33 AM   #22
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Quote:
the inlet tube is ribbed on the factory setup and all the after market set ups have smooth tubes. when I got my Z there were no aftermarket filters yet so I just swapped the factory ribbed elbow for a smooth one and picked up throttle response I could feel. from there went with my usual roto fab set up and could feel even more difference.
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #23
noah677
Account Suspended

Drives: White Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thCAMARO 2SS/RS View Post
You get a lot of butt horse power but the truth is about 5-10hp max but your mind n butt say 50hp lol
With respect and NO flame intended your butt would not notice 5-10hp. In my case when I put on the Roto fab I had a unintended response that was a complete and total surprise. With all the same settings, that is with no changes what so ever I floored it in second and third gear and the tires spun and the rear end of the car started to go. This definitely was not happening with the stock air box. Again every single thing was the same right down to the road, weather, time of day. IMHO this does not happen to a car with a mere 5+ hp increase
noah677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #24
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
I could tell a difference in the way it sounded when I installed the APex Scoop and WW relocate. That is sound only.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #25
Joe@CPR.com
Account Suspended

Drives: 03 vette, 94 trans am, 04 gto
we have installed numerous roto-fab cold airs on zl1 cars and every customer is always super happy w/ the results. We have a sale going on currently if you would like some pricing feel free to pm, email, or call us
Joe@CPR.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #26
2011Black2SS

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
We just hooked up one of our local ZL1 guys with a CAI Inc intake and VMAX ported throttle body. It was not dyno'd but the difference was more noticeable than on the SS or V6s. Also, you can hear the supercharger scream now. Definitely worth the money in my opinion.
Yes, it was definitely worth the money for me, if nothing else for just the sound. There is a much better throttle response and even though the butt dyno isn't accurate, I am getting wheel spin in gears that I normally didn't prior to the upgrade. For the price of the VMAX ported throttle body, it adds a good complimentary mod to the CAI.

I tried lining some dyno time up to do a before and after, but I was unable to and grew impatient to have to CAI and TB on the car.
2011Black2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #27

Drives: Getaway Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared355 View Post
Before I did major modding on my zl1 the only thing I had on was the roto fab. I had a lot of work done at speedtek and when they dynoed it I actually lost a lot of hp because it was running so rich. The roto fab really does need a tune. It makes the blower louder which makes you think it's faster but you will lose power without a tune
So who knows the answer to this question …..

Is there a "tune range" the ZL1 comes with that might be be improved upon while staying within the range? If so, one might expect to do a tune to improve and still be within specs so as to maintain warranty. ?? Would be nice to squeeze a little bit more out of it if possible. After all, it seems that the factory dyno's we are seeing vary quite a bit… a factor of the dyno's being used as well as the tune given at the factory varying.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #28
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by *007 View Post
So who knows the answer to this question …..

Is there a "tune range" the ZL1 comes with that might be be improved upon while staying within the range? If so, one might expect to do a tune to improve and still be within specs so as to maintain warranty. ?? Would be nice to squeeze a little bit more out of it if possible. After all, it seems that the factory dyno's we are seeing vary quite a bit… a factor of the dyno's being used as well as the tune given at the factory varying.
No. Wants the car is tuned, IT'S TUNED. Kiss your warranty goodbye. There is a counter in the system that will record the amount of times the computer has been flashed. As for the guy stating his car lost power and was running rich, I think his is a rare case. There has been tons of independent testing done on the Roto-Fab and tons of top-notch shops that swear by Roto-Fab. Good luck.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote