Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #15
DropTopZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
Never a smell ever out of mine. The idea that it is "normal" for "this car" is bullshit. There is nothing about this engine that is different than any other that should cause a smell. Lemon Law states that same problem recurring over 3 times without resolution that they should buy the car back from you for what you paid or replace it with another brand new car. Getting trade-in value for it is bullshit too.

There was a thread by a forum member last year in which he had an oil leak that took forever to find. It ended up being a PCV rubber grommet that was "mis-punched" and excess crankcase pressure was blowing oil out the seals. I believe it was the same car that he totaled right before they(Chevy) were going to buy it back from him.
I actually printer out that post in it's entirety and gave it to the service director at the dealership. I believe it was nyrfan that had that issue.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=275768&page=2
The dealership inspected the PCV grommet already I believe, unless they just said they did and didn't. I also showed them the post with pictures explaining the possibility of the oil cooler line being cross threaded. At this point they refuse to inspect the vehicle any more since they say the smell is "normal" for the vehicle. I guess they figure if they can't find a fix for the issue, they just say it's "normal."

Every time I drive my ZL1 my face cringes when I smell the odor which is every day. I wish it was like my Z06 where I went to work with a smile on my face from driving it. The new car smell lasted for about 2,000 miles on my ZL1 where it lasted 20,000+ miles on my Z06.

I'll stop with the opinions and stick to the facts...

For those who work for General Motors, I've already opened up several cases with Chevrolet Customer Assistance and had it escalated to the General Motors representative and to the GM district manager.

Thanks,

Anthony
DropTopZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #16
kaamacat

Drives: 2018 ZL1/1LE Red
This is the perfect thread for the GM reps that frequent this site, asking if there is anything they can do to assist....well now is the time. The answer of "this is normal" as others said is purely not correct, your HVAC system, especially on recirculate should have not external smells coming in. (Granted the plastics in the ductwork just need time to go-away, or insert some freshener sticks in there).

Just make sure it is documented well. Take back if necessary but do not settle. At some point Lemon Law comes to play here.

2018 ZL1 1LE (Red) - New Dec 2017
2015 ViperGT (Gunmetal w/Red stripes)
2013 ZR1 Anniversary
2014 ZL1 - BrightYellow, 6sp
2011 Porsche GT3RS - White w/red graphics
2009 Porsche C2S
2001 Ferrari 360
kaamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #17
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTopZL1 View Post
Hello fellow ZL1 owners, I have a question for all of you. I traded in my 640rwhp C6 Z06 for a brand new 2013 ZL1 convertible in January of 2013 due to the wife saying I needed a back seat for the little one.

Since then I have had my car at the dealership 7 times for a total of 45 days due to a burning oil smell from the A/C vents at normal operating temperatures and I'm at a stop or slow roll (ie. traffic). This burning oil smell is more prominent for the 1st 2,000 miles post an oil change. Yes, I did watch the technician perform the oil change twice and made sure they did not spill a drop of oil anywhere.

The dealership asked me to bring the vehicle in yesterday to meet with the General Motors District Manager. I met with the GM District Manager and let him experience the smell. His response was that the GM engineers are aware of this smell and that it's a normal smell for this vehicle. He offered to give me $5,000 towards the purchase of a new GM vehicle and they would take my vehicle in at trade in value.

I am not an automotive mechanic however I am an electrical/mechanical/chemical engineer and I'm pretty sure the smell of burning oil coming through the A/C vents means there's an active oil leak outside of the block somewhere. When the vehicle was on the rack at one point I did see a small amount of oil on the bottom of the bell housing.

I've always been loyal to GM but this makes me want to never buy another GM vehicle ever again.

What are your thoughts?
Do all of you experience this same odor?
Does it ever completely go away?

Thanks,

Anthony
Hello Anthony it goes away but may return at your next oil change then disappear again.

I found the harder I drive it the less I get it.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #18
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
my .02

if it not a physical leak then it is a vapor smell. physical leaks are easy to find as they are messy. Vapor is harder to find.

I do not really get this I have a had a dual check catch can on since 200 miles. this may have nothing to do with it though.

I have a very small leak on my cooler though that I need have fixed. by very small leak I mean literall a coaster size spot on my belly pan at oil change and never drips to the floor.

It is not "normal" imo. GM did not design the car to produce oil smell in the vent but some people have this issue and basically they are saying we can't find it.

I would take the 5k voucher or just start troubleshooting yourself. get the car up in the air run it a bit. if it is just a vapor smell recirculating throught the vents you will have to track down teh source.

if you get the vapor smell in the vents alot it should be way easeir to track down or reproduce.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #19
kaamacat

Drives: 2018 ZL1/1LE Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTopZL1 View Post
I actually printer out that post in it's entirety and gave it to the service director at the dealership. I believe it was nyrfan that had that issue.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=275768&page=2
The dealership inspected the PCV grommet already I believe, unless they just said they did and didn't. I also showed them the post with pictures explaining the possibility of the oil cooler line being cross threaded. At this point they refuse to inspect the vehicle any more since they say the smell is "normal" for the vehicle. I guess they figure if they can't find a fix for the issue, they just say it's "normal."

Every time I drive my ZL1 my face cringes when I smell the odor which is every day. I wish it was like my Z06 where I went to work with a smile on my face from driving it. The new car smell lasted for about 2,000 miles on my ZL1 where it lasted 20,000+ miles on my Z06.

I'll stop with the opinions and stick to the facts...

For those who work for General Motors, I've already opened up several cases with Chevrolet Customer Assistance and had it escalated to the General Motors representative and to the GM district manager.

Thanks,

Anthony

Can you get a friend to see what they think about the smell.....lets call that an outside-opinion just to put some meat behind what you already know?

As for GM saying their folks know this is normal with this car....wow.... that is a career limiting comment if I've ever heard one. (Imagine that on a car sales video). The other item about $5K. Who in their right mind would take the money for a defect, most likely have to shell out additional $$ for a new car.....so net-net a loss. (Or just the pure fact that they have a product they clearly are not standing behind and expect you to purchase another). Sorry but that just does not compute Will Robinson.

(Sorry but I do get quite upset when some car companies think you can spend good money, whether that is $10 or $60,000 on anything and accept anything less than perfect)

2018 ZL1 1LE (Red) - New Dec 2017
2015 ViperGT (Gunmetal w/Red stripes)
2013 ZR1 Anniversary
2014 ZL1 - BrightYellow, 6sp
2011 Porsche GT3RS - White w/red graphics
2009 Porsche C2S
2001 Ferrari 360
kaamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #20
Misterleeman

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Mine had the "smell" for a while, but its faded now that the car is a year old. Haven't noticed anymore.
Misterleeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #21
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Wow, had no idea you've investigated this as far as you have. IMO. I would also not accept,it if it was that much of an annoyance. With mine I had the issue for a bit but I can't really remember the last time I smelled mine. It may also be a factor of it getting much colder and my habits have changed (i.e. Windows up, warming up car, etc). Being a former factory rep with a manufacturer I can tell you to keep up the pressure and keep escalating this and it will get resolved. Also, be nice. I know it's hard when you are pissed but making enemies out of the folks at GM will not encourage them to help you. I always went the extra mile for people who got me on their side. Just my opinion and in no way am I implying you have been anything other than, just my experiences from doing that job.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #22
DropTopZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaamacat View Post
Can you get a friend to see what they think about the smell.....lets call that an outside-opinion just to put some meat behind what you already know?

As for GM saying their folks know this is normal with this car....wow.... that is a career limiting comment if I've ever heard one. (Imagine that on a car sales video). The other item about $5K. Who in their right mind would take the money for a defect, most likely have to shell out additional $$ for a new car.....so net-net a loss. (Or just the pure fact that they have a product they clearly are not standing behind and expect you to purchase another). Sorry but that just does not compute Will Robinson.

(Sorry but I do get quite upset when some car companies think you can spend good money, whether that is $10 or $60,000 on anything and accept anything less than perfect)
I got one of my co-workers to smell it and he says it's definitely an oil smell. His family owns a couple auto repair shops in the Fort Worth area and he built a fox body mustang that runs 4.8x in the 1/8th mile. I trust his judgement. So far every one of my friends that have smelled it agree that it smells like burning oil. It's definitely not transmission fluid, coolant, etc. as those smells are way different than that of an oil smell. I'm going to ask someone at my work if I can use a sniffer to determine what the smell actually consists of. That would be a good start in figuring out what exactly it is.

Thanks for your input. I've been very friendly with the dealership thus far and have actually praised them to GM saying their customer service is outstanding. It's disappointing the way GM is handling the situation. I got in touch with a lawyer today and am sending him all my paperwork tomorrow.

Anthony

Anthony
Old 12-04-2013, 10:46 PM   #23
rzrbck_zl1

Drives: '13 ZL1 CRT #702; '05 Hemi Ram
I've got over 8000 miles on the odometer, and I've never had even a hint of an oil smell. I drive 50 miles a day in heavy stop-and-go traffic in Houston. I can't imagine this could be considered "normal".
rzrbck_zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:58 PM   #24
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
I noticed the smell in my car when it was new. It only happened a couple of times and was gone after that. There is an old thread with similar complaints.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #25
noah677
Account Suspended

Drives: White Zl1
I have read most of the replies on this thread. One of my questions (maybe already dealt with and I missed it) is what happened to the dye test that is I used to track down any suspected oil leaks?? They even have a kit which includes everything needed for pinpointing oil, coolant, brake leaks. Used it myself and definitely works as advertised.
Again maybe this has been already been used on the zl1s with the smell as a matter of routine . Anyway just my 2 cents (maybe 5 cents now with ObamaCare)
noah677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #26
DropTopZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah677 View Post
I have read most of the replies on this thread. One of my questions (maybe already dealt with and I missed it) is what happened to the dye test that is I used to track down any suspected oil leaks?? They even have a kit which includes everything needed for pinpointing oil, coolant, brake leaks. Used it myself and definitely works as advertised.
Again maybe this has been already been used on the zl1s with the smell as a matter of routine . Anyway just my 2 cents (maybe 5 cents now with ObamaCare)
At one point the service director brought up using the dye however he saw the oil residue at the bottom of the bell housing in which they decided to replace the rear main seal. They won't investigate it any more as GM says the burning oil smell is a normal smell for this vehicle.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #27
11B250

Drives: Corvette Z06
I think they should provide you with proof regarding the oil smell being normal. I just dont believe any car manuf will release a car where oil smell is normal. it's unsafe and crazy.

Any change you can contact the Camaro Chief Engineer, and run the issue by him? then you can use that information and what you can do.

Out of curiousity, if you happened to hire a lawyer for this matter and get the car replaced via lemon law, would GM have to pay for the lawyer's fees? A possible route you can go towards.
11B250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #28
11B250

Drives: Corvette Z06
This is a lemon law lawyer group out of FL. supposedly the lemon law states the manuf wil have to cover legal fees etc.

Again.... I know this is for FL, but look for one in your state. you could be walking out with a 2014 ZL1 with no miles on it and hopefully no smell.

http://www.floridalemonauto.com/
11B250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burning oil, lemon law, oil odor, oil smell, zl1 issues