Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-03-2015, 08:51 AM   #43
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:07 AM   #44
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
As a builder, my #1 priority isn't make a car fast. My #1 priority is making the driver as safe as possible. There is data that suggest a neck collar is not terribly effective. Harnesses are incredibly effective, but should not be used without a HANS. Harness bars are great for AC, but I have seen them bend in road course impacts. Bolt in cages are a false sense of security. NASCAR cage builders get get it.

A fire extinguisher in a road course car is an object ready to cause blunt force trauma when it breaks free on impact. Fire suppression systems are now cheap and reliable, two words rarely strung together and can be discreetly installed while providing effective fire control.

Think of a helmet as the container for all you are today and all you ever will be. Helmets should be bought by weight. Lighter is better. Buy the absolute best and lightest helmet you can afford.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:23 AM   #45
pmili75

Drives: 2015 Z/28 AGM
Part out???

Still waiting for insurance company. Adjuster seems set on total but I guess need to justify to carrier.

There are three layers. Company that sells the policy, underwriter, and independent adjuster. So far no issues but I'm still waiting for numbers.
pmili75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:30 AM   #46
pmili75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
As a builder, my #1 priority isn't make a car fast. My #1 priority is making the driver as safe as possible. There is data that suggest a neck collar is not terribly effective. Harnesses are incredibly effective, but should not be used without a HANS. Harness bars are great for AC, but I have seen them bend in road course impacts. Bolt in cages are a false sense of security. NASCAR cage builders get get it.

A fire extinguisher in a road course car is an object ready to cause blunt force trauma when it breaks free on impact. Fire suppression systems are now cheap and reliable, two words rarely strung together and can be discreetly installed while providing effective fire control.

Think of a helmet as the container for all you are today and all you ever will be. Helmets should be bought by weight. Lighter is better. Buy the absolute best and lightest helmet you can afford.

Agree with everything your saying. Let's face it taking a street car on a race track with nothing but a long sleeve shirt, collar and a helmet isn't without substantial risk.

Since I've already diminished the value of my " collector car" lol... I'm thinking of taking her all the way to fully gutted , caged...fire system etc. But to be honest once I take the dual purpose away there are all lot better platforms to build into a race car. With the Camaro you will alway have a heavy car with all the system stresses that come along with that.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:54 AM   #47
XTREMZ

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #891
pmili75;

I just came across this post from last year. I'm sorry to hear about your Z28. Did the insurance work out alright? I have 10 track days on my Z28 and have only bought insurance once, that was for my first day at Palmer. I beginning to re-think this policy, especially since my off-track excursion at Thompson a few weeks ago. I was in the habit of running in PTM3 mode, decided to try PTM4, which switches off the stabilitrak. Lost the back end turning into turn #9 ( the lefthander ), did a 180, slid off track, fortunately onto the grass...a real wake-up call. So, I'm back to running in PTM3.

In talking myself out of insurance I was thinking I would take more risks with the car if it was insured than if it wasn't.

I'm glad you escaped harm. That turn (#6 )where you lost it has a really bad reputation. Lots of folks lose it there and skid across the track into the wall.

I hope you are back on the track. I'm in Metrowest Boston and track my Z at Thompson, Palmer and Lime Rock. Doing Lime Rock this Saturday to close out season.

Thanks for the great post you put up. Think I'll buy the insurance!
XTREMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:20 PM   #48
AlmightyEl

Drives: 2014 Camaro LT
Can anybody tell me if my car is totaled ?
AlmightyEl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:46 PM   #49
imaSSnake
'Maro

Drives: 2015 SS 6.2L Auto 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyEl View Post
Can anybody tell me if my car is totaled ?
Great first post. Welcome
Old 01-05-2017, 09:10 PM   #50
pmili75

Insurance is key

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTREMZ View Post
pmili75;

I just came across this post from last year. I'm sorry to hear about your Z28. Did the insurance work out alright? I have 10 track days on my Z28 and have only bought insurance once, that was for my first day at Palmer. I beginning to re-think this policy, especially since my off-track excursion at Thompson a few weeks ago. I was in the habit of running in PTM3 mode, decided to try PTM4, which switches off the stabilitrak. Lost the back end turning into turn #9 ( the lefthander ), did a 180, slid off track, fortunately onto the grass...a real wake-up call. So, I'm back to running in PTM3.

In talking myself out of insurance I was thinking I would take more risks with the car if it was insured than if it wasn't.

I'm glad you escaped harm. That turn (#6 )where you lost it has a really bad reputation. Lots of folks lose it there and skid across the track into the wall.

I hope you are back on the track. I'm in Metrowest Boston and track my Z at Thompson, Palmer and Lime Rock. Doing Lime Rock this Saturday to close out season.

Thanks for the great post you put up. Think I'll buy the insurance!

The did not actually ever total the car. I took the repair money and then sold it as wrecked to a friend who was going to take the parts and build sick 67 restomod. I think he got cold feet and sold it again to I guy who was going to repair it to make it a track car.

Any way it was a miserable experience but financially was excellent for me as I got all the money I laid out on the car back.

I bought a 2016 485 hp Scat Pack and a 2005 911S. I'm sure I'll end up with another Camaro soon...they are my first love as a 85 was my first car and a 1967 RS was my first toy car. Love my Camaros
Old 01-12-2017, 01:38 PM   #51
shiroji

Drives: 2015 Z28
How do you buy track insurance? Any suggestions on companies? Thank you
shiroji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:32 AM   #52
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Pmili75 - how do you like the Challenger? I drove a couple before I bought my Z and really, really liked them, especially the A8 transmission.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:02 PM   #53
frenchsquared

Drives: 15 Z28, 01 Corvette, 96 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiroji View Post
How do you buy track insurance? Any suggestions on companies? Thank you
https://www.motorsportreg.com/index..../hpdeinsurance

They sell it, I don't have any first hand reviews.
frenchsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:34 AM   #54
shiroji

Drives: 2015 Z28
Thank you for the link
shiroji is offline   Reply With Quote