Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-20-2012, 10:40 PM   #15
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMorgan View Post
I measured at the very center of the splitter. It appears to be about equal to me, but I can check the sides when I go back.
Thanks, that would be great! It looks lower in front of the tires but it just might be an optical illusion.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #16
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
large curbs will be an issue but there are alot of car that will have an issue with that. I mean even our 300c dropped 2" I have to watch.

I look at it like this if you know about it just just drive aronnd it. I live in an area that sucks for things like this. The Z06 is about 1/2 lower than a Zr-1 oddly enough. for some reason my wife did not think the half in extra cleance was woth trading up though ha ha.

I just angle over anthing that looks big and I don'thave an issue in my Z06 really. you just have to respect the fact it low use angle and go slow. I had a couple stupid friends were into lowrider pickups when I was yourger so driving those worthless things got me used to it.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #17
RobMorgan

Drives: 12 ZL1,ZR1, 57, 60, 67 vette Harley
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Thanks, that would be great! It looks lower in front of the tires but it just might be an optical illusion.
Went by the car show and got better measurements and some good and bad news.
Good news - the height to the splitter is actually 5 3/4" and it is the same height from the center to the sides. The other very good news is that the distance from the tire contact point to the splitter in front of the tires is only 19". That compares to 28" on the splitter of a Corvette ZR1 which is also a full inch lower. The Corvette is quite flat across the front, but the ZL1 is pointed - so the farthest point on the camaro is quite a bit farther out than the sides, which will allow it to clear bumps with angled approach that helps very little on the corvette.

There is an air damn right in fronth of the tire that is very low - only 3.5", but it is so close to the tire that it should not be an issue. That is what made it appear like the splitter was lower at the sides.

The bad news is that the splitter is not going to be easily replaced like it is on the corvette. The splitter is actually part of the lower grill, so it would all have to be replaced if the splitter got damaged. Given that it is all plastic and not carbon and that it is a full inch higher and closer to the tires, i really think that the ground clearance when driving will not be much of an issue and I do not anticipate a problem even using the ZL1 as a daily driver.
Attached Images

ZL1 SIM, MN6, ECF #541
RobMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #18
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Thanks RM, we all appreciate the information about the splitter clearance.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:32 AM   #19
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Thanks RM, we all appreciate the information about the splitter clearance.
+1, thanks for the detailed info Rob
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS|M6|CGM Exterior|Gray Int
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:30 AM   #20
adamgl

Drives: '98 Camaro Z28, '06 Z06
Great info Rob.
'06 Z06 2LZ, Cam, P/P/M Heads, FAST Intake/TB, ARH, CAI, HP Clutch/FW, C5 Axles,
Pfadt Coilovers/Poly Bushings, Carbon Fiber: Everything, lol. HID's, 360 Forged Spec 5's/Invo's, Custom Interior. 550 RWHP
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235911
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:00 AM   #21
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Great info, thanks.
Did you happen to notice if the air dam is on a spring or if it's easily replaced.
It doesn't seem like any of it is going to be much of a problem.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #22
RobMorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post
Great info, thanks.
Did you happen to notice if the air dam is on a spring or if it's easily replaced.
It doesn't seem like any of it is going to be much of a problem.
It is not on a spring, but appears to be easily replaced. I think it is just held on by a couple screws or bolts. The Z was up on a moving stand with a girl blathering ignorantly, so I could not really crawl under it or get a great look at it. The damn is so close to the tire that I don't think it will be an issue - if it is, the whole front end would probably have been taken out by the bump!
ZL1 SIM, MN6, ECF #541
Old 03-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #23
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
WOW - THANKS RM'!!! I couldn't tell the splitter was part of the lower grille. I was thinking I saw some screws or bolts under there to hold it onto the lower grille and facia, but you've gotten a way better look so that's a little disappointing. I'm just going to have to be EXTRA careful

Thanks again for the comments.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #24
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
WOW - THANKS RM'!!! I couldn't tell the splitter was part of the lower grille. I was thinking I saw some screws or bolts under there to hold it onto the lower grille and facia, but you've gotten a way better look so that's a little disappointing. I'm just going to have to be EXTRA careful

Thanks again for the comments.
I definitely see some screws in the last photo posted.
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #25
kbui

Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
I measured my lowered SS (about 1.25" all around) with a ZL1 bumper and I have:

1) height = 5.5"
2) distance from front of tire's contact patch and the center tip of the splitter is 30.5"

Which is approx. 10.2 deg in approach angle if you drive straight in.

The lower grille and the splitter is ONE piece. The splitter wraps around the bottom lip of the fascia/bumper. There is a ribbed flat stiffener plate that fits inside the splitter allows for extra screws to attach the splitter to the fascia/bumper making the the splitter very stiff. This splitter was clearly designed to do 180+ mph as apposed to the original and most of the aftermarket splitters.

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
kbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #26
RobMorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
I definitely see some screws in the last photo posted.
The wind damn in front of the tires is screwed to the splitter. The splitter is screwed to the fender in front of the tire, but it is one piece when you get to the lower section of the grill - so if the splitter needed to be replaced, the lower grill would be replaced with it.
ZL1 SIM, MN6, ECF #541
Old 03-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #27
bvcamaro

Drives: '12 LFX
When they were shipped to the dealer (before being recalled lol), yellow "shock spacer/lifters" were used to lift the front end a little bit (do not know exactly how much) so they could be loaded/unloaded off the truck. During the PDI, they were to be removed and to be put in the glovebox so the customer could use them. I'd assume for appearance and to show off the car's lowered stance, ect., the spacers would be removed be removed at the car shows but you never know...
bvcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:41 AM   #28
noxqq

Drives: '19 ZR1 Shadow Gray & '16 Z06 LBR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvcamaro View Post
When they were shipped to the dealer (before being recalled lol), yellow "shock spacer/lifters" were used to lift the front end a little bit (do not know exactly how much) so they could be loaded/unloaded off the truck. During the PDI, they were to be removed and to be put in the glovebox so the customer could use them. I'd assume for appearance and to show off the car's lowered stance, ect., the spacers would be removed be removed at the car shows but you never know...
Yes they are removed. I asked that very question at the Milwaukee show.
noxqq is offline   Reply With Quote