Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 04-02-2014, 10:42 PM   #1
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
What does a gear swap entail?

Topic says it all... I want to change from 3.23 to 3.45 out of the SS, and I'm manual so I have the same rear end. What all do I need short of the gears themselves?
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen

Drives: 2010 2SS
I would have you buy another diff from an SS and not go through the pain of having someone build it. I just had one built and its messed up. Need to find someone else to look at it. I just sold mine for $600. A lot cheaper than actually doing a gear change. Then you have an extra diff to sell, or keep "just in case."
Old 04-03-2014, 03:56 AM   #3
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
or find a good gear shop. You could buy a used SS diff cheap and sell your 3.23 to a G8 owner. I think thats the wanted ration in the G8. I may be wrong.
How many miles? if low mileage should just need AAM 3.45 gears, new ring gear bolts,pinion bearing , pinion seal, and a pinion crush washer. if The AAM 3.45 gears are as good as there 3.91s they will bolt right in. Your might be the exception though. My 3.91s only required those parts and were perfect. car had 4900 miles.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1

Last edited by JCunningham; 04-03-2014 at 01:15 PM. Reason: pinion bearing ans seal
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
DSX_Camaro

Thanks guys. I'm at over 15k miles already. And not really sure how to go about this. I guess the independent rear is different than a solid sxle for new gears?
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
Old 04-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
JCunningham

not really different as far as the gears. you could replace the bearings and axle seals while your in there. O and you will need a pinion bearing and seal. It will most likely stretch when they pull it off the pinion. part #20993936
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 04-03-2014, 06:23 PM   #6
DSX_Camaro

Do you think I could just order the SS ring and pinion from a parts distributor or dealer?

Just to use the first gm parts site that popped up, it would be #13 here, right? http://www.trademotion.com/parts/201...diagram=ZB3080
Old 04-03-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
Edzo

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS and 63 Impala
Is it worth it? I could see going lower like 3.91's or 4.11's or something but 3.45's aren't really super quick gears right? Or at least not too much different from 3.23's.
Edzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #8
DSX_Camaro

Well I've got a V6 and my first gear is 4.48 so anything higher than like 3.73 is total overkill. And I'm planning on FI down the road. 3.45s is just a stepping stone.

However, yes, you are correct. 3.23 to 3.45 is about 6.81% lower. Not huge. But you feel it.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:25 PM   #9
JCunningham

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Do you think I could just order the SS ring and pinion from a parts distributor or dealer?

Just to use the first gm parts site that popped up, it would be #13 here, right? http://www.trademotion.com/parts/201...diagram=ZB3080
ya and you will also need 9, 10, and 12 I would get two # 7 seals too just incase
Old 04-03-2014, 10:40 PM   #10
DSX_Camaro

Thank you!
Old 04-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #11
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
I guess the independent rear is different than a solid sxle for new gears?
It's really not different...just a lot of people don't use a case spreader when they setup gears, and in an aluminum center section, that seems to be more important. The case spreader during assembly allows the setup to have proper bearing pre-load, which allows the housing to maintain backlash better.

Most old school axles are iron...by all rights you should use a spreader on them too for the same reason, but as the housing is more rigid most guys get away with just fighting a bit more shim in to get some preload, and it never becomes an issue.

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote