Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Do you still want Z28?
I'll take Z28 over ZL1 any day! 85 32.69%
Nah - ZL1 suits me just fine 132 50.77%
I'll wait for Z28 until the 6th Generation comes out 43 16.54%
Voters: 260. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Z28 or ZL1

GM could be watching - so what do you think?

Honestly - despite the original Z28, I was hoping this ZL1 would've been Z28, however, my tiny bit of initial disappointment is GONE. I like, very much, that Chevy is tying the technology of the ZL-1 engine had into the complete technologically advanced package in ZL1.

So - should Z28 return as a direct competitor for the Boss? We already know it has a weight advantage, but we have a totally capable chassis and I think if we trickle some ZL1 technology down to Z28, it would more than make up for a weight advantage the Boss might have. Get the aero', brakes, MR shocks, and exhaust elements and add some more power to LS3, and I think we'd have a great competitor. I seriously doubt GM is going to strip Z28 down below what LS is now, so I'm not thinking no A/C, radio, rear set, etc.; and I'm not thinking a Gen V engine. Even though ZL1 is getting next generation MR technology before 'Vette and CTS-V, I don't think Z28 would get a new powertrain before them, too.

What sounds like a good package to you? Do you think Z28 should be positioned between SS and ZL1 in terms of price and performance? Should we just wait for the 6th Gen before bringing Z28 back?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
BustedCrank

Drives: Broken
I was pleased with the name, and it leaves the Z28 name to compete with the Boss, as it should be.
I really think that they should not let the boss run around unanswered for that long. I do not think it would be very difficult to put a car together that is worthy of the name on this platform. Start with the ls7, may as well sell more while you can because there are not many going into z06s these days. If i remember right, there were less then 400 z06s built in 2010. Could use a wet sump to keep the cost down, I say give it the dry sump anyway. More money then putting a cam in the ls3 (like the 480 horse crate ls3), but still less then the LSA. Use the same transmission, rear end, and brakes the Zl1 is getting. Use a more aggressive spring setup then the SS uses, or go with a coil-over setup, but have the mag ride an option at least. Wheels from the SSX concept, wrapped with same goodyears as the ZL1. Limit the options to keep weight down, as in no sunroof or power seats, things like that. Maybe leave out some sound deadening material and weight saving treatment ala c5 z06. Use the zl1 front fascia or something similar to get some air to the brakes. Dont need the heat extraction hood from the ZL1 with the ls7, maybe the whole hood, same look as an SS, built with carbon fiber just for marketing purposes. Ground effects and rear spoiler the same or similar to the ZL1. I think this car could weigh an acceptable amount for this platform, easily beat a boss around a track, and be done between the price of an SS and ZL1 (albeit closer to the ZL1), and be a good car for the RPO code Z28.

On another note, no way a Z28 would be out before the zl1, and by then the new engines will be available. So maybe use the LT1 in a Z28 while still using a LS3 in the SS, and LSA in the ZL1. But I vote for an LS7, keep the new engine for the new generation and bring the sixth gen in with a bang.

People keep saying a z28 will not bring new buyers to the camaro. While a different body kit, little changes here and there wouldn't, I believe a Z28 with an LS7 would. If not new, it would definitely bring some returning customers from people trading in their SSs
BustedCrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
In the end, it's not the name that makes a car great, it's the performance!

Call it Mildred if you want... If it goes like a scalded cat, I'm in
Old 02-14-2011, 11:02 AM   #4
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
I had never heard of a ZL1 until this 2012 one came out, so the Z28 is a familiar moniker and my preferred choice. The only other specialty Camaros I had heard of from '69 were the Yenkos and the Copos. I was born in '73, so that may be why
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
I can't vote... The bottom 2 apply, and depending on what a Z/28 consisted of, I may back-pedal to a ZL1

Having said that... If they built a car with the new 5.5, even de-stroked to a high-revving 5.0, and call it a 302, that would be cool.
They already have the bigger brakes in the bins,
go to Recaro for a lightweight seating option,
stiffen up the suspension bushings,
4.10 rear axle ratio,
flare the front fenders a bit and put 305 (or 295) wide tires all 4 corners with light wheels,
..... That's a start, and I haven't really added anything that would be a bank breaker except for the motor redesign.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
praying for a 5.5 direct engine V8 with 373's better exaust, intake, etc.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
lil_red_v6
one wheelin

Drives: 2004 yamaha r6
Send a message via Yahoo to lil_red_v6
i cant make a choice on that. the zl1 is a mean machine and of the code name z28 comes out yea i said IF ,then it comes out. who knows. it would be a great car too. think about this thought would the SSX be the z28?
lil_red_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #8
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Here's a question:

With the 5th Generation Camaros, if a Z/28 were to be built, where should it stand in relation to the existing trim levels?

ZL1 > SS > Z/28 > V6

or

ZL1 > Z/28 > SS > V6

If the latter, how do you think that would make the current SS owners feel?

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
It APPEARS they're trying to stay true to the 69 era with the ZL1 being the bad azz apple of the bunch. So, since back in the day, the SS was the next in line street hauler, then the Z28, but I could go with CamaroSkooter's latter. And I'm ok with that.

But that said, if the Z28 has great suspension and other technology, we may have to pay for that, so you MIGHT end up with Z28 > SS. Which is still ok with me. A turbo or supercharged V6 with suspension mods that was called Z28 would ALMOST work too, but then it would be breaking with tradition in that a Z28 having a V6 for the first time EVER. But you never know.

Final analysis....it really doesn't matter. They are building Camaros. We WIN!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I wanted the ZL1 to be named "Z28"....It's not, and I can say I've gotten used to it. The reasons I wanted it to be called Z28 were purely selfish...My Dad has a '79 Z28 and I thought it would be freaking cool to have a Z28 just like the old man.

But the formula they used for the ZL1 is what I wanted in a Camaro. A Boss-type Camaro is not what I wanted...

So -- do I think they should bring back the name? Absolutely - it's much too honored and respected to be collecting dust. Do I think they should make it a Boss-eater? Again, absolutely...there's no other position for it:

We've got the economy Camaros in the LS and LTs,
The everyday performance Camaro in the SS,
The King of Camaros in the ZL1,
and if a Z28 comes back we'll have our track-master.

I fully expect a Z28 to take no prisoners, and be amazing at what it's intended to do -- but I'm not going to wait for it. I belong in a ZL1. So that's what I'll try and get.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I wanted the ZL1 to be named "Z28"....It's not, and I can say I've gotten used to it. The reasons I wanted it to be called Z28 were purely selfish...My Dad has a '79 Z28 and I thought it would be freaking cool to have a Z28 just like the old man.

But the formula they used for the ZL1 is what I wanted in a Camaro. A Boss-type Camaro is not what I wanted...

So -- do I think they should bring back the name? Absolutely - it's much too honored and respected to be collecting dust. Do I think they should make it a Boss-eater? Again, absolutely...there's no other position for it:

We've got the economy Camaros in the LS and LTs,
The everyday performance Camaro in the SS,
The King of Camaros in the ZL1,
and if a Z28 comes back we'll have our track-master.

I fully expect a Z28 to take no prisoners, and be amazing at what it's intended to do -- but I'm not going to wait for it. I belong in a ZL1. So that's what I'll try and get.
THESE!!! My quotes for the day. MUCHO KUDOS!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 02-14-2011, 01:45 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
THESE!!! My quotes for the day. MUCHO KUDOS!!!
You're welcome?

Old 02-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #13
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
You're welcome?

Well - they're selfish because my first car was a '95 Z28. My dad is Mustang-guy, so I had to make that tiny distinction

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 02-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #14
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Nice idea. And I think GM is watching. I think they are paying very close attention to the online forums because if you look at the ZL1, you see exactly what the gen5 Camaro guys are aiming for: power, handling and reliabilty.

GM claims to have really beefed up the driveline to handle the F/I power and they provided a vented hood, so we know that vented hoods are a real good idea for this particular engine bay when there is a blower underneath.

The ZL1 would suit me just fine. In fact, I would love one, but I will just be an admirer.

I think the Z28 should be on hold until the next gen, smaller chassis comes out.

Even though we can help our cars lose weight and we can do suspension mods, I would rather wait for a smaller chassis and less weight to begin wtih.

I also wouldn't mind seeing the Z28 be N/A.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote