Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 05:16 PM   #1
MackSteelPrivateEye

Drives: pontiac
GM to make ventilators

Will GM shutdown the camaro line to make ventilators for Covid19.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:39 PM   #2
50MileSmile

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
No, the "ventilator factory" is in Indiana.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:53 PM   #3
Deputy Dog

Drives: 2017 Go Kart
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
Will GM shutdown the camaro line to make ventilators for Covid19.

Seems Mary Barra, gave Trump a hard time and wanted to back out of making them. Trump forced her using this new emergency act. Sad.
I guess Mary is not too patriotic when it comes to sacrifice in helping out fellow Americans. Trump said Mary always gives him a hard time when trying to get things done.😡
Old Yesterday, 01:05 AM   #4
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
Seems Mary Barra, gave Trump a hard time and wanted to back out of making them. Trump forced her using this new emergency act. Sad.
I guess Mary is not too patriotic when it comes to sacrifice in helping out fellow Americans. Trump said Mary always gives him a hard time when trying to get things done.😡
She likes outsourcing to China
Old Yesterday, 01:05 AM   #5
Petrol Head

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Mary is a witch. She has no idea what to do with Cadillac and making it all electric doesn’t change the fact people just aren’t impressed with their design direction. She’s waffled in what to do with the Camaro. Buick is null and void since she became CEO. GM’s market share is not improving. Even the new Silverado interior design lags the F-150 by most critics. About the only thing she’s done right that everyone universally approves of is the C8 Corvette.

My biggest problem with her is that she’s a GM lifer. She Was hired in 1979 straight out of college as a quality control engineer. Which is where every engineer starts life after college. Quality control. Here kid, sit at your desk all day and make sure these parts fit and work together. That same year the Olds 350 diesel went to full scale production. Coincidence?

The board needs to start looking for her replacement now. GM needs an infusion of young and new ideas with real leadership skills who was NOT with the company when the Cimaron came out.
Moonroof
Dual Mode Exhaust
Straight spoke wheels
Old Yesterday, 04:42 AM   #6
FarmerFran

Drives: Chevy CamaroSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Mary is a witch. She has no idea what to do with Cadillac and making it all electric doesn’t change the fact people just aren’t impressed with their design direction. She’s waffled in what to do with the Camaro. Buick is null and void since she became CEO. GM’s market share is not improving. Even the new Silverado interior design lags the F-150 by most critics. About the only thing she’s done right that everyone universally approves of is the C8 Corvette.

My biggest problem with her is that she’s a GM lifer. She Was hired in 1979 straight out of college as a quality control engineer. Which is where every engineer starts life after college. Quality control. Here kid, sit at your desk all day and make sure these parts fit and work together. That same year the Olds 350 diesel went to full scale production. Coincidence?

The board needs to start looking for her replacement now. GM needs an infusion of young and new ideas with real leadership skills who was NOT with the company when the Cimaron came out.
One thing to add, neither Ford nor Chevy can touch a RAM interior. Not even put together.

But I agree with this.
Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM   #7
hotlap

Drives: 18 Hot Wheels 2SS M6
Quote:
I guess Mary is not too patriotic when it comes to sacrifice in helping out fellow Americans. Trump said Mary always gives him a hard time when trying to get things done.��
Trump called out Mary B and put a boot up her ass. He also made reference to her “stupidity” closing the Lordstown assembly plant ...so production could be moved to Mexico. He -too- appears irritated with “this” GM
Quote:
“Our fight against the virus is too urgent to allow the give-and-take of the contracting process to continue to run its normal course,” Trump said in a statement. “GM was wasting time. Today’s action will help ensure the quick production of ventilators that will save American lives.”
Quote:
As usual with ‘this’ General Motors, things just never seem to work out. They said they were going to give us 40,000 much needed Ventilators, “very quickly”. Now they are saying it will only be 6000, in late April, and they want top dollar. Always a mess with Mary B. Invoke ‘P.’ ”
Old Yesterday, 08:42 AM   #8
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
One thing to add, neither Ford nor Chevy can touch a RAM interior. Not even put together.

But I agree with this.
When I was looking for a new truck in late 2012 my 2008 gmc 2500 diesel was identical to the 2013 gmc so I did not want the same truck and I looked at Ford and Dodge. I ended up buying a 2013 dodge ram 2500 loaded diesel because I liked the interior. After owning it I can say their interior is garbage and the rest of the truck was even worse. I got ride of it after 3 months and 1700 miles because losing 4k in trade was better then keeping it and their corporate service and backing of their product. You couldn't pay me to buy a chrysler product. Just picked up a 2020 gmc at4 2500 diesel loaded with all the goodies and couldn't be happier.
I will say though gm needs to step up in the design department. I used to buy chevy diesels (04 and 06) but since then its been GMC based on looks alone (08,15,17,20). Current chevy silverado is ugly, Buick has nothing that even warrants a test drive, The only thing cadillac has that gets my attention is the ctsv and the 2019 camaro was an abortion the 2020 camaro helped but still prefer the 18 front end and tail lights. And while I am at it they need to put more hp in the camaro and a manual option and more hp in the c8.
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM   #9
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by closs2sx View Post
When I was looking for a new truck in late 2012 my 2008 gmc 2500 diesel was identical to the 2013 gmc so I did not want the same truck and I looked at Ford and Dodge. I ended up buying a 2013 dodge ram 2500 loaded diesel because I liked the interior. After owning it I can say their interior is garbage and the rest of the truck was even worse. I got ride of it after 3 months and 1700 miles because losing 4k in trade was better then keeping it and their corporate service and backing of their product. You couldn't pay me to buy a chrysler product. Just picked up a 2020 gmc at4 2500 diesel loaded with all the goodies and couldn't be happier.
I will say though gm needs to step up in the design department. I used to buy chevy diesels (04 and 06) but since then its been GMC based on looks alone (08,15,17,20). Current chevy silverado is ugly, Buick has nothing that even warrants a test drive, The only thing cadillac has that gets my attention is the ctsv and the 2019 camaro was an abortion the 2020 camaro helped but still prefer the 18 front end and tail lights. And while I am at it they need to put more hp in the camaro and a manual option and more hp in the c8.
This. GM are soon going to keep losing market share unless they address their issues.
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM   #10
FarmerFran

Quote:
Originally Posted by closs2sx View Post
To each their own.

I own a 2020 RAM Limited and I will put it up against any truck on the market. But I should keep my non GM preferential posts to non GM forums
Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM   #11
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Many years ago I toured the Kokomo, IN (then AC Delco) electronics plant on a job interview. At the time it was mostly printed circuit board & component assembly with a chassis line for radios and other modules. The facility had a class 100 cleanroom.

Ventilators are class 2 medical devices. At the time, the facility, while a cleanroom, was not rated for medical device manufacturing. The Kokomo plant is not in the FDA establishment registration database, and GM does not operate any FDA licensed medical device manufacturing facilities.

The good news however, is that being a cleanroom, the site will likely already be ~90% complaint with environmental and pest controls. To get it completely rated for class 2 medical device manufacturing, GM will need a team of at least a dozen FDA inspectors helping to establish (not auditing) and execute the ISO13485 validation plan. That alone will take at least a week just to document everything correctly. There is no "waiver" authority for the President or anyone else for this requirement in the current US CFR, and none of the recent bills passed by congress allow it either.

Assuming that 1) the Ventec process is well documented which it likely is, and more important 2) GM has sourced 100% of the components and this is a huge assumption, it will take about 2 weeks to execute the training and validation plans from "go" which I am guessing was about 3 days ago.

I would expect the first Kokomo produced ventilator delivery by 9-April best case.
Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM   #12
FarmerFran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Many years ago I toured the Kokomo, IN (then AC Delco) electronics plant on a job interview. At the time it was mostly printed circuit board & component assembly with a chassis line for radios and other modules. The facility had a class 100 cleanroom.

Ventilators are class 2 medical devices. At the time, the facility, while a cleanroom, was not rated for medical device manufacturing. The Kokomo plant is not in the FDA establishment registration database, and GM does not operate any FDA licensed medical device manufacturing facilities.

The good news however, is that being a cleanroom, the site will likely already be ~90% complaint with environmental and pest controls. To get it completely rated for class 2 medical device manufacturing, GM will need a team of at least a dozen FDA inspectors helping to establish (not auditing) and execute the ISO13485 validation plan. That alone will take at least a week just to document everything correctly. There is no "waiver" authority for the President or anyone else for this requirement in the current US CFR, and none of the recent bills passed by congress allow it either.

Assuming that 1) the Ventec process is well documented which it likely is, and more important 2) GM has sourced 100% of the components and this is a huge assumption, it will take about 2 weeks to execute the training and validation plans from "go" which I am guessing was about 3 days ago.

I would expect the first Kokomo produced ventilator delivery by 9-April best case.

i hope so, because this does not look like it is ending anytime soon.
Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM   #13
Deputy Dog

Drives: 2017 Go Kart
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
She likes outsourcing to China

Peter Navarro said she was nitpicking and was dragging the contract out for days while people were dying. Trump stepped in and forced the "Defense Production Act" to get her ass moving. She's an embarrasment to patriotic Americans. She showed her true colors which is Green. She needs to step down since she failed to step up. This woman personally makes $22million a year in Salary and compensation, yet she still b!tching over contracts in a National Emergency!! Obviously no one in her family has died from the disease. Barra...Step the Eff down! I just had a friend who died Wed morn. from Covid because he couldn't breath so this hits home for me.

Last edited by Deputy Dog; Yesterday at 10:51 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM   #14
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
She won’t step down from GM! She was endorsed by Obama while he was in office so we can’t expect anything else!
ZL1 Coupe, PDR, Exposed carbon fiber hood insert, My Link with Nav, M6 6 speed and Silver Ice Metallic. Mods done: ceramic window tint, drop in Summit Racing panel air filter and GM Accessories Camaro floor mats
Closed Thread