Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 04-04-2016, 09:26 PM   #99
Phantom20
Righty Tighty Lefty Loosy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imiuru4 View Post
one thing i noticed about this tranny and the one from my c5 is that they like to be drivin, not babied, the harder you drive them the smoother everything seems to be
I have the 2010 2SS with the GL80 automatic transmission. And I guess I have to agree. A bit of slight transmission shakes if I baby the pedal around third gear such that it wants to auto shift up, but I don't give it enough gas to let it do so.

Me mashing on the pedal offers a far smoother drive.
Phantom20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:11 PM   #100
ASimmons04

Drives: 2015 AGM 2SS RS 1LE
Finally was able to get the RP fluids in the trans and rear diff...wow what a difference! So worth the money. I recommend anybody with a 6 speed do this. Rear diff drain plug didn't have too much junk on the magnet. Brand new car with 3800 miles on it at the fluid change. Trans feel like butter now. I didn't necessarily have any issues with the trans before but it definitely feels better now.
ASimmons04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:08 PM   #101
Phantom20
Righty Tighty Lefty Loosy

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASimmons04 View Post
Finally was able to get the RP fluids in the trans and rear diff...wow what a difference! So worth the money. I recommend anybody with a 6 speed do this. Rear diff drain plug didn't have too much junk on the magnet. Brand new car with 3800 miles on it at the fluid change. Trans feel like butter now. I didn't necessarily have any issues with the trans before but it definitely feels better now.
Lucky!

I still have another month and a half before I can get my tranny and rear-differential fluid changed. I've 60k+ miles and the spec says the trans/diffy should be good to 100k (I'll never wait that long) but I wanted to get it all flushed.

The job is too simple for me to pay the dealer $250-$350 for the transmision fluid change and $180 for the rear axle differential fluid change.

But at the same time not simple enough for a man without any tools at his apartment.

My pop doesn't want me propping up any wooden blocks or cheap Walmart jacks under the car to attempt enough clearance to change the fluid so I'm changing it with him when I get back home. He has all the actual tools (that isn't of questionable quality) at his place that we could use there but he thinks we should just borrow a full hydraulic car lift at his friends car shop. So that's why I'm waiting another month and a half before I drive over to visit.

I know the transmission and rear diff fluid can be changed with some slightly higher jacks/portable lifts but I've heard it is still a pain. The full car lift sounds much easier

I don't think I'm going to be doing RP for the rear differential though. It has built in limited slip yeah but some members reported saying it wasn't enough. Chevy raised the recommended amount of limited slip (that they sell) by almost double a few years back. Some guys said they just used RP diff fluid + the GM recommended limited slip at half the amount. But RP technically says to NOT put any other additive with it. I think I'm going to go with the other recommended Mobil 1 rear differential fluid and a bottle of the GM limited slip.

For the tranny fluid. I don't think I'll be doing RP either. The Redline D6 Dexron VI fluid just seems much more recommended so I'll just be using that I guess.
Phantom20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:19 PM   #102
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom20 View Post
"2010 2SS with the GL80 automatic transmission"
This thread is for people with a standard transmission, not an automatic as you state you have.

Completely different !!
Old 04-07-2016, 06:52 AM   #103
kingbow

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMY1LE View Post
This thread is for people with a standard transmission, not an automatic as you state you have.

Completely different !!
You can just install another pedal and make louder clutch depression to engagement noises when tapshifting

Right....?
kingbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:39 PM   #104
MDR1LE

Drives: 15' 2SS/RS/1LE
Went full Royal Purple from front to back for $215.00 from Pep Boys and I am pleased with the difference to say the least
MDR1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:29 PM   #105
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I also changed to royal purple in the tranny but used the 75-90 gear oil. The synchro max seemed to be for cars prior to the gen 5, at least from the Royal purple site. That said years ago I had fried a tranny that had run dry and filled with straight mobile 1 engine oil and it magically made it new again. I am salso going to put in the 3.91 gears next week and will use Royal purple there too. The Royal purple high performance engine oil will be next for the engine and yes it is better than spec and does void the warrantee.
Old thread revival. Good topic and about to do myself when I swap the rear end out. Do I understand from this you can use either the RP Synchromax or the same RP 75w90 you put in the diff for the trans?

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:41 PM   #106
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
Old thread revival. Good topic and about to do myself when I swap the rear end out. Do I understand from this you can use either the RP Synchromax or the same RP 75w90 you put in the diff for the trans?
Royal Purple Synchromax High Performance Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid only in the transmission.

75W90 is for the diff.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:14 PM   #107
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMY1LE View Post
Royal Purple Synchromax High Performance Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid only in the transmission.

75W90 is for the diff.
Thanks, that's what I thought as well. Odd how he phrased that.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 04:48 PM   #108
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
lol old thread... anyway... +1 on RP ....and I like the fact that RP only in rear(no additive) keeps the tires locked better..no peg leg burn outs and just a little jerkin going around corners...also found out with cold weather 2 -3 notchieness is back until trans temp gets to about 150....