Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-25-2011, 12:17 PM   #29
Jason7
NorCalCamaros.com

Drives: 2010 2SS White
I'm pretty aware that there was nothing wrong with his car other than being stupid.
You: hydroplaned which has no relation to what happened to him whatsoever.
Him: burning out in the rain or seeing how fast the puppy would go on a rainy day is about the dumbest thing ive heard yet.

If he followed my directions and went to have it diagnosed, they would have thrown him out of the dealership along with his story...

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Hernandez View Post
IM 100% sure there is nothing wrong with your Camaro.A week after I got mine I was going 60 on a 4 lane highway here in texas on a stormy afternoon and did a complete 360 turn from the right lane all the way to the fourth lane ending up on the side of the highway about 5 feet from slamming into the guard rails luckily were I landed there was all grass and mud and it was just enough to stop my car before i slammed into the guard rail and wrecked no harm was done but it gave me quite a scare! Basicly you just have to be careful and aware of the conditions around you at all times
Jason7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:26 PM   #30
Allan Hernandez

Drives: 2LT/RS RJT/GrayHStripe
Send a message via Yahoo to Allan Hernandez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason7 View Post
I'm pretty aware that there was nothing wrong with his car other than being stupid.
You: hydroplaned which has no relation to what happened to him whatsoever.
Him: burning out in the rain or seeing how fast the puppy would go on a rainy day is about the dumbest thing ive heard yet.

If he followed my directions and went to have it diagnosed, they would have thrown him out of the dealership along with his story...

Jason
how does this not have relation to what his saying.yeah he was accelerating and i was already going 60 but the point was that you need be careful when theres bad weather
Allan Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #31
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
If you had the TC turned off when you stomped on the throttle at the light your tires would have spun a lot more but most likely you wouldn't have gained enough traction and speed for the car to go sideways. Thats assuming you kept the wheel straight and the road was flat and even. I like to turn my fourth gen sideways on rainy days but I always try to leave room for error. My days of hanging the rear end out in front of a stopped car are over. Was fun while it lasted though.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #32
CamaroSue

Drives: 2019 Corvette GS, 2023 ZL1
I learned this lesson when I was 16 in a 1972 Camaro (V8)! The Camaro didnt make it! But, I've never forgotten that lesson and havent totalled a Camaro since then! Now, I'm not saying that wont happen again, but it wont be because I'm not respecting the power of the Camaro!!!!

Yeah, do the parking lot thing that many have suggested.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:05 PM   #33
Epitaph
Custom User Title

Drives: Fast
Again, it was you. I was able to do that in a 4-banger S10 when the roads were wet. You should find a closed course to drive on so you don't hurt yourself or others. Try to get someone with experience to show you what's going on.
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #34
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
I don't yet have a Camaro. But I've had Vette's for YEARS. C4's, C5's and a C6. I don't remember ever being able to get the Vette that out of control - even when I tried - with traction control turned on. The traction control always intervened so harshly that there seemed to be no way I could get the car sideways on a wet road or even on snow. In fact, if I floored the car from a stop in conditions like that, it would normally fall flat on its face as the traction control intervened.

Are you guys saying that the traction control on the Camaro will allow the wheels to spin enough to slide the car sideways and beyond when flooring it from a stop?

Today, I drive a rear wheel drive Mercedes E500 family car and this past winter, I tried - from a stop - to get the car sideways in the snow and could not do it with traction control turned on.
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #35
jkchambless
Austin LT

Drives: 1LT - Airaid,JBA Axleback,VMax PTB
No, he turned off all traction controll. I heard others say to "never" do this, even on dry pavement, unless you are an highly experienced driver.
jkchambless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #36
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkchambless View Post
No, he turned off all traction controll. I heard others say to "never" do this, even on dry pavement, unless you are an highly experienced driver.
Here's what the original poster said. I read it a few times. Am I missin' something?

Quote:
That little devil start saying to me "ok, let's se what this baby can do". I didn't turn off any of the stability helpers. When the light goes green, I step on the floor as fast as I can. Oh, that beautiful V8 sound!
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #37
wrbear
Banned

Drives: 2010, 2SS, IOM/CGM Stripes, 4/24/10
This story reminds of when I bought a pair of roller skates.....I fell down a dozen times.............then I put the skates on...lol
wrbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:22 PM   #38
blizzpat
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS
It's not the speed - it's your rpms. It may read 10mph, but you may be at 5k rpms and the car simply can't stick in the rain. The harder you spin the tires the less traction you're going to get at low speeds.

Just remember - rain + speed on rwd = bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eich View Post
I don't yet have a Camaro. But I've had Vette's for YEARS. C4's, C5's and a C6. I don't remember ever being able to get the Vette that out of control - even when I tried - with traction control turned on. The traction control always intervened so harshly that there seemed to be no way I could get the car sideways on a wet road or even on snow. In fact, if I floored the car from a stop in conditions like that, it would normally fall flat on its face as the traction control intervened.

Are you guys saying that the traction control on the Camaro will allow the wheels to spin enough to slide the car sideways and beyond when flooring it from a stop?
The Automatics (his car) have more torque down low than the manuals do. First gear is almost useless to be honest on the L99. The traction control does work, but traction control can only do so much - you have to know how to drive also. It cuts the power but if you don't know how to regain control the cars going to go where it pleases. Traction control is there to help, the real savior is the driver, not the computer.
blizzpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:41 PM   #39
FastEddie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 IOM LS3 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Actually, wet roads and a large parking lot are the BEST way to learn about breaking traction.

It's normal for the rear tires to break loose, even with traction control. T/C will limit it somewhat after a few seconds, but you can still go sideways during that time.

Remember...you have 400+ horsepower, and that is a LOT. Unless you're trying to get loose, always be delicate with the throttle. Smoothness is important ANY time you drive, but more important with a car like this.

If you have a large parking lot, use it sometime...and test the limits of the car (both when wet and when dry).
I am surprised you got it to 10 mph. before losing control. Coulda lost it at 0!
FastEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:51 PM   #40
Nitroman28

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 416/4L80
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Should have got a v6..

oh yeah, i went there! lol

Nitroman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #41
camaroitalia
Go Harder Than Baltimore!

Drives: 2010 CGM
the thread title did make me giggle
Old 04-26-2011, 03:40 AM   #42
jcouves

Drives: Bumblebee!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkchambless View Post
No, I didn't. I lost control of the car with traction control ON.
jcouves is offline   Reply With Quote