Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #29
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
Not digging that harsh 90 degree elbow
No way I'd pay $395 for that. You can get one on ebay that looks better than that for $119
Old 12-05-2014, 06:16 PM   #30
Blake_GM

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS in IBM
CAI Inc.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #31
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
lordy lordy. these threads can really get tiring. like some have said, everyone has a price preference and brand preference. most like Rotofab, CAI, etc are all good. i personally have a ROtofab.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:17 PM   #32
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
I would tend to agree but... if that "one guy" is Ted Jannetty, I would tend to weigh his testing quite heavily.
No disrespect but..its still one guy....if it was a mod that added a lot more then a cai does I might have a different view . I saw a post...cant remember where about somebody that did a dyno with a vmax throttlebody that showed it lost power. Yet ive seen a vid done at a shop that swaped out the stocker for a v max and did show gains. I like to see more then one source as a proving ground.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:25 PM   #33
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
The best is whatever I have or whatever I'm selling!

Good to see so much has changed on hear. Anyone know which long tune headers sound the best?
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 11:48 PM   #34
satxrider
Bad 45th

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversay Edition SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedEnergy View Post
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this one ... https://www.lgmotorsports.com/camaro...induction.html
If you were going to go with that, you might as well use the K&N. Less expensive, same basic design and looks better.
Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger / Alky Meth Injection / Lingenfelter GT12 Cam / Kooks LT Headers, 3 inch exhaust & QTP electric cut outs / Monster LT1-S Twin Disc Clutch / MGW flat blade short throw shifter / Haltech CAI / VMax Throttle Body / DSS Stage 3 axles/ BMR Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Suspension Bushing and 1" lowering springs / Taylor 8MM Plug Wires / Tuned by Henderson Performance Technologies / EBC dimpled and sloted rotors / G2 Painted Calipers / GM Tower Strut Brace / ZL1 Factory Rep Wheels
satxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #35
Vipercar

Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT/RS
I like the CAI air intake. Real or not I feel a little extra oomph! Lol
Vipercar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:08 PM   #36
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
I see no fault in Ted's testing what so ever ,it was very well done and comprehensive . I have the CAI with the Apex race scoop and it works great ,and is excellent quality in fit and finish.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #37
jonnyb

Drives: IBM 2SS/RS
Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyb
I have a used AirRaid I will sell you for $300. I paid $400 for it. It would not work with my supercharger/hood clearance. No BS.
Old 12-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #38
rozay

Drives: camaro 2LS LFX A6
even the ebay ones work just spend what u like
Old 12-06-2014, 03:17 PM   #39
GONIF

A quick look at the bolt on fast list tells you what works .http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...bolt+fast+list
You see who go's fast, then you look at their mods and the brand of intake .That will tell you what works in real life .

Last edited by GONIF; 12-06-2014 at 03:28 PM.
GONIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:15 PM   #40
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
It's a cold air intake. There really isn't much going on, here. Pick what you like. If you think you can feel a 5-10rwhp gain on a 3900 lb vehicle, I'm impressed. Most of the feeling of "gains" are the placebo effect. I don't think anyone can notice a tenth in the quarter mile.

I bought a CAI intake simply because I feel it is made the best and looks the best under the hood, and testing shows it doesn't alter AFR as much as other intakes and I DO NOT intend to tune the car for warranty purposes. Because it seems to be the best performer on the stock tune and looks the best in my opinion, I pulled the trigger. It mildly helped with some of the (terrible) stock throttle lag and sort of increased intake noise a bit. I felt no SOTP gains at all worth mentioning. I'm sure there WERE gains, but again, I strongly doubt people can really feel a 5-10rwhp difference on a 3900 lb car.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #41
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Get a vararam or any other intake that has a "race scoop" which consumes air from outside your engine bay area.

Think about it. The cold air intakes you see on the forum pretty much use the same type on cone filter. Some may have slightly better flow characteristic than others, but not enough to make 10 RWHP difference.

So what do you really want to look for?

1) Look for a system that gets the coldest amount of air into your engine quickest.

2) Clears the air inside the intake tube the quickest. ( shortest tube).

3) A unit that doesn't breath in engine bay air.

So lets say they all produce about the same amount of HP on a dyno with fans blowing on a car, then look at what systems clears the air tube quickest and breaths air from outside the engine bay when your on the street.

I really don't like the intake thread. To many variables I saw on the spread sheet. I saw different AFR, timing, Fuel Trims out of wack, assorted IATs, tuned and not tuned vehicles, and different cars on different days.

A lot of work went into the test, but the variables and consistencies of the cars could have flawed the testing protocols.

So that really brings me back to one system and its on my Corvette and Camaro. The Vararam.

No I don't sell the Vararam. I actual can sell another brand that works well if you purchase the race scoop that breaths air from in from of the car.

The air being consumed from outside of the engine bay is the type of intake you want.

That's my performance tip of the day

Phil
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:05 PM   #42
GONIF

Believe it or not ,with the CAI and apex race scoop I felt it at about 40mph and up . No BS . I do think that most of these must have a huge profit margin ,but that's the nature of most aftermarket high performance parts . ya wanna play ya gotta pay . And all testing needs to be done with the hood closed ,that's the way you drive . It makes me laugh when I see a dyno run being done with the hood open . All you need is a big fan in front of the car to keep the rad cool .