Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 05-02-2016, 10:32 PM   #1
Marlon1LS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LS w/L99/TR6060
Need a tuner that can access BCM

I'm coming up on the finishing connections on my GenV v6 to v8 swap. I'm looking for a tuner capable of matching vins and changing necessary tables for the v8 ECM (which is brand new and blank) to communicate with my v6 BCM. Re-pins have been done with help from Nighttowl of camaro5.

Marlon1LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:47 PM   #2
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Good luck, I haven't seen a 5th Gen V6 to V8 successfully done before.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:53 PM   #3
Marlon1LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy82 View Post
Good luck, I haven't seen a 5th Gen V6 to V8 successfully done before.

If all else fails I'll just do drive by wire haha
Old 05-04-2016, 01:22 PM   #4
alice

Drives: 2010 camaro limited edition turbo
I believe this can be done but I don't know of anyone who has successfully achieved it. Attached is some helpful information for you and your tuner that may help understand what you can do and not do. The BCM flow chart gives you an idea of the electrical architecture in the Camaro. Keep us posted.
Attached Images

alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
Marlon1LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by alice View Post
I believe this can be done but I don't know of anyone who has successfully achieved it. Attached is some helpful information for you and your tuner that may help understand what you can do and not do. The BCM flow chart gives you an idea of the electrical architecture in the Camaro. Keep us posted.

Thanks greatly appreciated.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:52 PM   #6
alice

Drives: 2010 camaro limited edition turbo
These Camaros have very complex electrical systems in them and as you can see from the attachments, you have to be very careful when you try doing something unknown or bad things can happen. Find a very knowledgeable tuner who understands all the BCM's in the car and their functions before attempting to try something trial and error. If you have the ECM that came with the engine, a programmer should be able to Change the VIN to match the V6. If the ECM is new and blank, as you say, I am pretty sure you will have to load a stock V8 program into it, then VIN match. I don't believe you can load a V8 program through the V6 ODB2 port because the GM program server will identify the fact that you are loading the wrong program into a vehicle that was not produced with a V8 and the server will reject the attempt. You will probably be forced to load the V8 program into the ECM with a factory V8 Camaro, then install it in the V6 vehicle. I have already tried this and this is what happened to me. Maybe there are other ways around this but I am sharing this information with you for whatever it is worth. If you figure this out, post it for all of us. Beyond that point, the primary BCM may need to be programmed for the V8 but this is uncharted territory and you need a good programmer that knows what he is doing. Once you get communication and everything checks out, you will probably be the first to do this. Then, others can do swaps without fear of the unknown. Keep all of us posted. Everything I have stated here is what little knowledge I can contribute based on a similar transplant. I can certainly be wrong and I want to make that clear so as not to lead someone in the wrong direction. Swaps are in the infancy stages and it is a new learning process with all these control systems. Hope this helps.

Last edited by alice; 05-04-2016 at 04:12 PM. Reason: added info
alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:53 PM   #7
jas121990
vroom vroom party starter

Drives: 2010 6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas121990 View Post
Also the bcm for the 2010 v6 and 2011 v8 had the same part number when I did the research the bcm will work for either vehicle I tried going thru GM but **** them. Now they say it's on the network and even little shop who do bcm flashs can't do it. I figured it was all about getting the right vin to look up the flash file but it didn't work either. This bcm will hold a flash from both v6 and v8 vins
I don't know what to do maybe buy a new bcm that's already flashed
So they also made it impossible for me to use my v6 bcm here my story
I have a v6 to v8 swap 2010 by 3.6 to a 2011 v8 swap this is how I solved the current issue
GM made it to where I couldnt use my bcm on the v6 so I did some research for the v8 Bcm's part # found it order that bcm one for the v8 installed it in the car flashed the bcm with the matching vin number inside the ECM, THEY HAVE TO MATCH to have communication between the 2 .The v6 bcm wont work because apparently the v6 bcms have a list of vin numbers itll except and the v8 vins ain't one of them something to do with a flash or some bullshit as 2 what I was told and investigated. So now I have my v8 bcm in the car with the matching vin from the ecm and everything works pretty good I've gone in thru hp tuners and turned off certain error codes but blah blah blah also the v8's ecm DOES NOT except v6 vin# I tried and tried and what I've stated was the only way to successfully achieve my swap.
jas121990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:54 PM   #8
lulrog

Drives: 09 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas121990 View Post
So they also made it impossible for me to use my v6 bcm here my story
I have a v6 to v8 swap 2010 by 3.6 to a 2011 v8 swap this is how I solved the current issue
GM made it to where I couldnt use my bcm on the v6 so I did some research for the v8 Bcm's part # found it order that bcm one for the v8 installed it in the car flashed the bcm with the matching vin number inside the ECM, THEY HAVE TO MATCH to have communication between the 2 .The v6 bcm wont work because apparently the v6 bcms have a list of vin numbers itll except and the v8 vins ain't one of them something to do with a flash or some bullshit as 2 what I was told and investigated. So now I have my v8 bcm in the car with the matching vin from the ecm and everything works pretty good I've gone in thru hp tuners and turned off certain error codes but blah blah blah also the v8's ecm DOES NOT except v6 vin# I tried and tried and what I've stated was the only way to successfully achieve my swap.
So did you put the v8 bcm and ecm in the v6? and did you remove the v6 bcm and ecm? or do have both v6 and v8 bcm an ecm in the car???
lulrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:27 AM   #9
InfernoSSDC
InfernoSS

Drives: 13 Camaro SS
How do you pass smog?
InfernoSSDC is offline   Reply With Quote