Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #29
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
"......the name 'Camaro' means 'friend' -- 'pal' -- or 'comrade' -- "

those words were spoken by Eliot M. "Pete" Estes wayyyyyyyy back in 1966.

To my way of seeing things: no one should ever look down on another Camaro owner. (....unless of course they've done something that deserves being looked down upon.......)

This is a great community - we gather to celebrate these great automobiles -- and the person who spends $23,000 on an LS feels every bit of pride for their Camaro as the person who spends $57,000 on a ZL1............AND-- perhaps more!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #30
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
Nothing better on the weekend than going to a car show, seeing all types of rides, and talking to people about fast cars for hours. I'm all about the american V8 muscle cars and I'm a Chevy fan, as you can tell by my past cars, but I can't stand it when people are so die hard to 1 brand that they look down at everyone that drives something different. I say to Camaro, Challenger, Mustang, or anything else that hauls @$$
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS|M6|CGM Exterior|Gray Int
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:54 PM   #31
Taintedveins
Shark attack!

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Gixxer1000 View Post
While I don’t have many posts on here, I am here quite a bit reading and watching.

As you might have guessed from my user name I am a motorcycle guy first and foremost. But I am also one of the 480 of us who have a ZL1 build and waiting. I’m #310

A replacement for my 2010 SS/RS which is already gone to its new home :(

But I wonder am I now a ZL1 snob? In the motorcycle world it is VERY click-ie. The sport bike guys stay with the sport bike guys; Harley riders hate everyone but their own, metric cruisers secretly want to be Harley riders, GoldWing riders are a different bread altogether with their cup holders, reverse gears and cigarette liters! Dirt bikers are different than quad riders and so on.

But within each one of these different groups are a seemingly endless subculture of even more separation.

Dirt bikers who ride motocross don’t like the dirt bikers that ride desert or trail ride. The trail riders don’t like the supercross riders and so on.

Sport bike riders who road race don’t like stunters, stunters don’t like the Hayabusa crowd, and those riders don’t like this one and so on, and so on. :fighting0040:

All of that is preference to riding style, I get it. But even within these subcultures the bike you chose to ride is a factor. If you ride a GSXR1000 that is like driving a ZL1. It is a top of the line high performance machine. (Regardless if those reading this like the GSXR1000 or not, it cannot be denied it is a performance leader. As is the ZX10, CBR1000 or R1 respectively

SO! What does this have to do with cars and the ZL1?

While all of the above mentioned bikes are top performance machines from there respective manufactures. Unlike cars, there are not really any different trim packaged or levels to the bikes. It basically goes like this; here is the bike for this year. You can pick between two, maybe three colors. That’s is. Not to omit the fact that there are sub-categories such and engine size etc, but that is different point.

How this relates to cars is:

A base model Camaro. A strip down basic nothing. Steel rims with a v-6 auto. The kind you would rent from Dollar rent-a-car. As a ZL1 owner do you look down on that car/driver? Maybe even just a little bit in the back of your mind? What about the SS series? Now that the ZL1 is top dog… why not? Why wouldn’t you?

It is not being rude. Let me explain. In motorcycles if you ride a GSXR1000 or R1 etc. you own one of the best of the best. If a guy pulls up on a 250 Ninja (equal to a base/base Camaro) it is still a sport bike. So you are still friendly (see original subculture dynamic above) but you kind of look at his bike like. “Dude… WHY?” He is a nice enough guy etc. just with a less than desirable bike compared to yours.

But then a group of Harleys or some metric cruisers show up and you and the 250 Ninja guy are like long lost brothers! The bond of your sport bike group is greater than that of your subculture. Just as if a metric cruisers showed up and you two were the only bikes around, the umbrella of motorcycling would trump the individual subculture. Except Harleys because as previously mentioned…. They hate everybody but their own regardless. =)

I am sure like most of us while out driving we see the Gen 5 Camaro’s and look to see what it is… “Oh that’s a SS/RS” or “hey that a v-6 because of…”

I always looked for the SS cars because they are in my “group” But even now when I look I think. “Dude that SS is nothing compared to the ZL1”. That’s not to say I don’t appreciate or enjoy their car but now with a new king of the road. Have the others all moved down a notch?

Maybe this makes me sound like a jerk. I just was wondering if anyone else now looked at the SS the way they once looked at the V-6. All still Camaro but within this Camaro subculture – I believe just like in bikes – there is a prejudice. Or am I wrong and all Camaro guys love one another equally?

Your thoughts?

Disclaimer: no disrespect intended to any motorcycle group or subculture. Or to V-6 owners
If you are in Tucson, just join up in the club we don't separate every one is appreciated equally. I may have a v6 but I haven't been treated badly for it , sure maybe a few remarks, but they don't cause harm, a little taunting can be motivational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post

To my way of seeing things: no one should ever look down on another Camaro owner. (....unless of course they've done something that deserves being looked down upon.......)

This is a great community - we gather to celebrate these great automobiles -- and the person who spends $23,000 on an LS feels every bit of pride for their Camaro as the person who spends $57,000 on a ZL1............AND-- perhaps more!
And yes, I have more pride in my car then another owner does because it is the thing I can stare and drive all the time, you may have a ZL1 and they are awesome, but as I see it my car is perfect regardless of scratches etc.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #32
gnturboray

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS LS3 LPE750
SS doesn't match up to the ZL1 huh? You're right it doesn't, my SS has 750bhp and I believe the "lowly" ZL1 only has 580bhp. Oh and I ride a Big Dog Chopper with 140bhp 117ci motor but most of my riding buddies are on Harleys. Does this make me better?? No, its just my choice to be different but in a way the same as them.
gnturboray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #33
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
I think these cultures come down to individuals. Some of these individuals are jerks, and sometimes these jerks give a bad name to these cultures. All it takes is one jerk to make an impression. I would say car cultures are no different. Lots of nice people but there are some jerks.

The OP is right about the subcultures, but that's a stereotype for the group. On an individual basis, everyone gets to be as cool or as jerky as his nature & IQ allows.

I drive a 'busa, and really love riding with my GSXR buddies, and we even swap rides sometimes.

The best part about being in this group or that isn't the machines we love, it's the relationships we build within and around 'em.

Then again, I may not let very many people drive my ZL1, but I'll sure as heck give my friends a good tire squealing ride and see what their Ultragrin looks like.
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:01 AM   #34
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
Naturally there's a feeling of difference between the models. Good. It breeds rivalry and competition. It breeds conversation. It leads to bragging and racing and just plain fun. Just like Camaro vs the car that shall not be named. Its all good. Trash talk is always fun but if you get called out on it you shouldn't get all butthurt. Go back up your mouth and then either win with a smile or graciously admit defeat and get back to work getting ready for next time. I'll jump in my SS and duke it out with a ZL1 anytime. Some damn kid in a ragged out looking Accord will probably cruise right on by us with his fart can rattling and his giant wing down forcing. At that point all you can do is laugh
Old 03-26-2012, 12:09 AM   #35
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I'm the snob.

Those lowly ZL1ers are just scrubs.

Honestly, I just see Camaro.

And secretly envy the technology in them. lol
Old 03-26-2012, 12:19 AM   #36
YellowGTO

Drives: GTO
The only issue I have with such mass produced car is stuff like
or

YellowGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:39 AM   #37
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn!

I'm a car enthusiast, which means I like all sorts of cars and I know I will never have the baddest, fastest, quickest car out there...but then again that's not what I'm looking for.

I get a car because I admire how it looks, handles, it's technology etc. and not because I think it will be the best or higher up the food chain.

And if someone doesn't like what I drive that's their problem not mine...unless they really want it to be my problem...
OVRKLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:53 AM   #38
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post

and what's the meaning of this?

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:19 AM   #39
thebatdude

Drives: 70 Chevelle big block
I grew up with Street Rodders and Hot Rodders. Supposedly each camp thought the other one was not as skilled but, other than the usual good humored ribbing, when they were actually together in person, they both swapped stories, admired various aspects of the cars, and learned from each other.

The bottom line is that Camaro is the best name in cars because we are all drawn together as comrades in various ways. I admit that I have seen some Camaros that were not my cup of tea, but if not for a variety of people buying them, sales would not sustain the Camaro and we would all lose ALL of the models! In fact, I would say that the v6 is the most important of all since the mpg, the price, and even the hp (300+ regardless of # of cylinders is good and the mpg is fantastic for that power) probably sustains all of the other models.
thebatdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:42 AM   #40
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebatdude View Post
I grew up with Street Rodders and Hot Rodders. Supposedly each camp thought the other one was not as skilled but, other than the usual good humored ribbing, when they were actually together in person, they both swapped stories, admired various aspects of the cars, and learned from each other.

The bottom line is that Camaro is the best name in cars because we are all drawn together as comrades in various ways. I admit that I have seen some Camaros that were not my cup of tea, but if not for a variety of people buying them, sales would not sustain the Camaro and we would all lose ALL of the models! In fact, I would say that the v6 is the most important of all since the mpg, the price, and even the hp (300+ regardless of # of cylinders is good and the mpg is fantastic for that power) probably sustains all of the other models.
Great Post

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:51 AM   #41
jazznurse

Drives: 2012 ZL1;2011 Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
And us Mustang owners used to feel bad for the C5 Camaro crowd, with their movie star ride that was almost but not quite a cool Muscle Car. But you'll get no more pity and thrown races from us trying to keep you guys happy. With the ZL1, the gauntlet has been thrown. Now you'll get the respect you craved for so long.

Kidding! Just pulled my car out of storage today and I'm so happy I'm practically giddy. Can't wait to see more 'Stangs, Challengers and Camaros of all types on the road. I'd have to say the bulk of Mustang folk I know are just car people. If its fast, cool or significant, we like it!!!

I play nothing but Gibsons, a ES-335 DOT and a ES-165 Herb Ellis, but I'd jam with you and your strat!
Old 03-26-2012, 05:30 AM   #42
not fast

Drives: 69 z28 & pace car
have suzuki samauri 80 hp
not fast is offline   Reply With Quote