Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 09-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
Park or Dismount for winter... 1LE Goodyear facts?

Due to what appears as facts confusion, I ask for some feedback.

My 1LE hibernates in the winter. Fact is the temps around here can have extended temps below freezing for weeks. I do keep a small heater in my garage as I also kennel my dog in the nights in my garage.

But I have read alot about the tires and with winter coming I need to resolve facts from fiction.

1... do I need to pull the tires and take them inside?

2... can I leave them garaged on the car knowing the car will not be moved till spring?

Or 3... should I keep them on the car but have the car on jackstands to keep the load off them.

Quite honestly I get the impression from the goodyear bulletin that all I have to do is park it and not move it.

Feedback and opinions please.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:39 PM   #2
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Nope. There are members here on this forum whose tires have cracked while not being moved. If the temps in your garage are going to drop below 25 degrees - pull them inside.

Personally, I'm going to switch up to Pilot Super Sports as a daily-driving tire as I don't have a garage and park the car outside.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:53 PM   #3
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
I picked up a set of 19" wheels and tires from a member on C5 for $450. Cheap price to pay to avoid an "oh sh.." moment come April. The car won't leave the garage, but still I didnt want to take a chance
LT1Zob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:54 AM   #4
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
We had the worst winter here in Michigan in years..

1LE parked in unheated garage, tires mounted, sat on concrete from November until May. Only thing I did was 40 psi on all 4 corners.

No issues, no cracks..flat spots etc.

To each his own.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
roadblock

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE BRM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
We had the worst winter here in Michigan in years..

1LE parked in unheated garage, tires mounted, sat on concrete from November until May. Only thing I did was 40 psi on all 4 corners.

No issues, no cracks..flat spots etc.

To each his own.
I am with Banshee on this one. The tread compound used in our tires is not suitable for winter driving. That only means that there will be very limited traction at lower temperatures. I do not believe that lower temperatures are detrimental to the rubber compounds ability to survive.
roadblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:18 AM   #6
Billy10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadblock View Post
I am with Banshee on this one. The tread compound used in our tires is not suitable for winter driving. That only means that there will be very limited traction at lower temperatures. I do not believe that lower temperatures are detrimental to the rubber compounds ability to survive.
The F1 G2s WILL CRACK under 20 degrees. There are severage C5 members who've had it happen, some while parked:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...3&d=1359149475
Old 09-16-2014, 08:23 AM   #7
Schluney

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Quote:

My first set cracked... Although the car was stuck on a trailer for 10 days at the rail yard due to frozen hydraulics as the temps frequently saw -30... Also it arrived Saturday evening sat inside until Monday morning when they moved it outside in the high of -28 all day until PDI was done that evening. So I think it has to be extreme conditions but under the right circumstances they will crack
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  211.1 KB
Old 09-16-2014, 08:57 AM   #8
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T View Post
Due to what appears as facts confusion, I ask for some feedback.

My 1LE hibernates in the winter. Fact is the temps around here can have extended temps below freezing for weeks. I do keep a small heater in my garage as I also kennel my dog in the nights in my garage.

But I have read alot about the tires and with winter coming I need to resolve facts from fiction.

1... do I need to pull the tires and take them inside?

2... can I leave them garaged on the car knowing the car will not be moved till spring?

Or 3... should I keep them on the car but have the car on jackstands to keep the load off them.

Quite honestly I get the impression from the goodyear bulletin that all I have to do is park it and not move it.

Feedback and opinions please.
Sounds like your garage will be warm enough to keep them on the car. I would put them on flatstoppers(at most) and inflate to 40 degrees.

Link to flatstoppers:

http://www.amazon.com/Race-Ramps-RR-.../dp/B003ZAGJAM

Do not do #3, as that would be very bad for your suspension components.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #9
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Amazing. I live in Florida so luckily I don't need to worry about this issue but I think about how poor the traction is with these tires when they are cold. I can only imagine what happens when they are ice cold. I am picturing sneakers on ice.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:11 AM   #10
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Ditto - I left mine on the car, in an unheated garage last winter parked on insulating foam pads. I was worried too so I kept track of temps all last winter. It got as low as 10F and hit 15F a number of days. I had no problem with cracking or flatspots. I only inflated to 35 psi, I also didn't move the car until temps were above 40F for more than 24 hours (per the bulletin).

I can see how extreme cold could a problem though. The stories I've read about them cracking seem to be outside storage where wind chill/gusting could be a factor. I've read the bulletin many times and didn't see wording like "required" to store above 40F.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:14 AM   #11
1bad1le

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy10mm View Post
Personally, I'm going to switch up to Pilot Super Sports as a daily-driving tire as I don't have a garage and park the car outside.
I am doing this tomorrow and keeping the goodyears for when I sell the car.
1bad1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:44 AM   #12
Billy10mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bad1le View Post
I am doing this tomorrow and keeping the goodyears for when I sell the car.
Keeping mine until next year's autocross season.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #13
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
This is why i will be installing a heated floor in my garage when I build my house.

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #14
Shiftgreen

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE AGM
what if you wrap the tires in an insulated blanket while being stored in a unheated garage?

I was planning on doing that b/c I doubt I will have 1400 bucks to shell out by Dec for Michelins.
Shiftgreen is offline   Reply With Quote