Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-06-2009, 01:09 AM   #15
69Bird

Drives: 1969 Firebird, 2010 Camaro SS
Seriously think about it. The performance products that GM has in place now warrant a aftermarket style tune. It would make sense for them to offer a Tune so you can maintain your warranty yet take advantage of thier performance parts. Granted it will not make as much HP/TQ but would provide a serious boost from the stock numbers with their parts. It is a no brainer. I hope my feeling is right
Old 08-06-2009, 06:42 AM   #16
GEN-IV
Right Cam

Drives: 2010 LS3 / 79 Z28
If GM offered a tune for the GMPP headers/CAI/exhaust package, it would certainly be a great upgrade. They have the resources to accurately develop tune modifications for the LS3/L99 and they know what works, it's a great idea!
Old 08-06-2009, 07:06 AM   #17
ElAntonius

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS A6
Yep. Just for the record the ford tune (and for that matter, the Sky/Solstice tune) are all attached to upgraded parts as part of a package.

The 'starter' kit for the mustang is a CAI, exhaust*, and tune for about $1000, and I'm told it's a great little investment for people who want a bit more oomph without voiding the warranty. *exhaust might be something else, I'm always forgetting.

It's not a tune sold alone.

In the case of the Solstice GXP/Sky Redline, it's a turbo upgrade and tune, that IIRC makes somewhere in the neighborhood of +50 hp. Again IIRC, I remember hearing it's one of the best investments you can make if you own one of those.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:56 AM   #18
MuscleCarz

Drives: 5.4 3v
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
This would possibly make car companies detune the cars for stock. Like airlines starting to charge for luggage and peanuts.

Yes, but from what I understand it gibes you no more power. Might help us down here in the south a little better.
The CAI isn't going to give you any power because the computer will correct for it without a tune. A tune would help optimize that particular upgrade.
MuscleCarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #19
Van

Drives: 2006 EVO MR - 390 @ wheels
um...but if the computer corrects for it (i.e. correcting the fuel units to match the newer and hopefully more plentiful air units) than you SHOULD get a slight power add from it regardless.

If this mod doesn't give any HP increase...its because it doesn't increase any of the air intake.

However the ECU can only adjust so much. An aftermarket tune gives you the most you can get safely from "x" modifications.
3000, Order accepted by production control 8/18/2009 TPW 9/07/2009
3300, Order scheduled for production 8/24/2009
3400, Order broadcast 9/1/2009
3800, Order produced 9/11/2009
4200, Shipped 9/11/2009
5000, Delivered to the dealer
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #20
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
This would possibly make car companies detune the cars for stock. Like airlines starting to charge for luggage and peanuts.

Yes, but from what I understand it gibes you no more power. Might help us down here in the south a little better.

I know that on the old Cobalt SS's with the superchargers, there were different packages you could get added on at the dealer. Stage 1 and Stage 2. They had things like CAI and exhaust, also a pulley change and a tune.

It wasn't to do with de-tuning from the factory, it had to do with meeting certain emissions and mileage stuff up until it was delivered, then what you did to it after didn't effect their numbers. But it was still with parts they approved, so you wouldn't be screwed if your car blew up.

They were almost like modern day COPOs, and I don't see why a similar performance package can't and/or won't be offered for this car in the near future. It might be something to look for in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:14 AM   #21
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCarz View Post
The CAI isn't going to give you any power because the computer will correct for it without a tune. A tune would help optimize that particular upgrade.
Huh? Do you mean CAI's in general dont give you any power unless you get a tune? Or are you talking about the GM CAI?
Old 08-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #22
MuscleCarz

Drives: 5.4 3v
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
Huh? Do you mean CAI's in general dont give you any power unless you get a tune? Or are you talking about the GM CAI?
I was just trying to adress irpq11's statement that "the GM CAI gives you no more power."

There might be some gains, but I think after the ECU makes all the corrections for the GM CAI the gains could be minimal.
MuscleCarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #23
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleCarz View Post
I was just trying to adress irpq11's statement that "the GM CAI gives you no more power."

There might be some gains, but I think after the ECU makes all the corrections for the GM CAI the gains could be minimal.

any CAI should/will give you slight gains of around 10hp untuned. with a tune, it will be higher, but thats the story for EVERY CAI, not just the GMPP
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #24
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
The only tune GM will possibly be offerring (in the short term) for the Camaro will be an update for the poor performing/sluggish L99s.
This tune will be designed to bring these L99's up to "normal" stock level
(not to provide additional HP/TQ to L99's running fine).

Last edited by SGOS252382; 08-06-2009 at 05:26 PM.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:50 AM   #25
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
I know that on the old Cobalt SS's with the superchargers, there were different packages you could get added on at the dealer. Stage 1 and Stage 2. They had things like CAI and exhaust, also a pulley change and a tune.

It wasn't to do with de-tuning from the factory, it had to do with meeting certain emissions and mileage stuff up until it was delivered, then what you did to it after didn't effect their numbers. But it was still with parts they approved, so you wouldn't be screwed if your car blew up.

They were almost like modern day COPOs, and I don't see why a similar performance package can't and/or won't be offered for this car in the near future. It might be something to look for in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
The only tune GM will possibly be offerring (in the short term) for the Camaro will be an update for the poor performing/sluggish L99s.
This tune will be designed to bring these L99's up to "normal" stock level
(not to provide additional HP/TQ to L99's running fine).
I don't think it's gonna be easy for them to decide whitch ones are or aren't running 'fine'

Problem is that some people will claim theirs isn't just to get a possible tune to make theirs even faster.

It's gonna be VERY interesting to see what they do.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:05 AM   #26
ElAntonius

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS A6
PQ, I suspect if it really is a tuning issue, they'll just issue a TSB to get every L99 an updated tune. It's not like your car is physically different from the 'fine' cars, I don't think, so it's got to be some interaction between tune and other conditions.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:55 AM   #27
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!

Drives: A Car
Forget about the warranty, go get some real mods and tune. It sux that you guys have to deal with GM putting a tight leash on things now. Back when I had mods done to my car GM still performed warranty work.
GM4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:24 AM   #28
SicSix6
The Demon Photographer

Drives: 2010 1SS IOM Camaro
Huh? They made their own tune. It is the one that is in the car from the factory.

1SS IOM LS3, GM 4-pack guages, SLP SS Front Emblem, Roto-Fab CAI, Solo Performance Mach X Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Throw Shifter
SicSix6 is offline   Reply With Quote